Forums » Developer's Journal

• 14 posts
    December 11, 2018 7:11 AM PST

Ok, ok I know more EQ stuff coming out of my mouth but will there be an item each class will have to work towards that will be the best weapon of that class?  I mean having the item is awesome but even more awesome is the journey you take to achieving such a thing. So, will, there be such a thing in Pantheon?  =)

• 1478 posts
    December 11, 2018 8:03 AM PST

From the FAQ:

17.4 Will there be ‘epic’ quests?

Absolutely. Some of the most memorable gaming experiences stem from the adventure involved in obtaining and earning ‘epic’ weapons and items. These quests should be class defining moments and fill you with a major sense of accomplishment when completed. Whether hunting for clues to start a quest or trying to figure out the right thing to say or do in order to get to the next step, epic quests will be a significant social component of the game.

There will also be quests for epic, class defining abilities.

• 14 posts
    December 12, 2018 10:32 AM PST

Well, that's awesome to hear!! I'm 100% onboard with everything you had to say! I'm ready to play now!! =)

• 40 posts
    December 18, 2018 1:55 AM PST

I still remember finishing the druid epic quest in EQ and getting my Nature Walkers Scimitar.

Was a long hard quest but gave a real sense of acheivement when i finally had it in my hand.

Geea,

• 449 posts
    December 18, 2018 12:57 PM PST

I solo'd most of my Wiz epic as my 70 SHD (I had a druid and cleric help me trio to clear plane of fear/cazic thule) but still had trouble with the SHD epic... I solo'd my Druid epic with my lvl 50ish druid and 50ish bard except for Venril Sathir (probably the easiest of the epic quests that I worked on).  So my alts had their Epics in their high 40's-low 50's.  I never finished my BRD epic because I couldn't get the dragon scales or eldrig the old to spawn back then (now I know how to clear for eldrig).  Definitely some memorable experiences although I would say that the difference in difficulties were drastic.

This post was edited by Darch at December 18, 2018 12:58 PM PST
    • 6 posts
    January 13, 2019 1:20 PM PST

The real question is, how does Pantheon plan to keep epic abilites and equipment relevant throughout expansions?  This was attempted in a few ways throught EQ1 with the 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 and so on.  What concerns me is going through the effort of gaining the epic and then it is outmatched eventually.  

How do the devs plan to keep this effort worth while in the long run, all the while keeping newer items pertinate as well?

• 107 posts
    January 16, 2019 2:54 AM PST

I must admit, as my main was a warrior i never did my epic as it pretty much sucked when i was able to get it. i did get and help the cleric epic, which was awesome.

I too hope they will be in game and will be relevant. I also hope a 1.5 and 2.0 will come in to play, basically upgrading the current epic after a long questline in which you might encounter other more usefull items untill completion. I believe the epic should be and stay iconic to the class and should be carried thru every expansion. Just with updated graphics and stats whenever neccesary.

We will see i geuss! Let's focus on getting a backpack first!

• 52 posts
    February 3, 2019 10:32 PM PST
    I don’t like epics. It was just another item that identified you as your class, as healer I did everything thing I could to hide what I was.

I would prefer quests for epic items that everyone could do. Admittedly a bow would be better for a ranger and shield for a tank but that way everyone that did the quest had something to show for it.

To add some more spice add a deity related quest to enhance the item. Characters could choose to be more offensive, defensive, utilitarian, or some other benefit to the class.
    • 21 posts
    February 6, 2019 10:21 AM PST

I look forward to the return of eqic quests in Pantheon.  Please, make the quests progress through skill based activities, groups, or raids.  Do not repeat the 36-92 hour camps in the hopes that a rare mob spawns with a rare drop needed for the eqic quest to continue.

• 6 posts
    February 9, 2019 4:06 PM PST

sevnptsixtwo said:

I look forward to the return of eqic quests in Pantheon.  Please, make the quests progress through skill based activities, groups, or raids.  Do not repeat the 36-92 hour camps in the hopes that a rare mob spawns with a rare drop needed for the eqic quest to continue.

I second this!  The epic quests are just that, epic.  It still blows my mind that the first people to complete these quests were able to figure out exacly what they were supposed to do.  The only downside to them were the rediculous camp times that just wasted hours of people's lives.

I love the whole idea of the epic and the journy it takes to complete. It would actually be really cool if it were to involve things as you level up.  Something like your class trainer giving you a quest at level 10, and then you do another quest at 15 or 20 that makes you think, hmm this kind of reminds me of that thing he had me to a while ago.  The whole time you're leveling up, you start to get this story line that you have no idea how big of a deal it will be to your class later on.   

• 11 posts
    February 18, 2019 10:15 AM PST

I also have extremely fond memories of the original epic quests from Kunark. It gave the sense that your class journey was complete. It was a functional trophy, better for some classes than others, sure, but design balance aside the magnatude of completeing the quest with the help of a community was a wonderful thing. Can't wait to see how the next iteration of this idea plays out in Pantheon!

• 10 posts
    February 27, 2019 12:30 PM PST

sevnptsixtwo said:

I'm in agreement also. You should have to travel to Epically remote places, fight Epically hard monsters, but not wait Epically many weeks for the possibility of a mob/item to drop. 

• 1330 posts
    March 1, 2019 1:26 PM PST

Rulyono said:

sevnptsixtwo said:

I'm in agreement also. You should have to travel to Epically remote places, fight Epically hard monsters, but not wait Epically many weeks for the possibility of a mob/item to drop. 

And yet do not limit the process to obtain the epic to just going to 'epically remote places, fighting epically hard monsters'.  I'd like to have to actually think about what it is I need to do, where I might need to go based upon clues, hidden meanings, half truths, etc.  Kill, hack, slash is just boring. Needing to think in addition to all this is better.

• 3 posts
    March 1, 2019 9:24 PM PST
    Like most, I’ve done my fair share of epic quests. But I also did them well after the weapons were obsolete, just to do it and enjoy some really cool areas of the game. My personal favorite was the Shawl Crawl.

I want the epic to be just that, epic. I want it to be as simple as running place to place in quests to explore, camping low lvl names to get a drop ( yelling finally!), camping a high lvl named in a dungeon with a group for a drop ( also yelling finally!), getting certain locations or NPCs on raid mobs, acquiring a certain lvl of trade skill, using a different trade skill person to help create and even having that one event that the community gets to be apart of to help finish off the epic quests. I think a little bit of everything should be in it to complete and epic quest.

I also agree that, and I’m sure they are thinking ahead, that the epic can grow and stay usable with the first few expansions. For now, I’ll take the game launching though!!!

Can’t wait to see what each class can do and help others achieve until it’s my turn!
    • 32 posts
    April 5, 2019 2:16 PM PDT

My main in EQ was a mage and i could never get my epic. Even after several expansion and the epics were outdated, trying to get a raid together to do plane of air was impossible and some of the camps for the mages parts were insane. i really hope obtaining the epics are more balanced and they fine a way around having to wait in a line for camping for mobs. 

• 274 posts
    April 6, 2019 10:35 AM PDT

A little off topic but I hope the lore is introduced BEFORE we can start trying to obtain them. I'd like the chance to read, enjoy, and get hyped about it.