Forums » Fan Fiction

My personal port...

• 513 posts
    September 16, 2018 1:52 AM PDT
    How did I get here.  How did I get HERE?  Where was here anyways?  Maybe some reflection is due.  Life for me was nothing out of the ordinary.  School was no different for me that anyone else.  I wasn’t the smartest kid, but I sure wasn’t the dumbest either.  Math was good for me.  Science was more than fair.  History was great.  I did well in sports.  But to be honest, I spent the majority of my life in the woods.  I grew up on the out-skirts of a U.S. National Park.  My family wasn’t wealthy in the slightest.  In fact, some would say we were kinda far in the other direction.  But, while mom and dad were off doing contract work constructing houses etc., I was home alone gardening for veggies.  I was pretty good at that.  If I wanted meat, I had to get that myself too.  While I say I was nothing much in school, I was damned good at hunting.  I taught myself all kinds of things.  How to track.  How to kill without emotion.  How kill and clean.  How to eat what you kill.  How to hide your tracks.  I hated those damned Game Wardens.  Always trying to catch me.  As if simply trying to stay alive was some sort of crime.  I think the things I learned in the woods were the best things I ever learned.  One thing I DID like in school was mythology.  In particular I learned about Dianna.  I was fascinated with her story.  A lot of backwards internet trolling led me to some deeper and darker stories from histories far older than most considered.  Dianna was just her most modern name.  She had other names far older.  She also had names in every historical society there was.  She was the Huntress.  Like me.  Well, except I am a guy and she is a god.  I did most of my hunting at night.  So did she.  Once you get used to it, the light of the moon is far bright enough to hunt anything.  I knew I was pretty good the night I brought home fish for a late meal.  I had shot it from distance with a bow.  I was that good.  I guess it was only natural for me to start talking to the moon while out on my hunts.  Thanking her for her light.  Thanking her for the bounty.  I dunno if I actually believed any of it, but I talked to her most nights.  While I never heard her actually say anything to me, I always felt like she was listening.  Maybe she was rewarding me with my skills etc.

Life goes on and eventually I graduated high school.  There was nothing holding me in place so I went.  The Marines was a natural fit.  Boot Camp was fun.  STA platoon in the Fleet afterwards was expected.  The single deadliest weapon in the Marine arsenal turns out to be a radio.  Anyhow, not too mush time later I found myself on patrol at night in one of the Stans.  Some of the guys were using NVGs and doing a half-assed job of keeping an eye-out.  I never liked the damned things.  My night vision was pretty damned good and I liked it that way.  I was tasked with covering our tail by a solid click so found a perch and watched the guys head off towards their next map plot.  Ten minutes later was when the fun and games started.  I have great night vision – I know, I keep pushing that fact.  But there I was looking out over this valley in the middle of BF nowhere and suddenly I see this white glowing buck.  14 points for sure.  This guy had to weigh in at over 200 lbs.  BIG.  And glowing.  I had learned in high school that “glowing” was a cute way of saying “giving off some sort of radiation”.  And since I was in on of the Stans, that was NOT a good sign.  I gave chase.  And it was an amazing chase.  It wasn’t about just speed.  It was about intuiting when to go left and when to go right.  There was a large field of boulders and it went in there and I meant to have it.  After what felt like a couple of hours but could have been a couple of minutes, I slowly moved through a pair of boulders and found the deer overlooking a large pond.  There was no pond on the map, but here it was.  I watched the stag without aiming knowing full well I would never harm it.  The chase had been too perfect.

“It was perfect, wasn’t it Scout”?  The voice in my head was female.  The stag before me changed and soon it was a very athletic girl.  There was no doubting who it was.  Still, it’s not every day that a mortal meets a god.  Obviously I had tripped somewhere and was suffering a concussion.  “What?  I give you this and you call me a mirage?  What kind of gratitude is that?”  What the hell, who am I to look a good dream in the face and deny it?  May as well play along.  “Good choice, Scout”.  “Soooo, how am I supposed to address you your ladyness, er, godliness, um..”  “Just stop.  No one has prayed to me in over a thousand years.  And you suck at it. You and I are here for a reason.  I am done here.  I am leaving.  And since you are the last one to actually believe in me, I’m taking you with me.”  I noticed there was no choice from her, just a simple piece of information – I’m going and you’re coming with me.  “Oh you better believe it.  Being a god has some perks and taking what’s mine is one of them”

That’s how I got here.  What this here is I don’t know.  Shining lights with no patterns.  Sounds without rhythm.  At least it was comfortable and there was air to breathe.  “I tried to make it comfortable for you, but no, you are not breathing.  The air is different where we are going.  But I am blessing you with being able to breathe when we get there.”

When a god tells you that you are going somewhere that doesn’t have quite the same air as you are used to, you start to pay very close attention.  “Oh?  So NOW I have your attention?”  She was reading me faster than I could form thoughts in my head.  “Look, Hunter, there are some changes coming.  I am done with that world.  And so are you.  You may as well get used to the idea.  All of that history you learned is useless.  When we get there, I suggest you learn the local stuff real fast.  Even then you won’t know but a tiny portion of what’s really going on.  But here’s the gist of it.  I’m tired.  I’ve been on that world for thousands of years.  Thousands.  I am done with it.  They can do what they want now.  Most of us are gone now and so too am I.  I am done with whole god bit.  I want nothing to do with it anymore so we are going to Terminus.  That’s the name of this world, Terminus.  It’s where gods go to die.”

I am getting dumped somewhere I don’t know and the first thing that is going to happen is that my patron god is gonna croak and leave me alone.  “Oh, don’t be so Goth, Seeker.  It takes a LONG time to kill a god, and even longer for her to die of old age.  I’ll still probably outlive you by a few hundred years.”  And with that, there was a bright light, some spinning, and wetness as I found us in a lake.  The water was cold.  Oh so cold.  We swam to shore and I realized that she was already less than godly.  The coldness affected her too.  You would think she would have decided to dress in something that covered her more than a sheer toga/wrap thingy.  I could see that she was indeed could.  There was no response.  Either she couldn’t read me anymore or had simply chosen not too.  “If you can’t figure it out yet, I can’t read you anymore.  My powers are changing too fast and in any case they won’t be anywhere near as powerful as they were before.  This was a one-way trip.  And if you don’t stop staring at my breasts I swear to all the Dragons that I will give you goat feet to walk on all the way to town.” 

All the way to town I found myself wondering if having goat-feet would be a bad thing here or at least wondering if it might be worth the risk…