Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Text Chat vs Voice Chat

• 1479 posts
    November 6, 2018 11:53 AM PST

Will I'm EU and I don't, that makes it a "Not everyone, no." even with no data sample at all ;).

• 363 posts
    November 6, 2018 12:04 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

Will I'm EU and I don't, that makes it a "Not everyone, no." even with no data sample at all ;).

Well I never implied "everyone "prefers anything, but I have played EU based MMO's with many EU players and the majority of the guilds I was in all use TS or Discord. Is that every player in the EU, certainly not, but people from all over the world. Greece, Turkey, Spain, Germany, Russia, Romania, Belgium not just Canadians and American use game assisting technology. :D 

This post was edited by Willeg at November 6, 2018 12:11 PM PST
    • 1479 posts
    November 6, 2018 12:34 PM PST

Bronsun said:

MauvaisOeil said:

Well I never implied "everyone "prefers anything, but I have played EU based MMO's with many EU players and the majority of the guilds I was in all use TS or Discord. Is that every player in the EU, certainly not, but people from all over the world. Greece, Turkey, Spain, Germany, Russia, Romania, Belgium not just Canadians and American use game assisting technology. :D 

I probably failed my point by not mentionning I was talking in a more generic "pug" situation.

While every mono-language guild or group would use VC at ease, it's uncommon in a mixed country setup where you just play with random people or friends, and they can all come from a different country.

Sorry, it was not mentionned in my first topic and only I thought it was implied. Now corrected.

• 96 posts
    November 6, 2018 12:43 PM PST

Voice chat for friends/raids, text for PUGs, etc.

I like to talk to friends in voice, who may or may not be playing the same game as I am.  So, any voice I do will likely be third party.  Besides, 3rd party is usually more flexible, functional, and reliable than any ingame voice anyways...

• 363 posts
    November 6, 2018 12:45 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

I probably failed my point by not mentionning I was talking in a more generic "pug" situation.

While every mono-language guild or group would use VC at ease, it's uncommon in a mixed country setup where you just play with random people or friends, and they can all come from a different country. 

Sorry, it was not mentionned in my first topic and only I thought it was implied. Now corrected.

Fair enough. I think in a PUG situation you're right. There isn't much reason to dive into VC unless asked or with friends. I was thinking in a general guild situation its common place to use voice chat. 

• 1281 posts
    November 6, 2018 3:34 PM PST

Text chat, especially with people I don't know.

If people want to voice chat then let them use Discord or something outside of the game. I have no problem with others using it in their guilds or friend circles.

If you implement in game voice chat, like it has been discussed before, I can absolutely see a scenario where other people will require you to use it to group with them. If that becomes prevalent and essential to play the game, or you will be left out, then it’s not the game for me.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at November 6, 2018 3:35 PM PST
    • 839 posts
    November 6, 2018 4:11 PM PST
    *chews loudly as types*
    Text chat for sure! Plenty of /emote to go with it too lol
    • 888 posts
    November 6, 2018 5:09 PM PST
    Text is more social and more fun / relaxed. Voice is much better for strategising and coordinating combat, though can be a problem for some people.

Whether we need it or not will really depend on how often we will need to coordinate combat. My suggestion is to launch without it since it requires development resources and there are already 3rd party programs in wide use. Then, if there is a consensus that we need it, please add it.

Alternately, launch with it but designate a "mute" server so those who don't like it won't feel pressured to use it.
    • 78 posts
    November 6, 2018 5:25 PM PST
    Oh definitely text chat for this kind of game... Yes you may be able to get some instructions to the group quicker on voice chat, but it absolutely kills immersion. The sound of battle is typically all but lost, environmental sounds, etc. when using voice chat.
    • 217 posts
    November 7, 2018 5:00 AM PST

I think VC kills emmersion and like many others have said already, too many distractions and unwanted noises. Please do not include a voice chat feature, spend time and resources on gameplay, let folks use 3rd party vc if they want so those of us who dont want to have it around dont have to be forced into listening to others use it.

