Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Text Chat vs Voice Chat

• 696 posts
    November 5, 2018 11:29 AM PST

I like both tbh. If I am grouped with friends I usually like voice chat. If I am grouped with strangers than depends on the mood of the group.

I don't think voice should be mandatory, but it won't effect the gameplay in a negative way imo to have it as an option.

• 470 posts
    November 5, 2018 11:52 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Text Chat vs Voice Chat, which do you prefer and why? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

I prefer text usually but if something complex comes up I do use voice. That's not to say I don't use voice. I will certainly do that with friends and guild regularly. But on the PUG, text...almost always text. Because you might get a great group and you might get a couple of people you want to strangle with a piano wire and stake down for the cave trolls. And until you know which, the less screeching the better. ;p

Then there's the other thing. Some people can be a bit socially awkward and are more comfortable talking in text. I've known quite a few folks like that over the years. All good people but not comfortable on the mics.

This post was edited by Kratuk at November 5, 2018 11:55 AM PST
    • 206 posts
    November 5, 2018 2:37 PM PST

obviously have text ready and available, but yes i would agree to having a very easy to you, non-complicated, group voice chat set up. 

• 1714 posts
    November 5, 2018 3:07 PM PST

Text chat for randos and world/zone conversation, and voice chat for groups and guilds. 

• 1281 posts
    November 5, 2018 3:50 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Text Chat vs Voice Chat, which do you prefer and why? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

I am primarily a text chat kinda guy, but I could also see uses for voice chat for things like Raid grouping. Voice chat for PUGs would probably be annoying.

This post was edited by Kalok at November 5, 2018 3:52 PM PST
    • 429 posts
    November 5, 2018 3:57 PM PST

In the middle here . Depends on many things . 

But in game voice is fine for groups or guild . but most times I perfer text  . ( old  school )

• 2138 posts
    November 5, 2018 4:13 PM PST

I prefer text.  In Raid situations, leadership having voice is better for communication. As twitchers became popular I can see raid leaders being sought after for their drama in presentation and coordination of a raid like a good dungeon master in DnD. 'Once more into the breach, dear friends..." sort of thing, or Aragorns speech infront of Mordor but modified to fit the game and situation, Master & Commander "lifelines for and aft!- casters to the left- two minutes!- two minutes knights! before the minions of balrog come upon us!... or somesuch.  And provided, they have the anergy nand desire to do so.  

Having an option to talk to text for groups n such can help not having to stop when running. the tech is already there on phones :)

This post was edited by Manouk at November 5, 2018 4:19 PM PST
    • 1399 posts
    November 5, 2018 5:13 PM PST

Jabir said:

I usually prefer text chat, in particular in PUGs. My reasons include:

• Voices reveal too much about the person behind the character. I don't want to know if the tank is a 12-year-old schoolboy or his granny.
    • Likewise, my voice and my pronounciation reveal more about me than I prefer.
    • Ambient sounds like babies crying or tvs running reduce immersion.
    • With text it's much easier to see who said what, and you can go back and check.
    • I don't like to wear headphones for many hours.
    • English is not my first language, so I find it difficult to understand what some people are saying.

Having said that, I admit that with voice it's easier and quicker to communicate during battle, e.g. when the CC says "mezzing the one on the right.... landed". And in a group of friends, where we know each others' voices and personalities well, voice chat provides a nice social "room" better suited for cracking jokes, etc.

Text chat for all these same reasons. 

Also needed is a good way to seperate and filter them.

• 122 posts
    November 5, 2018 5:36 PM PST

Naunet said:

I will happily play with my friends in voice. I do not speak in voice with strangers, though if I join a raid PUG that requires voice, I will join their server. I just won't speak. I've had enough "Oh my god it's a girl!" and other far more derogatory comments to last me a lifetime.

I prefer text chat for general situations.

OMG its a girl =) jk =)

if you are talking about VR making the game with voice I would say no stick to text.... Ill use Discord or whatever guild has if i want to talk... 

Im not a fast typer so I think in hectic situations I want voice

• 6 posts
    November 5, 2018 6:53 PM PST

I like both depending what I'm doing, if Im doing high end content with guild or hanging with friends I like voice but if Im in a pug or just mindlessly grinding I prefer text so that I can listen to music, a podcast or tv while playing.

• 752 posts
    November 5, 2018 7:02 PM PST
    I will only ever text chat my responses. Unless i have a core group of leadership that needs more elaborate swift chat. I will listen to voice. Dont like to participate. If i cant form out my words then i fail and have to double or triple explain something. Its a hassle. I like to avoid chat hassles.
    • 58 posts
    November 5, 2018 8:41 PM PST

A quick side note- I credit Everquest with a significant increase in my typing skill & speed. 

With that... here's another vote for text.  

1.  I can't often chat out loud, given the place I'm in and the people around.  

2.  Roleplaying.

• 13 posts
    November 5, 2018 9:53 PM PST

It might just be a habit, but for me, coordinating your group's activities via text chat is basically just a part of the game, as far as MMORPGs go.  

