Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

LFG Tools

• 22 posts
    December 12, 2018 3:19 PM PST

Please forgive me if this has already been talked about.

I really hope that VR is planning on putting in a good set of tools to help players find groups. I hate to say it but WoW has some done some very awesome work on there LFG tools. The tools really help with out when you have low amounts of time to play. 

I know VR should not copy paste the same LFG tools as WoW because the game's are different in many ways, but they should attempt to do an augmented version to fit pantheon, such as if your in the same zone as the group and the tool plances you into it will get COTH right to the group.

A good set of LFG tools will help the game appeal to a lot of people that don't have huge amount time to play non stop for hours at a time.

• 8 posts
    December 12, 2018 3:36 PM PST

An LFG like an agenda, List of player who's going to be LFG at a certain time in the day, linked with an app?

• 1120 posts
    December 12, 2018 4:26 PM PST

Everquests LFG tool was honestly pretty good.  Most people just never used it.  I doubt you will see any sort of auto group, or teleporting in relation to Pantheons LFG tool.

• 438 posts
    December 12, 2018 4:35 PM PST
    @Porygon agreed on EQ, also on the Pantheon side. iirc they’ve stated they weren’t gonna have wow type lfg stuff
    • 1404 posts
    • 1247 posts
    December 12, 2018 5:39 PM PST

Porygon said:

Everquests LFG tool was honestly pretty good.  Most people just never used it.  I doubt you will see any sort of auto group, or teleporting in relation to Pantheons LFG tool.

Are you talking about Old Everquest when Brad was there or did you play it more recently? I don’t remember a lfg tool (I didn’t play post-Velious/Verant) other than just typing /lfg and seeing lfg next to someone‘s name in zone. I thought that worked fine, especially since guilds were actually useful and one would just group with guildies or others in zone chat.

This post was edited by Syrif at December 12, 2018 5:56 PM PST
    • 159 posts
    December 12, 2018 5:51 PM PST

I personally am all for tools that help you find other players who might be interested in grouping. I would be for a tool that is some sort of living database where you could send personal messages to people and figure out the logistics of meeting up.

Not that I'm more important than anyone else, but if there are any sort of tools that auto join you to groups to teleport you together or to dungeons, I will not continue to subscribe. It is one of the top 2 or 3 things that has ruined modern MMOs for me. It's not a threat, but it's the way it is for me.

Disscord said:

...such as if your in the same zone as the group and the tool plances you into it will get COTH right to the group. 

What is COTH? Is that some sort of teleport?... I'm all against teleports outside of major hub connections that are static.

This post was edited by Kass at December 12, 2018 5:58 PM PST
    • 264 posts
    December 12, 2018 5:59 PM PST

Most of us want to move away from the WoW style design with the automated LFG, LFR, etc. That type of design is not what MMORPGs are all about...players are supposed to interact with each other. It's one thing to have an LFG tool that gives a list of players looking for more for dungeon A. It's another thing entirely to have an automated group/raid finder tool that throws the group together then teleports everyone to the dungeon/raid. Perhaps the worst thing about WoW was that all of the battleground/dungeon/raid finders were cross server, sure it sounds good in theory with a larger pool of players to pull from but in practice there was zero community whatsoever as a result.

• 159 posts
    December 12, 2018 6:03 PM PST

Ziegfried said:

Most of us want to move away from the WoW style design with the automated LFG, LFR, etc. That type of design is not what MMORPGs are all about...players are supposed to interact with each other. It's one thing to have an LFG tool that gives a list of players looking for more for dungeon A. It's another thing entirely to have an automated group/raid finder tool that throws the group together then teleports everyone to the dungeon/raid. Perhaps the worst thing about WoW was that all of the battleground/dungeon/raid finders were cross server, sure it sounds good in theory with a larger pool of players to pull from but in practice there was zero community whatsoever as a result.

