Forums » Pantheon Classes

The Hybrid Slippery Slope

• 877 posts
    May 19, 2020 11:40 AM PDT

The devs and a lot of us have said that there will be no "hybrids" which is true (by definition of hybrid being a combination of 2 classes).  Some people are referring to the EQ SHD, RNG and PAL when they say "hybrid, but I don't think the O.P. meant that as much as they meant fulfilling a role other than what their primary mechanic was designed for - which is another definition of "hybrid" for some MMO players.  In which case, there will be classes that can fulfill multiple roles.  So depending on your definition of "hybrid", something like a Druid who can do damage as well as heal could be considered "hybrid".  I say this in direct response to the O.P., which I know was almost 2 years ago, but this is the kind of "hybrid" the O.P. was referencing in regard to WoW; using the example of the shadow priest filling a DPS role.  I would bet money that if there is a cleric shaman and druid (of similar gear/level/skill) in a party, the druid and shaman will be doing DPS... likewise with DL, War and Pal.  The pure DPS roles (with the exception of the Monk (so far)) would be the classes that aren't "hybrid" by the O.P.s definition.  

Also in reference to the O.P., You are correct that this is exactly why the Warrior will be the "tank of tanks" and the cleric will be the "healer of healers"... because the other tanks and healers can be considered hybrid (by being able to fulfill multiple roles).  I think the other people saying that you are incorrect will be in for a big suprise and like you said, "people will start hearing the whining of the hybrids".

• 2634 posts
    May 19, 2020 12:34 PM PDT

Even though they have said they do not want a "best in role" type of game and that classes will only excel in their primary role? Okay. I think the big surprise will be yours, though it really shouldn't be a surprise. 

• 1789 posts
    May 19, 2020 1:01 PM PDT

Darch's "usual" argument here. Nothing to see and nothing to be kept.

• 877 posts
    May 19, 2020 8:21 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Even though they have said they do not want a "best in role" type of game and that classes will only excel in their primary role? Okay. I think the big surprise will be yours, though it really shouldn't be a surprise. 

Joppa actually said the opposite of this... on multiple occassions.  The cleric will be "best" single target healer (i.e. tank healer).  I don't know why people keep thinking otherwise.  Yes, the devs have said that each class will be able to perform their roles "effectively", but some classes will absolutely be better than others.  Here's just one of those times:
    https://youtu.be/4vebn1AN6KY?t=672

• 2634 posts
    May 20, 2020 11:52 AM PDT

Having the strongest single target direct healing does not in any way make them the "healer of healers" or best in role class. 

• 1789 posts
    May 20, 2020 12:12 PM PDT

Unfortunately that's what happens when you put your wishes as truth in arguments. They said classes will be balanced and will perform equally, with different edges over situations. By no means it place any class above others until there is a certitude Tank taken damage will be either mostly physical (or only for hard bosses), or raid damage will be the main issue, or countering period damage, etc..

Some still try hard to push their dusty ideas of how the game should be as how it will be, but no argument comes to support that.

• 2634 posts
    May 20, 2020 12:29 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Unfortunately that's what happens when you put your wishes as truth in arguments. They said classes will be balanced and will perform equally, with different edges over situations. By no means it place any class above others until there is a certitude Tank taken damage will be either mostly physical (or only for hard bosses), or raid damage will be the main issue, or countering period damage, etc..

Some still try hard to push their dusty ideas of how the game should be as how it will be, but no argument comes to support that.

God help us if the game is a simple tank and spank where most mobs lock to the tank easily and AoEs or other party damage/effects/ailments are very rare. 

Good thing even in Halnir in those earlier PAs we could see a fair number of mobs with AoEs or damage shields on top of the surprise environmental mobs popping out to do big damage to various group members. 

This post was edited by Iksar at May 20, 2020 12:31 PM PDT
    • 1789 posts
    May 20, 2020 12:41 PM PDT

hots will be very valuable, especially if you have to deal with ticks + aoe bursts :

Mantle of the mists plus hand of aivelu will be way more efficient than just doing direct healings. So many things to look forward and so sad to see it pidgeonholed in 20 years old strategies.