Forums » The Dwarves

Weapon Size:Body Ratio and Holding Greatswords

• 276 posts
    December 3, 2018 10:48 AM PST

Sharing some thoughts on dwarf design. Nothing too in-depth here but I'm really hoping for what I consider "proper" weapon/body ratio for dwarves in Pantheon. Often times in games I see the weapons for dwarves being scaled down, as in my mind I've always seen dwarves using human-sized weapons despite being smaller. My hope in Pantheon is that if a dwarf and human are both wielding the same weapon, that the dwarf's weapon would be the same size as the human's.

And on that note, I've always been a fan of the "over-the-shoulder" resting position for greatswords and thought that this would especially make sense for dwarves if they're wielding human-sized greatswords. It'd be neat if even some of the armor designs included a small pad on one of the shoulder pieces where the greatsword would rest. Of course, I'd be happy to see this over-the-shoulder design for all races who are holding a greatsword, but feel it makes particular sense for dwarves.

https://i.imgur.com/qkOT1r6.jpg

Thoughts?

This post was edited by Sicario at December 3, 2018 12:10 PM PST
    • 40 posts
    January 28, 2019 8:15 AM PST
    Personally im in the opposite corner, i hope we see race appropriate weapon sizes. There are several reasons for me but it mostly comes down to what i like i guess, i always disliked the cartoon look when a character has weapons and armors 3 times their own size.

Another maybe interesting way though would be to not scale items based on race size but in stead actually have items made for races. If you use a weapon made for s different race you could get a penalty for using it. The only way around that would to have a trade skiller re-make the item for you and your race. That sould create a demand for trade skillers. Obviusly you could add needed ingrediences as well to make it more complex and maybe push people to revisit places they would otherwise not use anymore

EDIT: somehow my text was added twice 

This post was edited by Warioc at January 31, 2019 3:00 PM PST
    • 107 posts
    January 31, 2019 12:44 AM PST

Oef, this is a hard one, i have rewritten this reply a couple of times. 

I'm in favor of appropriate sizes, as in when a dwarf wears the same as the human, it shouldn't be the same size BUT it should be slightly disproportinate in case of smaller races. But this only holds true for swords and long sword and maybe even staffs. For daggers this should not hold true and be proportional.

• 16 posts
    February 2, 2019 12:25 PM PST

I think some of the original EQ ideas would make some sense here.  There was gear that was excluded to some races due to size restrictions.  I can imagine some weapons seeming too small for the ogre or too large for the dwarf especially if your looking to weild a giant two handed club as an ogre and you give it to a dwarf.  Imagine having to design something that still looks imense in size for an ogre and having it make sense in the hands of a dwarf.  Heres where you could limit certain giant sized weapons to larger races while offering some other weapons specific to smaller races.  Having a large two handed sword or hammer for a dwarf would still make sense as long as it isnt gigantic.  Overall i think it makes everything easier if it scales slightly to the race size and just add in a few race specific items to provide that giant ogre club flavor without making it too difficult on the designers for the rest of the gear.