Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

One thing you want to see copied exactly from EQ

• 201 posts
    September 12, 2018 11:19 AM PDT

yeah the point here was to see if there was ONE thing that people wanted to just have brought over completely to see what things (often small and odd) that really were things people wanted to have again.  I must say, some of the posts here really made me smile and chuckle as they are great (and things I had not thought of).

• 97 posts
    September 12, 2018 11:28 AM PDT

Started p99 Everquest this week and I haven’t had this much fun in an MMO for a very long time! 

Did Crushbone last night with a 10-15 group and it was non-stop pulling, train-locking, experience-exploding fun. It was so much fun that I ended up staying up waaaay later than I had planned and I’m now tired writing this at work. I forgot what it felt like to have group synergy and to have those “edge-of-your-seat” battles that require everyone’s attention and coordination on a consistent pulling basis.

I also forgot that every time you die your spellbar is wiped and you have to re-mem them all again! Or the struggle to buy your spells because you don’t have 40 plat to purchase them all when you ding. Or the clip plane is so low, with no maps, that you have to follow the paths or you get lost and/or die. And no compass!

Here are some things I’d love to see “copied” from EQ:
    - Able to buff newbies with high level buffs which also includes twinking
    - Fearing the environment and afraid you may never find your corpse. Ever. 
    - Allow chaos to happen through random agro, pulls, pats, trains
    - Appropriate downtime to chat and bond between pulls
    - Allow copper to have weight and leaving groups to do bank runs because you’re encumbered (just kidding!)

This post was edited by Avaen at September 12, 2018 11:28 AM PDT
    • 11 posts
    September 12, 2018 11:49 AM PDT

The Freedom. Buff a mob, sure. Attack a vendor and get killed or kill him, sure. Buff a low level player with high level spells, sure. You name it, you can do it.

Oh, ok it is name one thing but a mixture of a couple of high level mobs in low level areas was very thrilling and it supported to come back one day and kill those damn Griffins!!!

• 206 posts
    September 12, 2018 12:17 PM PDT

Hidden walls, tradeable items(even after equipped), extravagant spell effects, armor dye(i think it was called Prismatic Dye in EQ), double exp weekends, Stricken By The Gods(when in zone way too high). Someone else said, that little melody when you open trade with a vendor. Yeah lots of good stuff.

This post was edited by Valorous1 at September 12, 2018 12:20 PM PDT
    • 29 posts
    September 12, 2018 12:38 PM PDT

Some things Id like to see are which were present in EQ classic;

• Languages
    • Being able to buff ppl outside group
    • Absence of auction houses
    • Trains!

• 363 posts
    September 12, 2018 1:01 PM PDT

Valorous1 said:

Hidden walls

QFE

• 409 posts
    September 12, 2018 1:03 PM PDT

Avaen said:

Started p99 Everquest this week and I haven’t had this much fun in an MMO for a very long time!  

This.

Here's what I would copy: 

1) Every single bit of the EQ1 death penalty. Lost exp, deleveling, corpse runs, corpse decay timers...all of it.

If I had more wishes:

2) Insanely rare drops for insanely hard quests. Camping placeholders for 8-12 hours minimum....that's EQ.

3) Instant travel only via other players, only via limited classes, and only available if you have already been there. The druid rings of Velious requiring a tooth should be a thing every port location should have always had for a mechanic.

4) Runspeed buff is from a few select classes, or you camp a rare spawn for a rare drop and get JBoots. Period.

5) Money has weight.

6) No maps, no minimap, Sense Heading and /loc only. Want a cartography skill, get out graph paper and get to mapping, like for real.

• 188 posts
    September 12, 2018 1:15 PM PDT

Avaen said:

Did Crushbone last night with a 10-15 group and it was non-stop pulling, train-locking, experience-exploding fun. It was so much fun that I ended up staying up waaaay later than I had planned and I’m now tired writing this at work. I forgot what it felt like to have group synergy and to have those “edge-of-your-seat” battles that require everyone’s attention and coordination on a consistent pulling basis.

I also forgot that every time you die your spellbar is wiped and you have to re-mem them all again! Or the struggle to buy your spells because you don’t have 40 plat to purchase them all when you ding. Or the clip plane is so low, with no maps, that you have to follow the paths or you get lost and/or die. And no compass!

Here are some things I’d love to see “copied” from EQ:
    - Able to buff newbies with high level buffs which also includes twinking
    - Fearing the environment and afraid you may never find your corpse. Ever. 
    - Allow chaos to happen through random agro, pulls, pats, trains
    - Appropriate downtime to chat and bond between pulls
    - Allow copper to have weight and leaving groups to do bank runs because you’re encumbered (just kidding!)

I love seeing this post from you. And Crushbone brings back sooo many memories!!! 

The copper having weight... I remember certain players would come into the dungeons and buy the fine steel items and exchange copper for gold or plat. Of course it would be in their favor and they would make good money!!

• 844 posts
    September 12, 2018 1:19 PM PDT

DazL said:

• Languages 

Thats something that unless you played orginal EQ would not understand. Especially all the EQ sychophants that seem to dominate the boards here, professing great EQ knowledge, ignoring the fact that they were 3 years old when EQ launched.

You could change your language and anyone that did not know it just saw gibberish. To learn another language you had to converse with someone that did know the language.

It was quite interesting.

• 409 posts
    September 12, 2018 1:21 PM PDT

That explorative feeling of an unknown world, zones you've never been in or explored, the wonderous spirit of adventure and danger lurking around ever corner.. basically:

"the magic that first grabbed me in EQ and then a rare few other mmo's later on".  then the magic stopped... me wants it back.

