Forums » The Gnomes

Gnomes saving face.

• 350 posts
    September 28, 2018 5:25 AM PDT

One thing that bothers me about the gnomes in Pantheon is the lack of a face.

With just a mask showing I feel less attached to my character.

As a person who almost always plays a gnome character a more traditional take would have been far more appealing to me.

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

• 3070 posts
    September 28, 2018 10:20 AM PDT

I will be playing a gnome wizard..long as we get choices to change up that face mask..fine by me. :)

Cana

• 262 posts
    September 28, 2018 10:41 AM PDT

I think you may be the only person I've ever met that prefers traditional gnomes to Pantheon's gnomes haha. If you read their lore, they're essentially encapsulated energy. They don't have a face. I do suspect there will be various masks to choose from though.

• 1974 posts
    September 28, 2018 11:47 AM PDT

Customize a mask, customize a face, what's the difference? A face is a face, metal or flesh. 

• 3070 posts
    September 28, 2018 12:03 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Customize a mask, customize a face, what's the difference? A face is a face, metal or flesh. 

Agreed :) 

• 68 posts
    September 29, 2018 2:19 PM PDT

Yeah, I suspect a gnome's face will be as customizable as a halfling's hair.

• 422 posts
    September 30, 2018 5:26 AM PDT

Flossie said:

I think you may be the only person I've ever met that prefers traditional gnomes to Pantheon's gnomes haha. If you read their lore, they're essentially encapsulated energy. They don't have a face. I do suspect there will be various masks to choose from though.

Then you must have missed several  threads where quite a number of people (me included) say that they don't like that the Pantheon Wraiths are called Gnomes . This is quite different from saying that one doesn't like the Pantheon's Wraiths as a playable race . Otherwise if some day there should be Gnomes in Pantheon as a playable race I would indeed like to see them  more or less "traditionnal" (f.ex like WoW or EQ Gnomes) .

Btw I still wait for a believable explanation how a sword can kill encapsulated energy . Or how and why encapsulated energy dies for that matter . Or how encapsulated energy can wear a mask and hold a weapon  . Or why gravity acts on them and why they don't float . Or why they are affected by climate when they could "live" (whatever living means for encapsulated energy) in the vacuum because they need neither warmth nor atmosphere for breathing . Or why they need air under water . Or ....

There are so many inconsistent points about these wraiths and no explanation which would at least marginally make sense  that it is painful .

• 68 posts
    September 30, 2018 7:02 AM PDT

Deadshade said: (stuff)

If we're questioning the gnomes' existence yet giving carte blanche to magic and environment to produce these aspects of the world to experience, I think equal effort should be put forward to determine why magic follows the laws it does, in terms of summoning balls of energy and using them as projectiles. Without examining and giving equal footing to all sides, you might as well be saying "Magic just works, and the environment only makes sense within its own context, but gnomes are the weird ones for not obeying my native world's laws!"

How it makes sense to me: The forces encapsulating the energy that compose the gnome can be dispersed, and as a gnome levels, they get better at maintaining the passive focus it requires to endure stronger and stronger hits to their energy matrix. Encapsulated energy can die by dispersal. Encapsulated energy holds a weapon and wears a mask by virtue of the same force that allows encapsulation in the first place. Gravity acts on them and they don't float the same reason why a fireball travels with momentum and explodes on impact. Gravity acts on magic.

Re. the last point, where you ask why they need to breathe or eat or other aspects of their life that were formerly associated with their lives, that's a good question. I suspect it's something like the matrix, where it's a residual self image, and they're only holding on to these concepts because they were at the core of their mortal existence. ("You think that's air you're breathing now?" - Morpheus)

Lastly, such a magical race such as gnomes need not be explained away by people desperately clutching at reasons to dislike them, calling them wraiths and refusing to let them into their place as a feature of this magical world, rather let the devs have free reign to put in a twist on a classic race and produce something original. They make enough sense to me.

• 422 posts
    September 30, 2018 8:33 AM PDT

wizen said:

Ok so gravity acts on magics excepted when it doesn't . Magics is dispersed by matter excepted when it doesn't . Encapsulated magics has the power and the need to simulate a material body with some esoteric force but couldn't find the simple solution which was not to go incorporeal first place and just to suppress some external mundane energy instead . Why does the sun rise in the east on Pantheon ? Magics :)

What makes mankind different from stones is that we ask questions . So what is contradictory and inconsistent makes me to ask questions too .  If the lazy answer "magics" was everything why then bother to write some lore ? Why would the developpers spend time writing posts about the "whys" and "hows" of Pantheon ? They could just write one sentence  : "Anything you may ask has only one answer : magics ."

Tolkien has written a text which became a great classic about creation of fantasy worlds and he demonstrates quite clearly that successful fantasy and magical worlds are not synonymous of irrationality and of "anything goes" . On the contrary, it is the inner consistence of a fantasy world which makes us "to suspend our disbelief" .

