Forums » Fan Creations

Is Pantheon REALLY the Spiritual Successor to EverQuest?

• 2886 posts
    November 12, 2018 7:01 PM PST

We've all probably heard Pantheon be compared to classic EverQuest at some point. But upon closer inspection, there are actually a lot of important differences. So let's discuss. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF4S0f_WZos

• 52 posts
    November 13, 2018 3:25 PM PST

I think we are all hoping it will allow us to experience the feelings we had whiling playing EQ.  I am hoping that this game will hold my interest for a very long time.  

• 595 posts
    November 14, 2018 1:29 PM PST

As I said in the YouTube comments - well said, well written and well articulated.  If you can continue to produce this level of content, you will have a very successful career Baz.

I have often expounded the idea that Pantheon has to be taken at face value and judged on its own merits, faults and success.  So while it's perfectly reasonable to draw parallels for the sake of comparison, at some point Pantheon has to stand on its own two feet and be judged as such.  While these sorts of comparisons (most usually to EverQuest) are commonplace on these forums, I think a particularly polarizing example of this was during the class reveals.  The Dire Lord comes to mind most specifically.  The fact that the class turned out not to be a copy/paste of the EverQuest Shadow Knight was a big issue for some, often preventing them from seeing what the Pantheon iteration was even attempting to be (quite different as it turns out).  And this can likely be seen with each of the classes if we dig deep enough.

Anyway, I thought you nailed this particular point on the mark in your conclusion.  Again, well done!

• 1479 posts
    November 14, 2018 2:38 PM PST

Excellent video in line with my feelings about the game, thanks for sharing it baz.

I hope to be surprised, a lot, by the game. But in a good vibe.

• 1247 posts
    November 16, 2018 6:29 AM PST
    Thanks Baz. Yes - Pantheon really does feel to be the spiritual successor to Classic EQ. Same with Camelot Unchained to Dark Age of Camelot. I enjoyed your video.
    • 65 posts
    November 16, 2018 4:07 PM PST

Making Pantheon or any of the classes a cut and paste job from EQ would be a huge disappointment. When EQ launched, it was a fresh, new experience, that defined its genre. I was a shadow knight for several years in EQ, and am very happy with the new SK concept. I hope the other classes follow this example. 

• 1 posts
    November 26, 2018 6:48 AM PST

Having played EQ1 from its release and then EQ2 and Vanguard, I am so very excited to participate in the Beta version of Pantheon. I see it clearly as a spiritual successor. I wouldn't want to play an updated version of the old EQ. That would be a huge disappointment. My husband and I look forward to exploring a new world, making friends and being challenged. We are not young and have many challenges to physically be able to travel and explore the physical world any longer. Our minds are young and vital and we want to be challenged and emmersed in the world of Pantheon. The video was awesome and we are looking forward to more previews of the various aspects of Terminus as we await the Beta release.  Thank you!

• 945 posts
    November 27, 2018 11:29 AM PST

Good video Baz.  We could probably say that PRotF (and many games like this to include EQ and Vangard) are the spiritual successors to Dungeons and Dragons; I mean this in regard to mideval(ish) combatants joining forces with magic users to obtain gear and experience while monster fighting and dungeon delving.  Like other games, it is unique enough to not infringe upon IP laws/rules of D&D.

• 294 posts
    November 30, 2018 2:46 PM PST

Pretty good Baz.

I should come down and take you out for a beer sometime.

• 2886 posts
    December 4, 2018 2:43 PM PST

Thanks everyone! Great feedback :)