• 107 posts
    November 8, 2018 5:58 AM PST

Text chat: for the majority of reasons as previously stated by others. IF I use VC, it is reserved for a close friends circle and even then it is used sparingly. Yes, I can see VC's worth when orchestrating large scale raids but based on my own personal experience it is not necessary. That, and I seem to have picked up quite an accent since living the southern states... *grins*

This post was edited by Aanwenae at November 8, 2018 5:59 AM PST
    • 8 posts
    November 8, 2018 8:21 AM PST
    I am probably and oddball. I will text but prefer voice as I do not like using a keyboard. ( mouse/orbweaver)
    • 388 posts
    November 9, 2018 10:15 PM PST

text, don't like being totally cut off from family. voice is ok for raids. 

• 20 posts
    November 11, 2018 12:02 PM PST

Please no voice chat in game. People can use discord, teamspeak, or one of the other hundreds of voice chat options if they want to voice chat with their group/raid.

• 120 posts
    November 11, 2018 12:12 PM PST

I use both, but definitely only want to voice chat with the people I choose to voice chat with. No Fallout 76 stuff here please. Whoops. Shots fired. But really, I'll use Discord to connect with my friends outside of the game, and while we're playing, but I don't want to have to necessarily voice with random pick up groups, or proximate players. I don't want that to be the norm and I don't want that to be the expectation.

• 38 posts
    November 11, 2018 12:28 PM PST

Discord for friend voice chat. Text for everything else. No need to rehash the reasons for this; they're already outlined multiple times above. 

• 71 posts
    November 11, 2018 3:35 PM PST

It is situational for me, I use and like both.

---My opinions are not humble, they are just my opinions---

• 211 posts
    November 11, 2018 6:33 PM PST

I'm a bit surprised to see the majority of people preferring text chat, I didn't realized so many shared the same opinion as myself. I'll use voice for a raid, but that's it. And in this particular game, people speaking/listening to others in voice will miss out on audio clues in the perception system.

• 77 posts
    November 11, 2018 10:05 PM PST
    It just depends. Voice when I’m leading a raid and text when I’m following. Voice when I’m hanging with friends. Text when I want I need permanence and voice when I need convenience.

This is really not an either/or situation for me. I need both.
    • 768 posts
    November 13, 2018 1:47 AM PST

Player text tells

Player voice chat

Group voice chat

Guild voice chat if it's a small guild

Guild text chat when it's a large guild

Raid voice chat if it's a structured raidforce (few of those around)

Raid text chat if it's your usual raidforce ramblers ;)

Channel or nearby text chat

• 219 posts
    November 13, 2018 5:18 PM PST

Text chat.

I learned to type fast a long time ago (and it surprises people when I type in chats in games like FFXIV, EVE, or even Facebook replies).  It also helps with immersion.  Voice chat can break perception of characters, as not everyone has the voice to match.  Voice chat also tends to lead to more min-maxing.  I know they were jokes, but the "Leroy Jenkins" or "50 DKP minus!" vidoes are what they are for a reason.  Voice chat encourages people to turn down (or off) the game music and ambient and ability/effect sounds so that they can hear the voice chatting, and leads to "Okay, Deep Breath coming up, everyone rotate aroudn to the right...okay good, now back in position.  Alright, stop DOTs..." where fights become less about the experience and more about the "dance", complete with a coreography coach (raid leader).  Text chat also takes more time and gives things a more gradual, consistent pace.

I like talking to my friends, this is true, so I'm not 100% opposed to voice chat.  But text chat definitely has a lot of advantages.

• 1618 posts
    November 15, 2018 11:07 AM PST
    For talking to the world, text chat is fine.

But if I am actively in a group, I cannot stand text chat. I do not want to concentrate on a chat box and typing while in the middle of combat. Not to mention forgetting to hut ENTER or something and accidently activating and running around, opening Windows, instead of chatting.

Voice all the way.

Prefer built in voice like EQ2, but will use a third party program if necessary. But, in PUGs, I hate having to have all the programs installed to use whatever the group is using.
    • 9115 posts
    November 15, 2018 1:43 PM PST

Lot's of mixed replies here, I like it. Great feedback here folks, thanks! :)

• 2 posts
    November 15, 2018 1:51 PM PST

Text Chat. Never liked voice chat.

I especially dislike voice chat when a guild requires you to be in it and people are just "shootin' the ****" and talking about nothing or personal things.

Feels intrusive. It's easier to tune that out with text chat.

• 1247 posts
    November 16, 2018 6:31 AM PST

Text chat of course.

This post was edited by Syrif at November 16, 2018 6:32 AM PST