Forums » The Skar

The Skar reveal.

• 1567 posts
    September 12, 2018 10:01 AM PDT

I'm really liking the new Skar revamp.  Is it just me or does anybody else get a Yuuzhan Vong vibe when looking at their faces?  They really do come across being the evilest of races in Pantheon which I hope remains that way.  I'll go even further and guess they will be KOS to pretty much every other player race and probably all factions in the game.

• 73 posts
    September 12, 2018 10:31 AM PDT

I very much dislike the new form. They look like goblins!

Dont believe me? Google "Goblins" and select images! Now look at all those images and compare it to what they showed in the newsletter!

Yeah, i liked what they said about making them unique but they failed on that aspect!

"

Q: The Skar are unique to Pantheon. What was the inspiration for the race?

Forrest Imel - Concept Artist: Well a lot of the art, as always, is very much lead by Justin’s wonderful lore. I know on my end though, it was very important to not make this race feel like something from any other game. I looked at demons and undead races from other popular games and kept track of the things that would lean too far on the undead side, or demonic side, or feral side, and so on"

So Nope, sorry go back to the drawing board!

• 73 posts
    September 12, 2018 10:39 AM PDT

Earlier i was wondering, where i had seen this look, then it dawned on me! Goblins from Warsliks woods! 

This post was edited by Senadin at September 12, 2018 10:40 AM PDT
    • 1567 posts
    September 12, 2018 10:41 AM PDT

I can see where you get that impression, especially with their splayed leg stance.  Reminds me of the LoTR movie goblins.  What we're missing is a sense of scale compared to human, elf, etc.  Are they gnome sized?  Human sized?

• 73 posts
    September 12, 2018 10:46 AM PDT

I got a feeling they are pretty lanky, maybe human size or taller? It is well made but to me too close to goblins in look and also in how goblins are mostly always using scraps for armor/weapons. 

• 1567 posts
    September 12, 2018 10:55 AM PDT

Senadin said:

I got a feeling they are pretty lanky, maybe human size or taller? It is well made but to me too close to goblins in look and also in how goblins are mostly always using scraps for armor/weapons. 

While I like the savage nature of the Skar, I really hope they are not too primitive in their armor and weapons.  Why does savage/tribal need to equate to primitive? The incorporation of bone into armor/weapons is nice, like a bone handled sword, bone/sinew bow, maybe even the skull of a large beast as a helm.  It can still look aggressive and angry.  But I hope it doesn't go too far to the primitive side.

• 45 posts
    September 12, 2018 11:11 AM PDT

To me, the new vision of the Skar look more like the Moredhel in the Raymond E Feist Riftwar novels.  Moredhel were Elves that had fallen to Chaos and Evil and were servants/worshippers of the Valheru (Dragonlords), who were Gods/Demi-gods.  I think they made a good decision, as the new Skar look much less visually confusing than they did before.  Before they appeared somewhat insectoid to me.

This post was edited by Valheru at September 12, 2018 11:13 AM PDT
    • 73 posts
    September 12, 2018 11:23 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Senadin said:

While I like the savage nature of the Skar, I really hope they are not too primitive in their armor and weapons.  Why does savage/tribal need to equate to primitive? The incorporation of bone into armor/weapons is nice, like a bone handled sword, bone/sinew bow, maybe even the skull of a large beast as a helm.  It can still look aggressive and angry.  But I hope it doesn't go too far to the primitive side.

Tribal and primitive, the words by their very nature means less advanced, Wouldnt make sense for them to live in huts but they have advanced weaponry? Tho that wouldnt prevent them from using weapons they would steal.

• 1567 posts
    September 12, 2018 12:16 PM PDT

I wouldn't say the weaspons need to be advanced, but you can still have a savage or even primal aesthetic that doesn't need to be ugly and primitive.  At least I hope that can happen.  Regardless of the design aesthetics of the Skar, they have solidified as my main choice for my future Shaman and DireLord.  I like the additional struggle of playing a race KOS to everyone else.

This post was edited by Vandraad at September 12, 2018 1:52 PM PDT
  • September 12, 2018 1:46 PM PDT

I personally liked the initial concept art of the Skar, especially the longer torso and arms that seem to have been removed from the new concept.  They seemed like a "Pantheon" take on the Troll race, similar to the Gnome race.  Now I just see another conveniently humanoid form that appears to be a compromise between a cool idea and the reality of the situation.  If anything, I think they resemble a self-mutiliating goblin tribe, and would actually prefer that background over the one described in the lore.

• 749 posts
    September 12, 2018 2:18 PM PDT

They do kind of look like pyscho goblins lol. They also remind me of a way more scary version of the troll in WoW. Anyways, I am not playing a Skar so I don't really feel any attachment to their looks, but one perspective is why do people feel the need to make a savage looking race lankey? I feel like I could choke one of them out. Now if they were big bulky and intimidating, and their ears were toned down a little and all of the self cutting doesn't look open and fresh and acutally look like scars from constant battle and rituals, then I can dig them a lot more. 

This post was edited by Watemper at September 13, 2018 9:01 AM PDT
    • 749 posts
    September 12, 2018 2:20 PM PDT

double post

This post was edited by Watemper at September 12, 2018 2:20 PM PDT
    • 97 posts
    September 12, 2018 2:37 PM PDT
    Unholy D'shath!

This will be my Necromancer's race. It already was likely, but now its a sure thing.