100% agree. As I said in my post above, one of the top few MMO killers for me. Another one is flying mounts... flying mounts ruin MMOs, outside of a special minigame/quest.

This post was edited by Kass at December 12, 2018 6:03 PM PST
    • 438 posts
    December 12, 2018 6:05 PM PST
    @Kass COTH was a spell, Call of the Hero. You could summon a party member straight to the group
    • 159 posts
    December 12, 2018 6:21 PM PST

Mordecai said: @Kass COTH was a spell, Call of the Hero. You could summon a party member straight to the group

Okay. Is this something any character could do at will? I could support an ability as long as there are limitations that make it difficult or make people think twice before willy nilly teleporting back and forth around the map.

This post was edited by Kass at December 12, 2018 6:28 PM PST
    • 1247 posts
    December 12, 2018 6:22 PM PST

Ziegfried said:

Yea totally agree. This WoW mechanism, from what I’ve heard, doesn‘t utilize player interaction and would weaken community imo. It may not work well in Pantheon - just my opinion. 

• 438 posts
    December 12, 2018 6:26 PM PST
    It was a mage only spell Krass. I could google it but I think it was a lvl 55 spell. I’m lazy sorry and I’ve been out of all mmorpgs since 2013.
    • 438 posts
    December 12, 2018 6:28 PM PST
    Guess I should state it was from EQ1. I didn’t delve into EQ2 perhaps it was there as well? Anyways it was definitely a useful tool the mage class offered
    • 1120 posts
    December 12, 2018 6:49 PM PST

Syrif said:

Porygon said:

Are you talking about Old Everquest when Brad was there or did you play it more recently? I don’t remember a lfg tool (I didn’t play post-Velious/Verant) other than just typing /lfg and seeing lfg next to someone‘s name in zone. I thought that worked fine, especially since guilds were actually useful and one would just group with guildies or others in zone chat.

It was introduced later on around the PoP era.  It was essentially a window that you could filter levels, classes etc and it would show you all of the people flagged LFG (kind of an advanced /who search).   If you were an LFG player. You could also put a small text note next to your name, allowing people to see where you want a group.  So they might see Porygon - CLR - Throne Room or Ramparts only ...  therefore it eliminates alot of the "hey wanna come heal courtyard?" Tells that I might not want.

It had no functionality other than just allowing you to filter the /who info, you still had to send tells and talk to people in order to invite them etc.

• 1247 posts
    December 12, 2018 6:56 PM PST

@Porygon oh ok thx for clarifying. I probably wouldn’t have used it. I’d rather just play with my guild and friends and the occasional player we come across. 

• 159 posts
    December 12, 2018 7:27 PM PST

Porygon said:

Syrif said:

Porygon said:

It was introduced later on around the PoP era.  It was essentially a window that you could filter levels, classes etc and it would show you all of the people flagged LFG (kind of an advanced /who search).   If you were an LFG player. You could also put a small text note next to your name, allowing people to see where you want a group.  So they might see Porygon - CLR - Throne Room or Ramparts only ...  therefore it eliminates alot of the "hey wanna come heal courtyard?" Tells that I might not want.

It had no functionality other than just allowing you to filter the /who info, you still had to send tells and talk to people in order to invite them etc.

This kind of tool sounds perfectly reasonable and effective.

• 627 posts
    December 12, 2018 10:46 PM PST
    I like a LFG tool aswell. But strictly to find players within a zone that has flagged themselves as lfg. I would like a comment or tekst boks in this tool, where the player or the grp can give info to eachother. like where they are going or what camp they are at.

No thanks to instant teleport thats just not what Pantheon will be all about, why even have the summoner with same skill if there's a system that does it for you freely? Very very bad idea coth to the grp... Anyway :)

• 839 posts
    December 13, 2018 12:41 AM PST
    I am keen for a lfg tool that is as simple as a list of who is looking for a group, their level and class and where they are located then leave it up to people chatting and organising a group.

