Forums » Pantheon Races

Anyone else hoping for Half-Elves eventually?

• 334 posts
    January 3, 2019 12:57 PM PST

Not sure if Half-Elves will even be a "thing" in the world of Terminus, but they're a race I've always really enjoyed playing. They strike a nice balance between Humans and Elves in terms of their stats, as well as having to contend with the difficulty of being torn between two worlds, often times unable to find a true place/acceptance in either. The addition of this race (post-launch, of course) wouldn't require any new zones or cities, since they'd likely start in the same locations as Humans.

• 612 posts
    January 4, 2019 6:09 AM PST

I always find it interesting that people will suggest 'Half Elves' but stop there without suggesting we also need 'Half Dwarves', 'Half Ogres', or even 'Half Gnomes' or if you really want your mind blown, imagine this... 'Half Halflings'.

It doesn't always have to be Elves that create half Human hybrids.

In Harry Potter there werre several Half Breeds that were not part Elf. Of the known ones were Hagrid and Olympe Maxime who are both Half-Giant. Professor Filius Flitwick is 1/8th Goblin. And then there is Fleur Delacour whose mother was Half Veela making her and her sister 1/4 Veela.

Anyway... I'm not trying to downplay your desire to play a Half Human and Elf race, but if they do go that route how do they explain that Elves and Humans mix, but the other races which are very similar to humans don't ever mix? And we haven't even got into the mixing of races that don't involve Human at all, such as Half Ogre and Elf hybrid. And if you mix an Ogre and Halfling, does their child look like a very tall Halfling, or a very short Ogre?

• 334 posts
    January 5, 2019 11:31 AM PST

@Goofy, I admit my desire for Half-Elves is purely preferrential and only based on the older fantasy that Pantheon is deriving much of its lore from, which, admittedly, rarely contains mention of Half-Dwarves or Half-Ogres or whatever else. Having to explain that (or not explain it) is something that EQ/EQ2 also faced. They can handle that however they wish.

• 14 posts
    February 12, 2019 3:25 AM PST

If you think about it, it's a bit odd to have a "half anything" race. It leaves a race as a sort of middle ground between two races instead of a class with a more clear identity. It opens the doors for all sorts of half-of-everythings. I played a half-elf ranger in EverQuest and a half-elf Bard, yet I still think it's better to get away from this "half" racial concept in preference for purer racial identities. I know it has a lot of history in D&D and MUDs, but I think I actually prefer strong racial identities for the sake of offering something truly unique instead of some kind of middle ground.

• 2886 posts
    February 12, 2019 12:38 PM PST

Remember that all the races in Terminus have come from completely different worlds. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for a Half Elf race to come to Terminus from another world since the Elves and Humans have been on completely separate worlds up until now. A Half Elf race therefore would have to have been initiated on Terminus itself by interracial breeding between the Elves and Humans that exist on Terminus, and the races haven't really been on Terminus long enough for that to happen. I think VR would be much better served by introducing more unique races, especially ones that aren't so humanoid, rather than just following with the traditional fantasy races. They have the freedom within the lore to introduce some much more interesting races - they should use that freedom imo. 

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 12, 2019 12:39 PM PST
    • 46 posts
    February 12, 2019 1:55 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Remember that all the races in Terminus have come from completely different worlds. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for a Half Elf race to come to Terminus from another world since the Elves and Humans have been on completely separate worlds up until now. A Half Elf race therefore would have to have been initiated on Terminus itself by interracial breeding between the Elves and Humans that exist on Terminus, and the races haven't really been on Terminus long enough for that to happen. I think VR would be much better served by introducing more unique races, especially ones that aren't so humanoid, rather than just following with the traditional fantasy races. They have the freedom within the lore to introduce some much more interesting races - they should use that freedom imo. 

To piggyback on what Bazgrim said, they could easily (within the lore) say there will never be a half-anything race due to all the races coming from different planets and are therefor not genetically compatible.

• 10 posts
    February 25, 2019 10:31 PM PST
    I don't care what the naysayers think, I would LOVE to see half elves. They were one of the coolest looking races in EQ.