Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Should spells/buffs persist after removed from bar?

• 627 posts
    January 3, 2019 12:31 AM PST
    I like the out of combat bar skill bar, and if you need the buff in fights it needs to be on your "main bar".

I personally think swapping spells in and out would become tedious especially when playing shaman..
    • 75 posts
    January 3, 2019 3:04 AM PST

This is an interesting idea in theory, but at the end of the day I think it is best they persist while not memmed because otherwise buff heavy classes become heavily restricted on what toolset they can bring to a group. Playing a buffbot wouldn't be as fun in my eyes as a character who can more actively partake in encounters.

• 245 posts
    January 3, 2019 4:47 AM PST

This would completely ruin all three healers and the Enchanter.

• 1479 posts
    January 3, 2019 5:12 AM PST

Initially, I thought they should be removed. That way buffing wouldn't be mandatory but weighted against other options :

Should you really mem and haste buff the rogue if your group is caster heavy ? Id this strong dot better than a weak str buff you had 20 levels ago ?

It  creates interesting patterns of decision, but ultimately I feel it wouldn't be manageable :

-if your buffer is LD or logged off, should buff retains ? ( alt buff bots exploit)

-if a random stranger buffs you on his way, but gets a group 5min later and unmem the buff are you suddently stripped of it ? ( low level indirect player killing exploit )

While it would have created strong layers of decision and strategy, I feel it would only work for GW1 style of games (instanced group content only) where your choices only concern your group. It would reduce the social aspect of the game while creating more drawbacks than benefits.

Thus, I think buff swapping should be a thing but their uptime and array should be balanced around mana cost more than anything. If you can't manage more than two buffs on your party before going OOM then swapping is not much of an issue.

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at January 3, 2019 5:13 AM PST
    • 1921 posts
    January 3, 2019 8:35 AM PST

zoltar said: ... My point is that constantly switching buffs in and out of your skillbar circumvents the point of having a limited number of skills. ...

No-one is circumventing anything.  The inability to change or re-memorize spells only applies when in combat.  Some players will have buffs on their in combat hotbar, some won't. 
    It's their choice, sure, but circumvention implies cleverly avoiding something, when that's not the case at all with the current in-combat restriction.

There are no such restrictions, out of combat, with the current public design goals.

• 14 posts
    January 3, 2019 8:54 AM PST
    Yes, they need to persist after off bar.
    • 430 posts
    January 3, 2019 9:04 AM PST

Agree they need to persist , Fondest memories was buffing people .  If I  buff others and happen to change my skill sets ( grouped )  is  it fair all the buffs I gave out to others get removed just because idecided to change my skills ?

Bad game design if you ask me .

To be honest i think buffs should last longer then 20 mins or 30 mins . (eq) great . people use to want certain buffs from certain classes , then off to explore with their friends all fast n buffed . 

Is not buffing people/helping others just part of what we all want . " Community matters ". By making them go away once the casters changes skillsets , makes none of it matter ( why Bother with buffs SOW or anysuch things ) .

This post was edited by Shea at January 3, 2019 6:23 PM PST
    • 313 posts
    January 3, 2019 9:47 AM PST

Keno Monster said:How does giving twice the number of slots make that decision more important?

I'm just going to focus on this point, because I can answer it.  The rest of the stuff we may just have to agree to disagree on.  

What I am arguiing for is the removal of a way to bypass having to choose between abilities and compensating for the restriction by giving players more choices to make.  

For example, lets say players have 10 primar slots (down from 12) and 6 secondary slots.  Lets say I'm on a shaman, and I get to choose among the following skills for my 6 secondary slots: 

1- Rez

2- Attack speed buff

3- Str/Stam buff

4- Poison/Disease resistance buff

5- AC buff

6- Self wisdom buff

7- Mob agro/assist radius debuff

8-Fire/Nature resist buff

9- Poison/Disease resistance & health regen buff

10- Attack speed buff

11- Poison/Disease cleanse

12- Teleport to previous location

So TLDR: the answer is that you're taking what are essentially non-decisions (i.e. prioritizing a massive group heal over something like a wisdom buff) and turning them into actually relevant decisions by splitting skills into primary and secondary skills.  

Picking 6 of those skills listed will be a touch choice that affects my character significantly.   Letting me cast all those buffs and swap them out doesn't present me with any choices, only tedium.

This post was edited by zoltar at January 3, 2019 9:55 AM PST
    • 313 posts
    January 3, 2019 9:49 AM PST

vjek said:

zoltar said: ... My point is that constantly switching buffs in and out of your skillbar circumvents the point of having a limited number of skills. ...

