Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Scenario - Servers need to go down

• 9115 posts
    September 20, 2018 4:02 AM PDT

Scenario - Servers need to go down for an emergency patch/hotfix on your main gaming night, what do you do instead? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

1 - Hit the forums to let the devs know how much you love them and appreciate all their hard work ;)
    2 - Spend time with loved ones and enjoy quality human interactions (IRL FTW)
    3 - Figure out a way to end world poverty and hunger while gaming (Pants optional, obviously)
    4 - Other (explain below)

• 97 posts
    September 20, 2018 4:10 AM PDT

Catch up on shows! =D Just finished The Ozarks S2.

• 409 posts
    September 20, 2018 4:21 AM PDT

Err idk.. option 3 I guess: Play another game while waiting.

This post was edited by Nimryl at September 20, 2018 4:30 AM PDT
    • 612 posts
    September 20, 2018 4:45 AM PDT

I would burn Cadmium :-)

• 259 posts
    September 20, 2018 4:55 AM PDT

Hit the forums with your loved ones, with no pants of course, and find a way to end world peace while letting the devs know how much you love them and appreciate all their hard work!

• 1479 posts
    September 20, 2018 5:35 AM PDT

4 - I would probably sleep to gain power for the moment the server would go UP.

• 1921 posts
    September 20, 2018 6:46 AM PDT

4 - Keep playing because all the current zones stay online until the updated zones are available.

I can't remember which MMO did/had this in the past few years, but it is an awesome feature.  Absolutely no pressure whatsoever, especially if you were already in-game.  Patching was seamless and there was zero server downtime, effectively.  Why?  Because the moment you needed to patch is the exact moment the new zones were up.  The only delay to the customer playing was their available bandwidth to patch the client.  So, sure, disconnect all the current sessions if you want to, or give them a generous grace period to zone/re-log/patch, but it can be done elegantly, with current/past technology.

• 793 posts
    September 20, 2018 6:47 AM PDT

Log into forums, and rant about how pathetic the game must be that it needs ANOTHER emergency patch. /jk

It would depends on expected downtime. A few minutes (like 30 or less), probably browse the forums. 

If expected downtime is and hour or more, then I go find some tasks around the house that need to be done, or something and check back later.

• 2138 posts
    September 20, 2018 7:14 AM PDT

4. Get kicked out to Log-in chat and see whos there and laugh at the snarky comments in chat. Ask everyone what the latest update is or, watch the flood of comments/questions regarding the general welfare of the hamster as soon as a dev posts a general update message in log-in chat. See if any other servers are up. Bounce out to official forums and bounce back into log-in chat. Maybe think about that one persons suggestion of starting level 1 Skar's on the PvP server that is up and having a drunken free for all. After a while, watch TV in the background and hope and think about tomorrow.

• 2419 posts
    September 20, 2018 7:16 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Scenario - Servers need to go down for an emergency patch/hotfix on your main gaming night, what do you do instead? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

1 - Hit the forums to let the devs know how much you love them and appreciate all their hard work ;)
    3 - Figure out a way to end world poverty and hunger while gaming (Pants optional, obviously)

4 - Other.  Curl up in the fetal position, rocking back and forth while telling myself repeatedly that it will soon be over and that I'll be OK...that everything will be fine..you'll see. 

• 1281 posts
    September 20, 2018 7:24 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Yes....hehehe  I do whatever floats my boat at the time, including waiting for the servers to come back up.

• 3852 posts
    September 20, 2018 7:36 AM PDT

Since this is a Kilsin thread I will resist temptation and actually give a serious answer.

I would check the forums. If anyone complained about the nerve of the developers shutting the servers down just to fix an emergency I would:

"let the devs know how much you love them and appreciate all their hard work"

Then I would read a book.

• 432 posts
    September 20, 2018 7:39 AM PDT

Well Kilsin I wonder if you have a book full of questions "What a dev has always wanted to ask but never dared ."

In this new case I only know that I would not choose 1 through 3 and that I have a dozen of interesting and equivalent options for 4 . In any case as I have experience with emergency patches on MMO servers I would make sure that the option I choose will take me to the time I go to bed .

I would probably check the server the next evening with a very high expectation that unforeseen events have changed the 15 minutes hotfix in a small scale Apocalypse and that "No ETA on the servers at this time . Sorry and thanks for your patience ."

• 1785 posts
    September 20, 2018 7:39 AM PDT

Either Option 3 or:

4 - Turn on Netflix and try to remember what show it was that I was watching three months ago last time I turned on Netflix

5 - Pace around my home muttering about how the servers need to come back up

6 - Go on my guild website/discord and finally post all the things I've been meaning to but haven't yet

7 - Take advantage of the unexpected free time to catch up on sleep.

• 198 posts
    September 20, 2018 7:47 AM PDT
    I'd go work on leveling up my real life. :)
    • 646 posts
    September 20, 2018 8:03 AM PDT

Depends on what my plans were for that day and what time the servers went down. Probably wouldn't notice if it was in the very early AM because sleep. Would be doing chores and errands in the not so early AM. If it was later after noon or evening, I'd probably just go play something else (I play multiple MMOs) or RP with husband and others on our forums or catch up on some show or whatever.

• 801 posts
    September 20, 2018 8:09 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Id just hit the forums and let Kilsin know whats up... Then tell him what is your deal? get back to work, this is your job...

LOL naw, basically get a real life and go watch TV, eat, more eatting and then click refresh on the game until bed time.

• 513 posts
    September 20, 2018 8:12 AM PDT

Start writing more fan fic I suppose...  I can't seem to get Chainey out of my gourd!

• 363 posts
    September 20, 2018 8:20 AM PDT

Combine two and three with my lady.

• 319 posts
    September 20, 2018 8:25 AM PDT

I would visit the forums and catch up on the local gossip. If the downtime was an extended period I would catch up on rl. Seeing that I am a "muture" single male and my kids are probably older than most of Pantheon's followers  there is not much family life to take care of. Maybe a short visit to my great-grandchildren would be an idea.

• 1404 posts
    September 20, 2018 10:50 AM PDT

Get on the forum's or chat and complain that we should all get a refund of 1% of our monthly sub's for the 1% of the month we were "denied service" that we paid for!!!

J/K 

But seriously I used to see that all the time in EQ chat when the servers went down. I would probably go find something else to do.. a movie, jobs around the house I had been putting off. I would likely not try to log back in that day as it's just a recipe for frustration when all the players try to log back in at once... now your talking queues and more waiting.

Much more peaceful to just come back tomorrow.

• 239 posts
    September 20, 2018 11:20 AM PDT
    Complain, curse pPantheon out under my breath. Then explain to my wife I was talking to myself again.
    But depending on time of release to other games.. Jump on some fallout 76, or Divnity 2.
    But I would still be cursing the Pantheon servers out while playing.
    • 36 posts
    September 20, 2018 12:06 PM PDT

Watch a show while keeping an eye on the server status...

• 22 posts
    September 20, 2018 7:15 PM PDT

Firewalker said:

Watch a show while keeping an eye on the server status...

What he said ^

• 1860 posts
    September 23, 2018 9:26 PM PDT

Probably go to the forums...but firstly, talk with the guild and try to get everyone to log out at X raid mob spawn so that we are ready to go after the server resets.