Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

March (or lack there-of) of the Ents

• 1281 posts
    September 17, 2018 8:11 PM PDT

So, some of us were talking in the Discord and came up with an idea.

A haunted forest, but instead of the usual haunted forest, a forest made up of Ents that lost some war in the past and were cursed to live the remaidner of their days "planted" in the ground.  They were still living, sentient beings, but unable to move or leave their spot.  Maybe the ambient sound during the day would be whispering noises and rustling and at night it could be moaning and rustling.  Maybe you can interact with some of the "planted Ents".  Maybe some could hand out Perception quests.  They'd be cursed to see their dead brethren that were also planted wither away and rot.

Thougs?  Ideas?

• 3852 posts
    September 17, 2018 8:20 PM PDT

Reminds me of a certain zone in East Rohan (LOTRO) although this would take it a lot further. 

May not be all that good a zone for a woodworker to harvest lumber in.

• 752 posts
    September 17, 2018 8:22 PM PDT
    Expansion material?
    • 1281 posts
    September 17, 2018 8:32 PM PDT

Maybe during the day, the "planted Ents" are relatively friendly, the ones that you can interact.  Maybe at night they are unfriendly.  Sort of like Kithicore on steroids.....

• 612 posts
    September 17, 2018 8:42 PM PDT

Tree's that can comment on what's going on around them... like having a commentator:

"Oh look, that Monk just pissed off that wolf I wonder what's going to happen."
    "Oh my the wolf is hot on his tail."
    "Oh now the Dire Lord is hitting the poor wolf... Go wolf Go you can do it!"
    "Oh no, the Dire Lord is getting healed by that Druid... bad form... unfair..."
    “Ah Ha! The wolf just ate the Wizard, that will teach him not to Over Nuke!”
    “Oh my… that Rangers arrow almost hit me!”
    “Yikes… I think that Ranger is actually aiming at me”
    Ranger says: “Shut up you stupid tree!”

• 2138 posts
    September 18, 2018 8:02 AM PDT

Being planted they would not attack unless you were near them? and at night there would be higher proximity aggro? like from root networks?

It sounds like they would mumer and speak and bemoan, maybe say things like "get off my lawn!" while I try to show patience as they speak of things that are not relevant to me.

What would stop me form moving on?- or would it be kind of like a quick-sand/root trap where you are given options to respond and you have to pick the right sequence of answers to get past or get perception hints? or be freed to move from being untangled from their vast root network. The responses could change every time.

Kithicor on steroids- so the rooted trees would be harder monsters at night but could not attack you unles you ran into them or started *gulp* chopping them down so-to-speak as the "fight". Maybe a bottle-neck zone? dangerous at night because it is impassable- you would get rooted and stay there for like 20min or so? like waiting for a boat but without the anticipation- as it is a bottleneck zone- a narrow zone you have to go through to get somewhere else where during the day its somewhat ok, but at night might be betetr to wait till day, or choose to go around?

• 1281 posts
    September 18, 2018 8:06 AM PDT

Manouk said:

Being planted they would not attack unless you were near them? and at night there would be higher proximity aggro? like from root networks?

It sounds like they would mumer and speak and bemoan, maybe say things like "get off my lawn!" while I try to show patience as they speak of things that are not relevant to me.

What would stop me form moving on?- or would it be kind of like a quick-sand/root trap where you are given options to respond and you have to pick the right sequence of answers to get past or get perception hints? or be freed to move from being untangled from their vast root network. The responses could change every time.

Kithicor on steroids- so the rooted trees would be harder monsters at night but could not attack you unles you ran into them or started *gulp* chopping them down so-to-speak as the "fight". Maybe a bottle-neck zone? dangerous at night because it is impassable- you would get rooted and stay there for like 20min or so? like waiting for a boat but without the anticipation- as it is a bottleneck zone- a narrow zone you have to go through to get somewhere else where during the day its somewhat ok, but at night might be betetr to wait till day, or choose to go around?

Maybe they don't move or attack at all directly.  Maybe they call on the spirits of the forest to come attack.  Like wild animals or what not.  After dark, maybe the undead.  There's alot that could be done with it, but I like your idea of using social aggro.

• 752 posts
    September 18, 2018 1:56 PM PDT
    In my mind i view this as a “safe” zone but a pain in the butt zone and here is why/what i would do. Quest ents are wanderer’s and shuffle around unless conversing with someone and the rest of the tree’s shuffle about based on an AI algorithm that they must be a certain distance from any other tree. No pathways to show you direction. And the atmosphere is kinda dim/dark like a really old forest.
    • 2419 posts
    September 18, 2018 3:03 PM PDT

Kalok said:

Maybe they don't move or attack at all directly.  Maybe they call on the spirits of the forest to come attack.  Like wild animals or what not.  After dark, maybe the undead.  There's alot that could be done with it, but I like your idea of using social aggro.

Maybe they are just really passive/aggressive trees and just silently raise their roots as players run through the forest, constantly tripping them so they fall down.  By the end of the forest they are all covered in mud, leaves and twigs.

• 696 posts
    September 18, 2018 3:08 PM PDT

This kind of zone reminds me of the plane of mischief zone. I hope pantheon has some just weird zones that have a lot of dynamics and flags to them that people have to figure out like plane of mischief. This Ents area seems like it would be fun and chaotic at certain times.

• 38 posts
    September 18, 2018 3:22 PM PDT

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

Tree's that can comment on what's going on around them... like having a commentator:

"Oh look, that Monk just pissed off that wolf I wonder what's going to happen."
    "Oh my the wolf is hot on his tail."
    "Oh now the Dire Lord is hitting the poor wolf... Go wolf Go you can do it!"
    "Oh no, the Dire Lord is getting healed by that Druid... bad form... unfair..."
    “Ah Ha! The wolf just ate the Wizard, that will teach him not to Over Nuke!”
    “Oh my… that Rangers arrow almost hit me!”
    “Yikes… I think that Ranger is actually aiming at me”
    Ranger says: “Shut up you stupid tree!”

This. Is. Awesome.

• 1404 posts
    September 18, 2018 9:28 PM PDT

I like the idea, stationary mobs and I  would really love to see what the devs could do with it.  Im thinking the mobs having a short agro range with a long ranged attack " My business is with Isengard tonight. With a rock and stone " and close enough to each other to chain agro. 

So I  ask ya, just how good IS your enchanter?

• 752 posts
    September 19, 2018 11:35 AM PDT
    See i think of this idea for an Ent forest as more of a non aggroe and not killable mob zone that confuses and disorients you. Maybe as some sort of high end dynamic event they can turn against your raid and then its a new ballgame.