Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

One thing you want to see copied exactly from EQ

• 42 posts
    September 18, 2018 7:19 PM PDT

I liked that EQ had multiple types on invisibility.  Invis to living, undead animals.  Rogue invis and just plain hide ability. I like how they could stack as well.  I feel that added a lot of depth to the system and wouldn't mind seeing the same level of detail being added to invisibility in Pantheon.

• 441 posts
    September 18, 2018 7:58 PM PDT

Unbalanced classes that really shine at their roll. This made every class a unique play solo and teamed. If making a Rogue be the best class for DPS teamed means they have to sucks solo, so be it. I find the more classes are balanced and do well at solo and teamed the more each class feels like all the other classes with just different graphics. 

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at September 18, 2018 7:59 PM PDT
    • 3 posts
    September 19, 2018 7:06 AM PDT

I recently played ESO and went from 1-50 and became a master crafter without ever talking to or grouping with another player. I played STWOR solo without ever joining a guild. You can get almost as good as end game gear by just doing the dailys over and over and over....

My point? I realized these MMOS, although fun in their own way, were basically single player games. There was no engagement needed with other players. My best and most favorite MMO memories are from EQ when you grouped and relied on others/guilds to help achive quests. I knew people that met in game and got married, people that are still friends to this day. When you grew as a guild it was almost a family. MMOS today have lost that and its why I stopped playing them. I realized the COMMUNITY is what made EQ special.

Everquests community has been by far and best part of any MMO ive played. Even going down memory lane by playing project1999 the community there is almost as grand as back in 2000-2003. I really hope PROTF is similar in bring people together to achive goals/quests like was needed waaaay back when. I'm not forgetful and I recall the bad too, being LFG in a zone for an hour waiting to get in a group or guilds racing to pull a Boss first.

to me everything else is seondary to a good community, that is the key to a real MMO.

• 16 posts
    September 19, 2018 8:27 AM PDT
    Complex distance, level and faction related aggro.

Most more modern MMOs have oversimplified aggro to simply be about threat generation.

The fact that you had to pay attention to your relative level, faction and distance in EQ was nice.
    • 16 posts
    September 19, 2018 8:27 AM PDT
    Complex distance, level and faction related aggro.

Most more modern MMOs have oversimplified aggro to simply be about threat generation.

The fact that you had to pay attention to your relative level, faction and distance in EQ was nice.
    • 1714 posts
    September 19, 2018 8:37 AM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

Unbalanced classes that really shine at their roll. This made every class a unique play solo and teamed. If making a Rogue be the best class for DPS teamed means they have to sucks solo, so be it. I find the more classes are balanced and do well at solo and teamed the more each class feels like all the other classes with just different graphics. 

Amen. 

• 1479 posts
    September 19, 2018 9:45 AM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Nanfoodle said:

Amen. 

That's good and bad at the same time. Eq's understanding of mechanics makes rogue proeminent as a DPS class and most other useless. I think the whole point is : If the line is thin it's ok, if it's a big caveat not to have chosen the best DPS class, then it's wrong.

• 70 posts
    September 21, 2018 4:25 PM PDT

I want Terminus to feel as dangerous and deadly as Norrath did in 1999.

That one sentence is loaded with meaning, and implies a lot of others things in order to make it so.

• 470 posts
    September 21, 2018 4:31 PM PDT

Extralarge said: Kicking snakes.

The Ding ;p

Seriously though, the community from the older days of EQ. Met a lot of good folks and there were even folks on FV that ran a yearly Tinkerfest event that quite literally lasted over 24 hours sometimes. Prizes, games, raffles, and fireworks all community created without even being designed in. That MMORPG had a fantastic community in more ways than one.

This post was edited by Kratuk at September 21, 2018 4:31 PM PDT
    • 1404 posts
    September 21, 2018 7:01 PM PDT

redgiant said:

I want Terminus to feel as dangerous and deadly as Norrath did in 1999.

That one sentence is loaded with meaning, and implies a lot of others things in order to make it so.