It would be great to also have a feature for people who want to put them selves out there and be flagged as willing to be a group leader, so those who are not as confident filling out joining a small group know at least if they join this person they will lead the lfm process and actively try to fill the group. An active leader can fill a group pretty fast, a duo can grow quickly into a full group if your trying hard and these types of players often create networks of people in their friends list to quickly build a group even if not a lot of people are lfg. Having a leaders flagged might lead to less lfg people only waiting for an established group and taking an often rewarding plunge by joining more small groups and growing them and having fun with a take whatever you can get and make it work kind of pug :)
    • 106 posts
    December 13, 2018 1:35 AM PST

I feel the best LFG tool in an MMO I have seen is the one from DDO.  Doesn't port you anywhere(you still gotta go to the instance) but shows what individuals and groups are looking to run and allows you to form the group there or send a tell to the group leader for an invite.  Groups can also put messages about their needs to help get things moving.

• 228 posts
    December 13, 2018 4:06 AM PST

I guess we can all think of situations where it would be convenient to have all of these quality-of-life suggestions available, but the flipside of the coin is that too much convenience reduces the sense of being immersed in a world. I'm all for a tool to make it easy to announce to everybody within a reasonable distance what you're looking for and what you plan to do, supplemented with a point-and-click interface to initiate a conversation. Without this ppl will just spam global chat.

This post was edited by Jabir at December 13, 2018 4:06 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 13, 2018 8:05 AM PST

A group-centered game obviously needs guild and grouping tools.

The clear distinction that this thread shows (not for the first time, of course) is that a tool putting players in touch with other players to help form groups is highly desirable and supported by almost all of us. A tool automatically forming groups without the need for people to talk to each other is *not*. A tool that teleports the group to the quest locale is *very* much not desired.

• 96 posts
    December 13, 2018 10:23 AM PST

I never played PC Everquest, but for years I played EQOA, and then later moved on to WoW, and have since quit that. That being said, EQOA had a very basic LFG tool that allowed you to just list yourself as available for a group, and you would be registered to a global list across the server. This list could be filtered by level range, class type, etc. When someone needed a healer, they would go to this list and invite a Cleric, Druid, or Shaman to the group. It was then up to the group to tell the new player where they were XPing. Usually it was "Hail blah" whatever mob they were killing. Most people knew where "blah" lived, and thus would head that way. If not though, the group could explain how to get there (unless they were elitist jerks, then they would just kick you and invite someone else...ugh...). I thought this was a very useful and successful LFG tool, that wasn't too immersive breaking. Since someone brought up CoTH, if there was a mage in the group that was above lvl 51 (that was when they got it in EQOA), then they could offer to CoTH the new player to the group rather than having to run or port all the way there.

TL;DR EQOA had a basic, but successful LFG tool that was a list of players looking for group across the server and you could invite them to your group through that tool. No automatic porting or anything, just got them in the group and it was then up to the players to get them to where they were camping. 

This post was edited by Neyos at December 13, 2018 10:24 AM PST
    • 233 posts
    December 13, 2018 11:15 AM PST

I'd be fine with a LFG tool, many old school gamers prefer to chat and actully form groups, but im quite antisocial and forming groups can be really challenging, especially if you have no mates in game.
    Even if it just found you a group, but didnt port you to the dungeon, would be a good middle ground.

• 793 posts
    December 13, 2018 11:58 AM PST

Grimseethe said:

I'd be fine with a LFG tool, many old school gamers prefer to chat and actully form groups, but im quite antisocial and forming groups can be really challenging, especially if you have no mates in game.
    Even if it just found you a group, but didnt port you to the dungeon, would be a good middle ground.

As long as you are not so anti-social that you would not reply to a tell from someone asking if you would like to join their group, you would be fine.

But I doubt any tool would form a group for you from a random list of people. Typically the type of LFG tool we are all refering to is a list, and then a group leader would browse the list to fill out their group and send out tells to qualified players from the list until they fill out the group.