No-one is circumventing anything.  The inability to change or re-memorize spells only applies when in combat.  Some players will have buffs on their in combat hotbar, some won't. 
    It's their choice, sure, but circumvention implies cleverly avoiding something, when that's not the case at all with the current in-combat restriction.

There are no such restrictions, out of combat, with the current public design goals.

If i'm benefitting from 18 of my skills when I'm supposed to be limited to 12 skills, how is that not circumventing the limitaiton?  

Also people saying they should persist because I want to buff people clearly didn't read the post.

• 1921 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:02 AM PST

When are you supposed to be limited to 12 skills ?

• 313 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:11 AM PST

vjek said:

When are you supposed to be limited to 12 skills ?

12 isn't set in stone, but VR has always said they are going with a limited skill selection/skill-bar.  Every stream has shown 12 skill bar slots.  

• 1921 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:22 AM PST

Sure, ok, so when is that limited skill selection/skill-bar set supposed to be in place, or if you prefer, enforced?

• 411 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:28 AM PST

I would definitely prefer harsh limitations on buffs. Buffs expiring if you take them off your hot-bar and limits on the number of people you can have buffed would be awesome. Being able to have 100 buffs just gets factored into the status quo and I dislike the tedium of buff maintenance. That said, it's not a big deal for me regardless.

• 2419 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:39 AM PST

zoltar said:

Keno Monster said:How does giving twice the number of slots make that decision more important?

I'm just going to focus on this point, because I can answer it.  The rest of the stuff we may just have to agree to disagree on.  

What I am arguiing for is the removal of a way to bypass having to choose between abilities and compensating for the restriction by giving players more choices to make.  

For example, lets say players have 10 primar slots (down from 12) and 6 secondary slots.  Lets say I'm on a shaman, and I get to choose among the following skills for my 6 secondary slots: 

1- Rez

2- Attack speed buff

3- Str/Stam buff

4- Poison/Disease resistance buff

5- AC buff

6- Self wisdom buff

7- Mob agro/assist radius debuff

8-Fire/Nature resist buff

9- Poison/Disease resistance & health regen buff

10- Attack speed buff

11- Poison/Disease cleanse

12- Teleport to previous location

So TLDR: the answer is that you're taking what are essentially non-decisions (i.e. prioritizing a massive group heal over something like a wisdom buff) and turning them into actually relevant decisions by splitting skills into primary and secondary skills.  

Picking 6 of those skills listed will be a touch choice that affects my character significantly.   Letting me cast all those buffs and swap them out doesn't present me with any choices, only tedium.

Looking at your selection, there are a bunch you do not need on your hotbar at all times.  Buffs for one thing.  Those are going to have significant durations which, if you've watched the streams have timer outlines, you can quickly memorize the spell needed (between fights of course) reapply then replace it with another spell.

Also, why would you keep up your teleport spell?  The last thing you want in a group is your priest panicing and teleporting away and letting the group die.  Had you stayed, you could win, and if you don't, at least you're all together for the corpse run.

• 230 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:47 AM PST

A buff on a timer shouldn't matter if it's on your combat bar or not. You cast it an it exists until it expires. As others have said, you can rest between combats, recharge mana etc...no reason you can buff and go.

• 313 posts
    January 3, 2019 10:49 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Looking at your selection, there are a bunch you do not need on your hotbar at all times.  Buffs for one thing.  Those are going to have significant durations which, if you've watched the streams have timer outlines, you can quickly memorize the spell needed (between fights of course) reapply then replace it with another spell.

Also, why would you keep up your teleport spell?  The last thing you want in a group is your priest panicing and teleporting away and letting the group die.  Had you stayed, you could win, and if you don't, at least you're all together for the corpse run.

Yea, but the point is that you have buffs be removed if you remove the spell, so you would need to keep them slotted to keep the effect.  

Shaman has a spell where they can mark a location, and teleport to it.  So you could theretically come up with some interesting uses for it in combat with the shaman teleporting in the same viscinity as their group.  

• 430 posts
    January 3, 2019 11:23 AM PST

X shaman casted  slow on mob , then  dies . ( theroretically ) its off the timer and skillset . should all mobs that were slowed lose the slow ? I personally feel if you cast a spell its good for whatever the length of timer it is . regardless if you change spells or die . you casted it , it landed . it took effect .

