Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

One thing you want to see copied exactly from EQ

• 643 posts
    September 13, 2018 10:06 AM PDT

One more thing:

Mystery:  I change my answer to "mystery"  

I want things not known and I want the entire community to run wild with speculation, theories, urban legends etc.

For example: "how to spawn Quillmane" or turn in a flag for PoT or if you need a magic weapon to hit a wisp etc.  I want to know and be told nothing I don't want to know the answers - I want to figure them out on our own.

And I want this to drive randomness and player invented solutions, like snare pulling or fear kiting or even randomly spawning mage pets and conning them until you get the yellow-con one.

And players making up ways to trade things between alts, and unexpected multi-questing and all that.   I want this to be a new experience that we all have to figure out.

• 1247 posts
    September 13, 2018 10:39 AM PDT
    @Aqua :)
    • 2419 posts
    September 13, 2018 10:46 AM PDT

I've thought more about this and instead of a literal copy of EQ, like a spell, item, ability, zone, etc, I want a more figurative copy from EQ:  The fun, the sense of wonder, the joy of exploration, the building obsession, the sleepless nights where you cannot get the game out of your head, the incessant searching of websites and forums where you talk about the game, the years upon years of committment.  That is what I want copied over from EQ.

• 839 posts
    September 13, 2018 2:31 PM PDT
    AOE Mez hitting the caster if your to close! And AOE dps for that matter. AOE needs to be a dangerous option in more than 1 way. Obviously PBAOE is different

Besides that lots of wandering/patrolling mobs.. but we know that is happening anyways
    • 156 posts
    September 14, 2018 5:50 AM PDT

Epic mobs like Kerafyrm that takes a massive guilds or a number of guilds to take on and defeat.  

This post was edited by Umbra at September 15, 2018 8:09 PM PDT
    • 363 posts
    September 14, 2018 8:22 AM PDT

See FAQ and answers

• 21 posts
    September 14, 2018 11:21 AM PDT

The Death Penality with XP loss only able to be recovered via rez spells & gear left on your corpse......  Just think how much easier Fear & Hate would have been if you revived with all your gear :)

About coin weight:   I remember a time when I died not once but TWICE due to coin weight.    I was wondering how much damage was adjusted due to being over encumbrance weight so I converted 100 platinumn into copper at the Rivervale bank and then I had to use my Jboots to even be able to move (at a very very slow walk).    I got as far as the fist step down just outside the bank and died due to falling damage.    So that was a thing in EQ, the more over your encumbrace you were the more damage you took from falling and it was to the point that just droping down 1 stair step can be deadly LOL

• 409 posts
    September 14, 2018 11:34 AM PDT

Krugus said:

So that was a thing in EQ, the more over your encumbrace you were the more damage you took from falling and it was to the point that just droping down 1 stair step can be deadly LOL

Happened to me last night in p99. I did the lizard meat quest in the ogre SK guild which resulted in many 2HS swords in my inventory, and was encumbered by like 2.4x my max weight. I took like 35% dmg from walking down a single step.

• 3 posts
    September 14, 2018 12:02 PM PDT

Selo's Accelerando

• 513 posts
    September 14, 2018 12:18 PM PDT

Nothing.  This isn't EQ.

• 206 posts
    September 14, 2018 12:39 PM PDT

I think what alot of us like was how hard it was to accomplish something. It requied alot of the community to discover the how to figure it out, because EQ had so many "rough mechanics(?)" not sure if thats the right verbage, but I think thats what we need.... is a slightly imperfect gaming experience. 

• 128 posts
    September 15, 2018 11:39 AM PDT

One thing?  The housing in EQ2.

But for EQ1 (aka "EQLive") The Tranquil Staff

• 18 posts
    September 16, 2018 3:09 AM PDT

100% the AA system. So many games lack any sort of Alternate Advancement for power growth, and it destroys reward systems.

I'd be happy to sit in a group all weekend to get a few more AA's to make my Charm last longer, or whatever! I'm OK with a grind in MMORPG's, and frankly, I think they NEED a grind; so long as the reward makes you feel like you're growing stronger.

I can't see a game like Pantheon working without some form of AA system.

• 129 posts
    September 16, 2018 11:49 AM PDT

Make the journey to max level matter : slow progress (death penalties, no fast travel, no dungeon-group-finder teleport, etc).

Because in too many games you reach max level too fast, and then you clear content too fast, and then players whine about no content, quit the game, and the game is empty.

The journey should be as much important as the goal.

• 19 posts
    September 16, 2018 12:14 PM PDT

E P I C N E S S = EQ was the closest i think any game got to this... which must include

- "respect" for the envionment without fear of being overly punished e.g. naked corpse runs, pvp takes % of coin instead of your gear or all money, etc

- sense of grandeur in the scale of the enviornment,

- feeling of accomplishment after completing quests and achieving objectives like killing bosses,

- meaningful loot i.e. no gear treadmill e.g. make all items potentially upgradable or useful as salvaged components for a superior weapon.. not merely replaced as the next tier with higher numbers...