I am one who already liked the Skar artwork, and I was a bit concerned about the rework. But you guys have done an awesome job.

Keep it up!
    • 3 posts
    September 12, 2018 3:43 PM PDT

Im digging the revamp!  I imagine there will be a face editor etc.

• 207 posts
    September 12, 2018 3:53 PM PDT

Personally, I like it. Not everyone is going to like every aspect of the game though. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to go back to the drawing board though.

They changed the other form for valid reasons, if you read the entire post. What more could you do to change the original look without getting rid of key aspects of the race? They had to change it entirely.

Based off what I read for what they were going for and what combinations they were messing with, I think they landed it pretty well. As long as there is bone appearance customization on the face and body, I'll be pretty excited to see them in game. I'm not sure if I will make one, as I was never interested in it, but I would love to have one in my party!

All races are going to look similar in a way. Halflings are essentially just smaller humans with elf ears. Gnomes aren't even original gnomes, they are spectrals with masks. Dark Myr are essentially mermaids.

Skar are a PANTHEON race. They fit in well with the lore, and I mean... Come on... Every game needs an evil race. And they look awesome!

• 483 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:08 PM PDT

They are part Klingons and part Reavers (from tvshow Firefly)

• 69 posts
    September 13, 2018 6:14 AM PDT
    I did not like the original concept, so actually like the revamp. I previously had ignored the scar as visually they did not appeal. But now my Direlord may have to be one
    • 1567 posts
    September 13, 2018 7:08 AM PDT

fancy said:

Skar are a PANTHEON race. They fit in well with the lore, and I mean... Come on... Every game needs an evil race.

I just hope that of the evil races, the Skar are the worst of the worst.  Just once I'd love to see a race that is KOS to everyone everywhere.  Even the other 'evil' races look at the Skar and say 'We're evil, yes, but those Skar?  Always taking it too far."

• 251 posts
    September 13, 2018 8:05 AM PDT

I believe there will be some nice customization options for character design.  The cheekbone horns are unique.  I can imagine alot of cool modifications are possible.  They remind me of the underground creatures from the novel Decent.

This post was edited by Caine at September 13, 2018 8:09 AM PDT
    • 749 posts
    September 13, 2018 9:01 AM PDT

accidental post

This post was edited by Watemper at September 13, 2018 9:01 AM PDT
    • 507 posts
    September 13, 2018 9:43 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

fancy said:

Skar are a PANTHEON race. They fit in well with the lore, and I mean... Come on... Every game needs an evil race.

I just hope that of the evil races, the Skar are the worst of the worst.  Just once I'd love to see a race that is KOS to everyone everywhere.  Even the other 'evil' races look at the Skar and say 'We're evil, yes, but those Skar?  Always taking it too far."

You already had that in EQ with the Iksar . KOS everywhere . I wonder if it is a coincidence that Skar(i) is anagram of Iksar :) 

Besides the Iksar started their carrier also like slaves and their description in EQ is

"The Iksar are bipedal reptiles, generally as tall as a fully grown human. The males are recognized by their large tails, and many spiked protrusions upon their heads and bodies. Females are generally smaller, with thinner tails, more slender bodies than their male counterparts, with three rounded horns on their heads, swept back, sometimes connected together with a thin layer of skin."

So no, I would not say that the Skar are specifically "Pantheon" . They were obviously a relatively close copy of the EQ Iksar including the tail and the new version basically removed the tail (will it come back ?) and did slight graphical modifications (e.g more goblin like than lizard like) . 

• 272 posts
    September 13, 2018 9:37 PM PDT

Deadshade said:

. They were obviously a relatively close copy of the EQ Iksar including the tail and the new version basically removed the tail (will it come back ?) 

Look closer at the female one and actually read the dev babble in the newsletter that mentions their appearance..females have a tail, its purple and worm looking.  Probably for reproduction or young feeding.

100% improvement on skar 1.0, my wife who only plays the pretty races has been sold on Skar with this revamp.  So with her me and my son we have a skar shaman, dire lord and monk rolling out at launch

• 1567 posts
    September 14, 2018 7:05 AM PDT

Deadshade said:

You already had that in EQ with the Iksar . KOS everywhere . I wonder if it is a coincidence that Skar(i) is anagram of Iksar :)

You are quite correct, the Iksar were KOS everywhere.  I completely forgot about that, then remembered the Iksar being KOS to all the other races was quite irrelevant.  You didn't need to travel outside of Kunark as it had complete content (solo, group and raid) for levels 1-60.  Let us hope that mistake is not repeated.

• 272 posts
    September 14, 2018 9:17 AM PDT
    It wasn't a mistake. Kunark was an expansion of discovering a new land, or as an iksar, was supposed to give the feeling of being invaded by an influx of explorers and pillagers. Iksar didn't have to leave Kunark to level because it was their homeland. By your logic erudite were the only non mistake EQ race in classic due to having to leave their continent to level. Every other race could stick with it's own continent to level to cap.
    • 251 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

It not fair to say they are a close copy of what has been done before.  Because basically everything is.  The whole Fantasy Genre borrows from the past.  Almost any creature created today was borrow from something the past.  We can go back to fables from 2000 - 4000 years ago. What is important is what separates Skar from the evil races of the past.  They should be fun to role-play. 

Also, VR have a lot of room for artistic license when creating the Skarians environment?

What do you call a group of Skar?

This post was edited by Caine at September 14, 2018 10:34 AM PDT