• 6 posts
    January 3, 2019 11:37 AM PST
    I would have to agree that requiring the buff to be swapped into the bar and then swapped out every 30 mins or hour does not add anything in terms of skill, its just a repetitive chore. People mentioned DAOc's concentration system which was interesting but led to buff bots as they would max concentration and stack buffs and the just /follow with no combat utility.
    I personally like the idea of buffs not only providing a static effect but also an active one which is something I didn't see mentioned. For instance I have a buff on my bar providing my group with a bonus (does not need to be cast is persistant while on my bar), I can also activate it (for mana, with a cooldown, etc) for a short term increase. This works with all kinds of buffs (damage, stats, regen, defense, etc) and allows the buff to be meaningful while taking a place on the action bar and if they split buffs up among different classes all could contribute a different buff with a useable effect.
    • 2419 posts
    January 3, 2019 11:53 AM PST

Shea said:

X shaman casted  slow on mob , then  dies . ( theroretically ) its off the timer and skillset . should all mobs that were slowed lose the slow ? I personally feel if you cast a spell its good for whatever the length of timer it is . regardless if you change spells or die . you casted it , it landed . it took effect .

I agree that having buffs/debuffs having their effects cancelled if you remove the spell or the caster dies is an incredibly poor decision. It only hurts the game, not helps it in any way.  But if VR were to implement such a ridiculous mechanic, then I want all damage done by any melee or caster to be recinded if they die during a fight.  Your wizard did 9k damage then died?  Sucks to be your group because the mob just instantly regained 9k in HP. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• 1714 posts
    January 3, 2019 12:06 PM PST

vjek said:

No-one is circumventing anything.  The inability to change or re-memorize spells only applies when in combat.  

We don't even know if that will be a restriction at all. 

• 696 posts
    January 3, 2019 12:19 PM PST

Buffs persisiting through swapping spells around is ideal. Usually when you cast a buff the character doesn't need to concentrate anymore, thus no reason to keep it up on the spell bar. However, this obviously applys to channel type of spells where you need them on your hotbar to cast. Also, if charm is a channel type spell then it would need to be on the hotbar at all times to, if they decide to go that route.

I like restricted spell slots mainly because it opens the possibilities of clickies being sought after and important in the game. If I can get a thorns clickie on my druid, then I don't need to memorize it and keep it on my hotbar. This opens a whole new meta up for different gear sets not just in resistance, but in extra spells you want for certain fights.

This post was edited by Watemper at January 3, 2019 12:21 PM PST
    • 1714 posts
    January 3, 2019 3:13 PM PST

Frankly, I've come around to having no restriction on spell/ability slots. It doesn't seem like a fun mechanic to have to deal with. I might be the most "hardcore oldschool" whatever person here, but I don't think groups should be punished in combat because one person mis clicked and memorized banish undead instead of banish elemental. 

• 1120 posts
    January 3, 2019 5:01 PM PST

The game already has limited slots.   No reason to make them more limited.

You're creating difficulty in a place where it already exists.

• 2419 posts
    January 3, 2019 6:13 PM PST

Keno Monster said:

vjek said:

No-one is circumventing anything.  The inability to change or re-memorize spells only applies when in combat.  

We don't even know if that will be a restriction at all. 

Watch the streams, you'll see several instances were someone tried to change spells in combat and were prevented from doing so.  Devs commented about it being designed that way.  You commit to a fight with whatever you have on your spellbar at the time.  Better hope it is the right set of spells.

• 999 posts
    January 3, 2019 6:52 PM PST

Yes they should persist - there's no logical reason why they shouldn't.  The channeling for the spell has occured, mana has been used, the spell has been cast and landed and you are able to now cast another spell.  If you dot or debuff a mob and then remove the spell, does the DoT/Debuff fade also?  It's less realistic that a buff/spell that is cast upon a person/mob fades because a spell is removed from a hotbar.  The only way it could make sense is the caster continues to channel the buff/spell for the continous 30 minutes and can't cast another spell while doing so - I don't think anyone would like that solution.

I also think you should be able to memorize spells in combat.  I disagree with that design decision by VR -like EQ it should come with a consequence of increased agro while sitting in combat, but you should have the freedom to attempt to rememorize the spells.

Many "oh crap" moments occured to me while playing EQ and other MMOs to a lesser extent by having the wrong spell memorized, but you shouldn't be punished extremely while in a group by not being able to change out a spell (such as an Evac for a druid/wizard).  I do think the spell slots should still be limited though as it punishes soloers more than anything else - in a group, you "should" be able to swap out your spells still. and it provides yet another incentive to group even though it is/was often overlooked.

Also, like Keno, I'd consider myself an extremely hardcore/ "oldschool" type gamer but asking for buffs to fade on a limited hotbar is increasing tedium for the sake of it.  You'd reduce the ability for a caster to have variety/options in combat and ultimately would sacrifice using many buffs in order to be able to keep a full hotbar of combat related buffs.  Or, you would see people complaining enough that VR would either A. revert to persistent buffs, or B. dumb down buffing to include a one-buff catch all solution.

TLDR:  I don't like the idea at all, it's not logical, and buffs should persist.