- immersive story arcs/quests from the lore

- memorable music (not just from the bards)

- non-trivialisation e.g. no flying mounts, no pay-to-win, no instant worldwide teleportation, no OP items for twinks, scaling buffs from high level players 

This post was edited by spacesnowman at September 16, 2018 12:16 PM PDT
    • 22 posts
    September 16, 2018 5:25 PM PDT

Feign Death the same as it was for the SK but now for Direlord, an AA similar system, and music similar to the GoD expansion. There's a ton of other things i think EQ got right but those are the main ones.

• 844 posts
    September 16, 2018 5:52 PM PDT

Nagasakee said:

One thing?  The housing in EQ2.

But for EQ1 (aka "EQLive") The Tranquil Staff

The housing in EQ2 was fun, but having a true physical house like in Vanguard was still better. I guess non-instanced would be more accurate, since both are virtual.

This post was edited by zewtastic at September 16, 2018 5:58 PM PDT
    • 287 posts
    September 16, 2018 6:42 PM PDT
    Long epic style quests please.
    • 1584 posts
    September 16, 2018 6:50 PM PDT
    If there would be anything I would want from eq would be the complex quest lines that took a lot of time to figure out or accomplish but that's about it
    • 18 posts
    September 16, 2018 11:20 PM PDT

Actually yes, after reading some other peoples answers.

I'd love close to 0 quests, unless absolutely monstrous or epic in proportion. Days, Weeks, Months - not minutes.

Epic Weapon quests in EQ were some of the best examples of quests I've ever witnessed.

Also 100% agree with housing from EQ2. My three things for Pantheon are:

1. Fluid animations, smoothness, it needs to feel and look good to play

2. SOLID Crafting that matters!

3. Amazing player housing preferrably with a craft tied to making house items!

• 1479 posts
    September 17, 2018 1:09 AM PDT

I don't think anything from EQ should be litteraly taken, so I'll just throw here main ideas :

-Big landmass with meaningfull travels

-Player interdependancy in progression and quest resolution

-Meaningfull and rare quests leading to rewards you want to obtain

-Fun/non combat line of spells including illusions and such

• 1 posts
    September 17, 2018 10:41 AM PDT

fazool said:

One more thing:

Mystery:  I change my answer to "mystery"  

I want things not known and I want the entire community to run wild with speculation, theories, urban legends etc.

For example: "how to spawn Quillmane" or turn in a flag for PoT or if you need a magic weapon to hit a wisp etc.  I want to know and be told nothing I don't want to know the answers - I want to figure them out on our own.

And I want this to drive randomness and player invented solutions, like snare pulling or fear kiting or even randomly spawning mage pets and conning them until you get the yellow-con one.

And players making up ways to trade things between alts, and unexpected multi-questing and all that.   I want this to be a new experience that we all have to figure out.

Yeah, this please ^^^

As much fun as I had learning and exploring in EQ over the years, this is the one thing that inevitably goes away, it's just the nature of the game. It was the unknown that made EQ so exciting, if Pantheon can introduce that "unknown" feeling again, coupled with some familiar feel (like UI and game mechanics), I'll be a happy camper.

Another thing I recall about EQ that I took for granted was that, in the early days, it really felt as though there was one player behind each character. Maybe I was just naive, but it seemed like from 1999 until at least 2004, everyone was "one-boxing". The closest I ever saw to two-boxing was someone logging in a friend's rogue to pick a lock, or something of that nature. Again, I suppose there could've been lots more multi-boxing going on that I was just unaware of, but when I saw characters, there always seemed to be someone actually controlling the character. One player putting effort and time into their one main character gave the game a very different feel. I am hopeful I will find that again.

• 25 posts
    September 18, 2018 8:08 AM PDT

Getting lost in a zone.  I want to not know which direction I'm facing or where I am on the "map".  Nothing is more immersive than being lost and having to find your way out.  This is something that has never been replicated in any other game I have played.

Also - AAs.  Receiving some small benefit from killing things at max level goes a long long way to keeping people interested.  My theory on these games is this - the more goals you are accomplishing at once, the better your experience.  Killing mobs with friends = fun.  Killing mobs with fun + possible rare item drop = fun x2.  Killing mobs with friends + possible rare item drop + getting AA xp + getting reputation that you need for a quest = fun x4.

• 2752 posts
    September 18, 2018 2:56 PM PDT

Iksar. Ripped straight from Norrath and deposited upon Terminus in a collision.   /daydream

• 206 posts
    September 18, 2018 5:22 PM PDT

Crazy spell effects that clutter your screen while raiding. Like those vibrant colors that fill the whole area.