Forums » The Cleric

Light of Murik

• 6 posts
    November 15, 2018 10:31 AM PST
    From the first time I read about the ability to generate a light source in supernatural darkness, I imagined an entire zone covered in it. A zone full of demons, undead and other supernatural threats where only the cleric can shine a light for the rest of the group to see. Without the cleric, the group will be bumbling around sure to meet certain death. I dont think ive ever experienced something like that and it would be amazing imo. Please make this happen!
    • 14 posts
    November 15, 2018 2:31 PM PST

This is an AMAZING idea!!!! When I played EQ I half expected there to be a Plane of Darkness or Shadows where you go in and can't see anything. And only a Paladin or Cleric can shine light and guide a party through. It'll be like the "upside down" place in Stranger Things which was taken from the Shadow Plane in D&D.

This could even be a great addition for a Halloween patch and the portal to the place only opens up when there's a certain alighnment of stars (which will be every October in real-life).

You can even make "darkness" be an environmental condition just like Heat and Cold where you will start to lose your SANITY the longer you are in the darkness without a light!!!! The ideas are endless!!

Lets see what the designers think about this.

• 6 posts
    November 15, 2018 3:56 PM PST
    I like the losing your sanity idea! Maybe so the cleric could heal in between moving areas you could light braziers around the zone that would shine for a set amount of time. This would be where you could pull to... maybe even certain sections where you need to run from one light to another like Gandalf leading his crew through the mines of moria and hordes are chasing you but, the light keeps them at bay. Lots of options, just hoping anything close to this makes it in game.
    • 14 posts
    November 15, 2018 3:58 PM PST

I'm a fan of having HORDES of monsters just outside the barrier of the light. And you can constantly hear them all around you. Sometimes they keep "testing" the barrier and you hear them screech in pain and you smell burning. This is where you have to make sure that the LIGHT DOESN'T GO OUT or you are screwed.

This post was edited by Lorvul at November 15, 2018 3:59 PM PST
    • 6 posts
    November 15, 2018 4:08 PM PST
    Love it, so many ways to go with it. They could really make it a creepy, intimidating experience if done right.
    • 14 posts
    November 15, 2018 4:12 PM PST

Right? I remember when I played DOOM (2003) for the first time on my friend's gaming computer. It was dark in his room. And in that game your flashlight kept going off and on. My heart was POUNDING. He came into the room real quick to get something and just him opening the door suddenly made me jump and I knocked over his monitor and fell over on the chair......

That's the feeling and experience I think about when I think about this idea. But you are right, there are so many ways you can run with this and it will be gold.

• 229 posts
    April 13, 2020 12:32 AM PDT
    That's a fantastic idea. The zone could be underground (like a catacomb) to add to the feelings of claustrophobia and fear. All the hidden mobs should attack the Cleric first.
    • 113 posts
    April 13, 2020 7:41 AM PDT

Talk about immersion 

• 229 posts
    July 28, 2020 3:06 PM PDT
    Imagine if the undead were only visible to the cleric with the Light of Murik and the cleric had to cast a targeted version to cause specific supernatural mobs to be visible for the rest of the party.
    • 647 posts
    July 29, 2020 4:59 PM PDT

Trying to give me nightmares before the game even releases, eh? Dont let the light go out, or we ALL DIE!!

Yeah, I see how you guys are...

Great ideas, I hope we get some of them in the game.