This post was edited by Nimryl at September 12, 2018 1:26 PM PDT
    • 57 posts
    September 12, 2018 1:23 PM PDT

I agree with languages. Common tongue + racial languages. It was pretty cool teaching/learning other languages during group downtime. 

• 1247 posts
    September 12, 2018 1:53 PM PDT

Nice thoughts guys and gals. For me, it's the Classic EQ community. That's what I would want to bring back. Per the streams, I think it would be hard for the community from then to not see Pantheon as Classic EQ's spiritual successor. It's nice to see the community making their way back - I predict many more to return. 

Also is pretty cool to see new people interested in this game. 

This post was edited by Syrif at September 12, 2018 2:15 PM PDT
    • 78 posts
    September 12, 2018 4:25 PM PDT
    The faction system please!
    • 198 posts
    September 12, 2018 4:32 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

DazL said:

• Languages 

Thats something that unless you played orginal EQ would not understand. Especially all the EQ sychophants that seem to dominate the boards here, professing great EQ knowledge, ignoring the fact that they were 3 years old when EQ launched.

You could change your language and anyone that did not know it just saw gibberish. To learn another language you had to converse with someone that did know the language.

It was quite interesting.

Haha yeah, I remember sitting in groups just spamming chat to try and level the languages.  

• 1921 posts
    September 12, 2018 5:40 PM PDT

I agree with Nephele.  Nothing.

Ok, one thing:  The design goal of the requirement to group to gain experience, in dungeons.

Beyond that... Yeah... after playing EQReborn?  Ay yi yi.  There's nothing I want exactly copied.  There's so much of the game that needs fixing.  Pretty much every mechanic (in a broad sense), class, spell line, gear, is buggy or broken in some way, no matter how small. :|  It's kind of sad to see, honestly, how broken the game is/was compared to a newer title.

• 560 posts
    September 12, 2018 5:59 PM PDT

While I do not think it necessary to copy exactly from EQ I would like not only the ability but the need to control your agro. Not only with CC but with pulling abilities like pacify and fd. While other games have this I really liked how EQ did it.

Other things I would love to see inspiration from in Pantheon (some of the ideas below I know are planned in Pantheon)

1. AA’s added a lot to the game and would love to see something like it in Pantheon. One of the really cool things about AA’s was the ability to use them to stay the same level as your friends while still making progress.Limited amount of abilities that can be used at any one time
    2. Clarity in class role. I know there is a lot to like in the ability to customize your character but I miss the clarity in knowing what class I needs to fill a role in a group. Sucks to get a cleric only to find out that they are more of a wizard then a healer.
    3. Abilities that you may or may not come up with a use for. It has been a while since I played EQ but I will try and name a couple examples, Fade and Glimps for the wizard
    4. Just enough downtime to have a chance to get to know who I am playing with.
    5. PVP was done perfect in EQ kind of like an afterthought.
    6. Ability to buff anyone inside or out of your group with buffs at times much higher level than them.
    7. The balance between solo and grouping. I liked that you could solo but with limited options while there was a lot of group content.
    8. The excitement of seeing a named mob.

This post was edited by Susurrus at September 12, 2018 6:14 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:58 PM PDT

When I said "no" to the question I meant I had no particular requests to make in terms of things thrown in for nostalgia.

I want many game features - ideally with 19 years of improvements in how they work.

I think some nostalgia/easter egg things will also be good and make many of us happy but I have nothing special in mind.

This post was edited by dorotea at September 12, 2018 8:00 PM PDT
    • 1404 posts
    September 12, 2018 9:18 PM PDT

Looking over our shoulder in case some Griffin or dark elf or random mob would come wandering by.

Howards golden buzzer on AGT

I hope they bring THIS feeling back, an actual dangerous world where almost,, anywhere, anytime, an attacker can show up and happen,  not just a bad pull.

• 1247 posts
    September 12, 2018 9:23 PM PDT

dorotea said:

When I said "no" to the question I meant I had no particular requests to make in terms of things thrown in for nostalgia.

I want many game features - ideally with 19 years of improvements in how they work.

I think some nostalgia/easter egg things will also be good and make many of us happy but I have nothing special in mind.

Cool Dorotea. I see what you mean. I enjoy reading some of your posts and thoughts. 

• 151 posts
    September 13, 2018 4:43 AM PDT

PoP raid progression.  It was the closest to perfect raid progression scheme of any MMO I have played.

• 25 posts
    September 13, 2018 6:06 AM PDT
    Nothing really, more features inspired by EQ and improved upon.
    Admittedly i would not say no to the Ding and skeleton laughter!
    • 844 posts
    September 13, 2018 7:53 AM PDT

I would add that I agree with the posters saying 'Nothing'.

EQ1 was great. Will always be great.

A new game designed in the 'spirit' of EQ1/Vanguard is fine.

• 696 posts
    September 13, 2018 9:11 AM PDT

The break in to fear is a good one. Something that once you get in is a struggle lol. Was just remembering that fear use to have Cazic thule say something and then one of your guildies get randomly DTed in the zone and died lol.

• 35 posts
    September 13, 2018 9:32 AM PDT

just wannna have one thing from another game (EQ2) Rattonga as available player race.

whith Rattonga's my wife would also play Pantheon :-)

• 87 posts
    September 13, 2018 9:50 AM PDT

just one thing the friendship this game gave me for all the happy coop sessions and the good(bad jokes) waiting for mana =)