Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Perceptively flavoring long respawns

• 12 posts
    November 14, 2018 12:04 PM PST
    After reading the most recent newsletter I wonder if perhaps there could be some accommodation to having length mob spawn timers. Having an NPC spawn not necessarily based on the flags listed of race, class, faction, level. But tied to a respawn timer as you would see in EQ with really rare mobs. This might flip the dynamic of camping a mob and having potentially only 1 person or 1 group able to receive the reward at a time.

An example would be perhaps having a black and white bear who is on this lengthy/random respawn timer and when it's up the creature will roam the desert. This probably draws you into investigate the thing(Is this a Panda in the desert?). Upon getting closer you see a Panda unless your perception is the appropriate requirement. Investigating it you would notice it is a man bloated, hunched over walking on all fours coated in patchy black and white fur, and he isn't thrilled with his situation. After talking with him you find out he was cursed by two giants trying to practice some sort of witchery and they're not very good at it from what you can tell. The Panda Man wants you to exact revenge for him by killing these giants.

Now a lot of this is fluff to say you can put that lengthy respawn timer on something that more than 1 group or 1 person can interact with before it's gone. It might also add some variation to the zone maybe breaking up that grind you've been doing on one camp for however long you've been there by this random Panda walking by. Kind of like an event occurring.

So to play off this idea more you could have it end quickly,. The Giants are in a camp to the west. You've seen them before you know who he is talking about you kill them and bring their heads to the Panda Man, he is thankful gives you that super rare item that would typically have just dropped from the giant itself every 2 days.

OR you could indulge me play off the system even more and have the next part interact more with the perception system. You're talking to this Panda Man he is telling you this story of how these Giants have cursed him, but you've been in this zone for a while now you've seen as many Giants in this zone as actual Pandas you tell him. He suggests they must have some trickery to hide. 

So now this lends itself both to what you know of the zone and your insight skill. You may reflect on your time spent in the zone and go, man, this place is pretty open save the sparse foliage, hills, and caravan. But I did get that prompt when I was near that random Corn Stalk to the northwest by the mountain wall. Perhaps earlier in your exploration of the zone you did run by a Corn Stalk thinking nothing more of it other than the prompt you got saying "Is someone really growing a single Corn Stalk in the desert?" so you go there your Insight is the appropriate level for whatever it's set at and you discover it's the illusionary wall to a cave next to the Corn Stalk. Obviously, the Giants were using the Corn Stalk as a marker so they could remember. Maybe you can investigate the Corn Stalk and peel back the Husk and find it's actually a banana inside the husk...

So you go in to find the Giants there is just the weirdest stuff going on inside this cave. You see a dead Halfling with pies coming from the wound on its belly, you have a snake staring at a book called "How to Kick", and you find your Giants pouring over a book title "Perfektly Deceptive". After a battle with them casting just the weirdest things you leave victorious with the book and their heads wondering if at some point you lost yours upon revisiting the spectacles inside the cave. 

Now you go collect your reward from the weird Panda Man hopefully he is still up.

• 1479 posts
    November 17, 2018 3:18 AM PST

I would just say: where in the newsletter did you see something about respawns tied to one character?

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at November 17, 2018 2:25 PM PST
    • 12 posts
    November 17, 2018 12:34 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:I would just say: where in the newsletter did you see something about respawns tied to one character?

Ahh yeah, that's my bad I should have qualified what I was saying better. 

This was an idea to tie the long respawn timers and rewards that we saw in EverQuest into Pantheon with the perception system. In a sense to try and appeal to the concerns, I've read in the past with long respawn timers and find a middle ground of sorts. Not as a catch-all solution but more as a variance and flavor to the world as you explore. Which may have gotten confusing with me getting carried away with my excitement for the game. It wasn't saying I read anything in particular in the newsletter that I was trying to solve just adding on to what I read and where my mind went.

Maybe a more clear example would be you have a place like Dreadlands with a mob like Gorenaire. Who had something like a 3 day respawn timer with a 12-hour variance. Instead, you would have that same 3 day respawn timer with the 12-hour variance but on a friendly NPC and have the mob Gorenaire on a more normal respawn timer. Instead of Gorenaire having his loot table you would just get his claw or something from the kill and take it back to this friendly NPC who would in this example have Gorenaires loot table to reward you with.

I'm pretty sure this kind of stuff existed in EQ, one that I can vaguely remember was something to do with a book as a reward that took part in Highpass Hold.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at November 17, 2018 2:26 PM PST