My vote for winner of this thread goes to redgiant

• 690 posts
    September 22, 2018 1:11 AM PDT
    It wasn't perfect, but there were several instances in eq, where a place with good loot wasn't necessarily good exp, and vice versa.
    • 438 posts
    September 22, 2018 9:20 AM PDT
    Really loved sense heading skill. You had to use it to level it. Wandering around as a new char and having your compass spin wildly just made for dumb fun. And after a long period of time working on the skill your compass would slow down or stay steady in the correct direction you were facing. Also on a side note made the spell True North that much more meaningful.
    • 1479 posts
    September 22, 2018 12:04 PM PDT

Mordecai said: Really loved sense heading skill. You had to use it to level it. Wandering around as a new char and having your compass spin wildly just made for dumb fun. And after a long period of time working on the skill your compass would slow down or stay steady in the correct direction you were facing. Also on a side note made the spell True North that much more meaningful.

I think the compass is a very late feature, probably Legacy of Ykesha where they added maps and such. For years, sense heading was just working by giving you what direction you were facing if the check was successfull.

• 363 posts
    September 22, 2018 12:42 PM PDT

A forest in the same style as Kithicor Forest, but renamed to something else. Dense, dark forest with huge, tall trees.

• 1584 posts
    September 22, 2018 3:36 PM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

I agree completely with this balancing should be cut out due to eventually leads to everyone being able to solo content

• 99 posts
    September 26, 2018 11:35 PM PDT

One of the most game breaking things in recent years was instancing. EQ had no instancing so you could see the players who could interact with you and did the same stuff all the time.

Alternate Advancement is a must have for me as well if thers none, chance that i lose interest in the game soon is high.

Difficulty / group oriented as soon as a feel overly powerful in a game i loose interest so thats what kept me playing EQ. Showing others what you could do and what you got was a big factor in EQ. And thats not PVP its PVE i disliked PVP since very early games, main reason i left UO was the stupid player killers, not because i didn win against them. But because often the most infuriating ones are just childish and immature gamers that usualy can do whatever they like, without fearing any consequence and theres no end to thoose pesky flies that sting you at the most unapropiate times.

Buffs/Debuffs have a duration of more then 45 seconds. And do more then a 5 % increase to damage. In alot of recent games buffs been weak sauce. In EQ buffs/debuffs did alot to group play. Group play was alot more efficient then solo play. In modern games with 5 ppls you kill 5 times faster then solo. In EQ you killed like 20 times faster at least :) or it felt like it. (just a oversimplified example)

So for me its:

1. No instancing but just that doesnt make me feel like im in EQ there was more to it.

1. AAs

1. No Pvp (alternate ruleset server are fine)

1. Group oriented difficulty

1. Strong buffs/debuffs

(if something of this is missing chance that i dislike the game is high) :)

This post was edited by Ondark at September 26, 2018 11:49 PM PDT
    • 70 posts
    September 26, 2018 11:51 PM PDT

Mordecai said: Really loved sense heading skill. You had to use it to level it. Wandering around as a new char and having your compass spin wildly just made for dumb fun. And after a long period of time working on the skill your compass would slow down or stay steady in the correct direction you were facing. Also on a side note made the spell True North that much more meaningful.

or having a reason to keep a dagger on you, since when dropped on the ground it always pointed North. :)

• 4 posts
    October 2, 2018 7:39 PM PDT

The ability to drop coin on the ground, it was great as a new player to suddenly find a pile of coins just sitting there. Even if it was only copper I still remember how excited I felt after finding money just lying around.

I'd also love to see high level mobs mixed into lower level areas, for example the sand giants in the Oasis of Marr or the random griffin flying around East Commonlands.

This post was edited by Solaufien at October 2, 2018 7:39 PM PDT
    • 239 posts
    October 3, 2018 9:45 AM PDT
    GMs.
    Plain and simple, they were helpful and fun for the first year or so of EQ. After that they were gone and any issue was a forum page and wait a few days.
    Or a broken and timed half ass event that would last 15 mins.
    Plenty of other great ideas on this subject here.
    • 184 posts
    October 5, 2018 6:55 PM PDT

Dumpster Diving... The option of buying other players items that they sell to the Vendors. I use to spend days going vendor to vendor buying gems and other things I needed that players would sell to Vendors, one time I really lucked out and obtained a really rare weapon that someone decided to sell to the Vendor (I was staring at the screen thinking it was a mistake, but bought it ayway).