Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Are Raids your thing?

• 9115 posts
    December 10, 2018 4:05 AM PST

How many of you Fantheons out there are into raiding? #MMORPG #communitymatters

Twitter Poll for fun: https://twitter.com/PantheonMMO/status/1072099536355516418

• 1303 posts
    December 10, 2018 4:25 AM PST

No.

• 67 posts
    December 10, 2018 4:34 AM PST

Yes :)

• 7 posts
    December 10, 2018 4:38 AM PST

*thumbs up*

Note to self. Emojis don't work here. :)

This post was edited by Ghastlee at December 10, 2018 10:46 PM PST
    • 190 posts
    December 10, 2018 4:38 AM PST

Yes, but not the only reason I play. They're just an added content bonus.

• 1247 posts
    December 10, 2018 5:00 AM PST

Hehe I’m totally a Fantheon. I’d say what I care about the most is community with raiding being right after that. I enjoy anything from small 2-group (12 person content) on up to 5-6ish groups (36 person raids). Some may require more than 40 people. Where players and guilds figure things out, and where there is more emphasis on community/guildplay/strategy/creativity than there is on ‘balance.’ Where thinking matters again. I also think it would be great to have intense crafting that requires quite a bit of work - a crafting system that matters just as much as raiding. Perhaps some things may require both crafting and raiding. :)

This post was edited by Syrif at December 10, 2018 5:52 AM PST
    • 228 posts
    December 10, 2018 5:10 AM PST

No, it doesn't interest me much, so if I've exhausted my non-raid possibilities at max level, I'm more likely to roll an alt and start over, also to experience another class and another race/starting city.

But of course I will come raiding if my guild needs me for something.

• 3852 posts
    December 10, 2018 5:25 AM PST

No.

• 438 posts
    December 10, 2018 5:39 AM PST
    Yes. Raiding is a lot of fun and adds a lot of challenge especially when you’re working with 30+ people to be successful
    • 61 posts
    December 10, 2018 5:47 AM PST

One of the areas I am most excited about for PROTF, as it has been awhile since I have done any true raiding.

• 3237 posts
    December 10, 2018 6:44 AM PST

I look forward to seeing how VR evolves raiding for MMO's.  It's a critical ingredient in the overall recipe.  There are countless players and guilds out there who want to enjoy high level teamwork that extends beyond your traditional 6 player group.  Raiding is the lifeblood for many guilds because it allows everybody to come together in an effort to overcome challenging PVE obstacles.  There are other activities that can pull people together, too, but raiding is a pillar, and nothing can replace it.

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 10, 2018 6:46 AM PST
    • 178 posts
    December 10, 2018 6:47 AM PST

Ghastlee said:

this!

p.s. Raiding is nice for top levels, it even used to be my thing.  but it should not be the main focus of the game.

p.s.2: i would prefer 12 people raids rather than 24 just from the perspective of logistical overhead.
    to gather 12 people and waiting for the main tank is quicker than to gather 24 people and waiting for two tanks three healers and five CC who forgot to put their alarm clock or fighting with their significant other.

This post was edited by MyNegation at December 10, 2018 6:49 AM PST
    • 22 posts
    December 10, 2018 7:00 AM PST

I don't post often though I keep a close watch on the state of the game. The phrase raiding brings specific ideas to most peoples minds but doesn't have to actually entail the exact concepts that those people are familiar with. I'm one of those old FFXI players and I personally would love to see content early on that requires larger group play. I'm sure this topic has been discussed over and over, I just hope that the devs have considered FFXI content style like CoP missions and Salvage going forward.

• 11 posts
    December 10, 2018 7:05 AM PST

ofc!

• 79 posts
    December 10, 2018 7:10 AM PST

Yes, I love raiding but don't want to be in a raiding guild.  More of a casual approach to it.  I did the whole hardcore raiding thing before and it burnt me out.

• 801 posts
    December 10, 2018 7:35 AM PST

Ill say for the majority that do come from EQ Hell yes. Some of us are getting older though, so 24/7 is impossible.

TLP servers did bring ppl back to raid fyi

This post was edited by Crazzie at December 10, 2018 7:36 AM PST
    • 2138 posts
    December 10, 2018 7:42 AM PST

I like raiding. To me its a testament to leadership, if the leadership is good and instructions are good then everyone has a good time. Its a kind of entertainment even if you fail. Of course there is some ego, like going to see a concert where the headliner is the raid leader- kind of but with more interaction from the raid members.