Of course the devs have the right to put in the game anything they want (You are in our world now !)  and I have nothing against them putting a Wraith race there . I have of course the right to ask why some explanations we are given are inconsistent . From this point of view I consider that the Wraith race in Pantheon is bad design and definitely doesn't make me to suspend my disbelief . Some may like it and some don't .

• 722 posts
    September 30, 2018 11:50 AM PDT

Deadshade said:

Flossie said:

Then you must have missed several  threads where quite a number of people (me included) say that they don't like that the Pantheon Wraiths are called Gnomes . This is quite different from saying that one doesn't like the Pantheon's Wraiths as a playable race . Otherwise if some day there should be Gnomes in Pantheon as a playable race I would indeed like to see them  more or less "traditionnal" (f.ex like WoW or EQ Gnomes) .

Btw I still wait for a believable explanation how a sword can kill encapsulated energy . Or how and why encapsulated energy dies for that matter . Or how encapsulated energy can wear a mask and hold a weapon  . Or why gravity acts on them and why they don't float . Or why they are affected by climate when they could "live" (whatever living means for encapsulated energy) in the vacuum because they need neither warmth nor atmosphere for breathing . Or why they need air under water . Or ....

There are so many inconsistent points about these wraiths and no explanation which would at least marginally make sense  that it is painful .

You can included me in that group as well. And I like how you put it "don't like that the Pantheon Wraiths are called Gnomes" that pretty well sums up my thought's on it as well. I don't think they should have corrupted a commonly recognized race so far beyond recognition. it's now a totally different race.

I’m all in for changing things up, what they have done with Halflings is amazing, love it  Even without harry feet. But this with Gnomes, they destroyed them. This isn’t a gnome, it’s simply a waste of the name “Gnome” why didn’t they just come up with a name for this race they put into the game?

Well as I said in a previous post on the subject, maybe in a later expansion they can introduce a “Ancient Gnome” or something from before the “event’s on there home world” caused this.

edit: and I'm still waiting to hear how a HEAL spell for char.'s made of Flesh is suppose to work on a char. made of "encapsulated energy". I guess they arent actually "heal" spells but more Hit Point infusions !? 

This post was edited by Zorkon at September 30, 2018 11:55 AM PDT
    • 1974 posts
    September 30, 2018 12:36 PM PDT

They aren't wraiths or made of energy/encapsulated energy.

"With the very power that was afflicting our bodies, we were able to repossess our souls into the Resivore cloth called Maq'esh. This garment, woven from the hallowed mineral, was meant to further our survival as we drew nearer to Elos, though we knew it could not preserve us against her final embrace."

They are bound and infused into the cloth itself. 

Zorkon said:

edit: and I'm still waiting to hear how a HEAL spell for char.'s made of Flesh is suppose to work on a char. made of "encapsulated energy". I guess they arent actually "heal" spells but more Hit Point infusions !? 

How does a heal spell work on flesh? Seals the wounds. I imagine the same holds true for cloth.

This post was edited by Iksar at September 30, 2018 12:38 PM PDT
    • 522 posts
    October 2, 2018 2:24 AM PDT
    So we should give healers bonuses in tailoring and leatherwork?
    • 1974 posts
    October 2, 2018 1:51 PM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said: So we should give healers bonuses in tailoring and leatherwork?

There isn't any item degradation or repair so no, can't mend what isn't broken/damaged. 

• 68 posts
    October 2, 2018 3:25 PM PDT

Besides which - and I can't believe I need to say this - but tailoring and leatherwork aren't magical practices. A spell could just as easily mend cloth or leather as it would flesh. Leather, for one, IS flesh, and cloth it woven plant flesh. I'm not saying that magic can heal it because magic, but instead that if it is capable of healing one and making sense, it's capable of healing the other.

Or, alternatively, are people here going to complain about halfling healers also needing to be hairdressers? Or of horns and teeth getting broken, and of healers not being dentists? We're playing a game here, my friends, and it's going to make a certain amount of nonsense. 

As far as avatars go, though, thinking about it, I too would be disappointed if I had a mask instead of a face. Avatars are supposed to represent the player in an identifiable way, and if the avatar doesn't have a face, then it's going to be very hard to identify with them.

• 522 posts
    October 3, 2018 6:21 AM PDT
    Is two pieces of leather or cloth you plan on sticking together different then a wound? If anything it would be easier, so long as you have a good idea what the finished product will look like. Speaking of which, gnomes are just cloth and metal, so shouldn't they by lore and logic get healed much more easily?
    • 315 posts
    October 12, 2018 3:05 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said: Is two pieces of leather or cloth you plan on sticking together different then a wound? If anything it would be easier, so long as you have a good idea what the finished product will look like. Speaking of which, gnomes are just cloth and metal, so shouldn't they by lore and logic get healed much more easily?

Boom shakalakalaka. Except I wouldn't assume clerics, druids, and shamans know how to magically sew or mend fabrics. So maybe Gnomes would be in trouble. Unless healing magics magically heal whatever substance needs to be made whole again. Would healing magic restore a crumbling statue?

Unless healing heals the Gnome soul inside the cloth...

This post was edited by Alexander at October 12, 2018 3:10 AM PDT