Voice chat can certainly be more effective, assuming willingness on the part of those involved, but it does seem to me that playing a genuinely difficult MMORPG using text communication and playing that same MMORPG using voice communication are two quite distinct challenges.

Perceived social pressure to use voice chat might be more harm than the good done by offering it.

• 363 posts
    November 5, 2018 10:17 PM PST

Voice chat is my preference. Frees up my hands and makes it easier to communicate during combat. 

• 30 posts
    November 5, 2018 11:21 PM PST

I prefer text chat. Because english isn´t my mother toungue and I dont wanne be blamed for my bad pronunciation :)

• 1479 posts
    November 6, 2018 1:13 AM PST

It does seem VC in PUG situation will be more popular on NA servers, with americans and canadians beeing native english speakers, while in Europe I doubt it will work as good due to many different languages making non native english speaking with an accent a chore to understand.

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at November 6, 2018 12:36 PM PST
    • 10 posts
    November 6, 2018 3:21 AM PST

Both. Without question. Doing guild/friendcontent without voice is extremely dull. Text is for messages that needs to be either quick or persistant but most importantly when dealing with "strangers" the first time.

• 18 posts
    November 6, 2018 4:02 AM PST
    Text Chat no question about it is the ONLY way to go if you’re looking for immersion. The character on screen IS the Character in text. You lose the immersion factor 100% when using voice chat, it then becomes a call of Duty , Battlefield type game feel. The Foundation of RPG’s IS immersion and role playing, and when Gobblemug the Dwarf sounds like a gangster it ruins the entire immersive experience and brings snaps you back to reality. Now of coarse there will be instances where we use voice chat in important raids, but I will only be doing this during raiding and times of importance, helping someone with their Epic etc. for the most part, all of us old school Everquest souls will be hardcore into our classes and characters and will learn our jobs to the T! And not have to have someone calling out every little detail, just do your job and be good at it and you won’t have to ruin the immersion. I also have to agree with some of you about in game sounds. I have always turned the music off and listened to the sounds of the game, the rain and thunder and footsteps, the clang of meta on metal, the spider screech, and skeleton laugh, the bear maul etc. for me it’s a no brained. Text chat unless absolutely necessary
    • 216 posts
    November 6, 2018 5:36 AM PST

I use voice chat with friends and guildies, but not with strangers.

However I use voice chat via programs like Discord or teamspeak, I don't tend to use in game voice chat as they tend to be sub par and offer less. I don't really see the point in having in game voice chat when there are so many good options out there these days.

• 96 posts
    November 6, 2018 6:16 AM PST

Kellie said:

However I use voice chat via programs like Discord or teamspeak, I don't tend to use in game voice chat as they tend to be sub par and offer less. I don't really see the point in having in game voice chat when there are so many good options out there these days.

This :)

• 37 posts
    November 6, 2018 7:17 AM PST

Neyos said:

Kellie said:

This :)

Yeah same here. :D Kellie's post pretty much exactly summed up what I would say. Text for pugs, discord with guild/friends. I guess my only exception would be if I am grouping with strangers and they are all using discord and I am the only pug and its hard content, then I will jump on to listen for instructions but would have a "broken mic" haha voice chat makes me a little anxious in front of new people.

I also agree that I would not use an in-game voice chat over discord or something.

• 125 posts
    November 6, 2018 9:40 AM PST

I'm old and typing classes did not exist when I went to school. Although I consider myself an excellent 2 finger pecker I do not type well. In EQ I hardly talked and would just use macros when pulling. I would have to type at times but was always slow at it.

Now I have a visual handicap where my brain only recieves 60 percent of the information from each eye. Although I can still drive it is actually worse than being completely blind in one eye. I can still play mmo's with little negative effects but keeping up on written chat is very difficult to say the least especially during combat so voice chat for me these days is a must in raiding and almost a must in groups.

I still however do enjoy roleplay using text during down times

I will of course have discord and teamspeak but if a quality form of chat was available in-game it would be great for people with certain handicaps.

This post was edited by Aatu at November 6, 2018 9:55 AM PST
    • 108 posts
    November 6, 2018 10:59 AM PST

#1. 3rd party voice chat with the guild or friends.

#2. Text chat

#3. Its a cold day in hell if i ever use in game voice chat.

• 201 posts
    November 6, 2018 11:13 AM PST

Text.  I use voice for general guild stuff and just hanging around and for advanced stuff but frankly I like and prefer chat via text in group and such.  I hate games where there is no chat or talk if it is not voice.

• 363 posts
    November 6, 2018 11:19 AM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

It does seem VC will be more popular on NA servers, with americans and canadians beeing native english speakers, while in Europe I doubt it will work as good due to many different languages making non native english speaking with an accent a chore to understand.

Nah. EU players prefer it too.