-maybe this is the next wave, imagine a twitcher being a raid leader - becoming a new form of entertainer-with assistants or core few on "stage" with them perhaps even to the point of queing in music snippets for emphasis. Getting more intense, think of the thrilling - and emotionia (yes, yelling, or enthusiastic speaking , I get it, I am not offended, its the zeitgeist) - command and response of military precision like the outburst in Red October of the sonar guy "Go Dallas!"

Then layering down to group interaction, where we can make comments or jokes and seek consolation for our own minor mishaps without embarrasing ourselves, like "go where"?  or seek quick help.

Plus the loots!

However, as far as intense heroics- I prefer groups. Nothing like a tight group or 2 or 3 groups doing content way above their skill level and surviving- and the loots!

in both scenarios, even if I dont get anything I just like to see; see the monsters up close, see the event, the theatrics, the drama in the framework of the game. Not player drama- unless its intended RP stuff but usually that happens outside of raids and boundaries are clear where it takes place or when thrown in for flavor. 

• 287 posts
    December 10, 2018 7:47 AM PST

Huge "YES!" to raiding.  Without the big baddies to fight there is little for an adventurer to look forward to other than retirement.  What will the max level players do at max level?  And let's face it, within n months after release the majority of active players will be max level.  A couple years out and the vast majority of characters played actively will be max level.  Without raids to provide goals there isn't much left to do aside from drinking onesself into oblivion nightly at the local inn.

• 1921 posts
    December 10, 2018 8:30 AM PST

raided in eq1, up to elemental PoP.  Did vex thal, ssra, all that Luclin stuff, nagafen, vox, ToV.  EQ2 as well, although we were very casual then, and did one tier back to keep it that way.  I suppose if you consider Warhammer online city sieges (and the rest) raiding, did that.  Raided a ton in RIFT, actually enjoyed the mechanics more there than EQ1 because of the flexibility of classes and you could put competent people in different roles without having to bench them.

Overall, I never really liked it.  I've grown to loathe and despise the "bring xx friends, get three things everyone already has" mechanic of chasing 5% more efficiency, from EQ1 especially.  So many better options, now, that foster co-op instead of stab your friends.
    Only really participated because of the social aspect of doing something fun wth more friends, yet, I enjoyed single grouping far more, because I got to know those people better, and there was zero drama, unlike raiding.
    Myself, I would prefer raiding was exclusively tied to larger world affecting plot mechanics, so guilds affect the plot of the story and "compete" to drive the storyline the way they want.  That would let good/neutral/evil/NPC guilds actually play their role.
    But everyone loves chasing their loot pixels, so it seems unlikely we'll see such a thing in Pantheon.
    Ultimately stopped raiding EQ1 TLP because of the policy of the guilds there regarding awarding DKP to Bots/boxes.  I have a line, and that's it, evidently.

I prefer challenging single-group content rather than multi-group content, mostly because 99% of the characters life and play time, you learn to play a certain way, then " Surprise! " now you get to play an entirely different way! Yay! (no, not really)

• 696 posts
    December 10, 2018 8:36 AM PST

I am very much into raiding. Not hardcore, but I do make it a point to try and down all the raid bosses in era atleast once. Raids are very important for the vision of Pantheon. Raids make you humbled when you see something that can wipe you and a lot of other people out. Takes the hero image right out of you imo.

• 646 posts
    December 10, 2018 8:57 AM PST

I am super into raiding. I love the group challenge and the way devs can get wildly creative with boss mechanics. It's definitely one of my favorite things to do in an MMO!

(An addendum: I'm not a fan of raids that involve MASSIVE amounts of people. 25 is generally my upper limit.)

• 2419 posts
    December 10, 2018 9:05 AM PST

Kilsin said:

How many of you Fantheons out there are into raiding? #MMORPG #communitymatters

Twitter Poll for fun: https://twitter.com/PantheonMMO/status/1072099536355516418

Yes, absolutely.  Raiding is my favorite activity as I enjoy being part of something far larger than myself.  EQ1 raids of 72 players, DAoC relic raids, Shadowbane city raids, EVE Online hellcamps and territory invasions..all were far more memorable than anything group level. Bring on the raids I say.

EDIT:  And now that I'm older (much, much older) than my EQ1 days, I have even more time to devote to long raids.  Bring on the PoFear corpse runs!  :)

This post was edited by Vandraad at December 10, 2018 9:11 AM PST
    • 1860 posts
    December 10, 2018 9:07 AM PST

yes

• 363 posts
    December 10, 2018 9:09 AM PST

Yaaaaarp!

• 198 posts
    December 10, 2018 9:21 AM PST
    Yes I hope to raid in Pantheon!