Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

One thing you want to see copied exactly from EQ

• 201 posts
    September 12, 2018 6:36 AM PDT

Is there one thing that you want to literally just see brought over identically (or as close as is reasonably possible) from EQ?  Things like the message you get when conning an NPC based on faction, a graphic, a sound, etc?  For me it is the level up sound/song.  Totally emblematic of the game.  Now, don't worry about copyright or anything (within reason), just curious what pieces of EQ people really are nostalgic for.

• 2419 posts
    September 12, 2018 6:52 AM PDT

Cannabalize line of spells for the Shaman.

• 627 posts
    September 12, 2018 6:59 AM PDT

The AA system, for me that alone keept me playing. Getting xp was still usefull even at max level. This is very needed in any mmo in my oppinion.

• 30 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:05 AM PDT
    Kicking snakes.
    • 1785 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:16 AM PDT

Nothing.  I left EQ behind a long time ago and quit looking back not too long afterwards.  I don't want Pantheon to slavishly copy anything from EQ just to satisfy our nostalgic cravings.  Instead, I want Pantheon to incorporate the features and concepts that make the most sense for the game that Pantheon is trying to be.  If some of those are the same as EQ, awesome.  But if not, that's fine too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an EQ hater by any stretch.  There's a lot of EQ that I think Pantheon can learn from, and improve on - but I can say the same for just about every other MMORPG as well.  I realize that I have probably just torpedoed my forum popularity, but I want Pantheon to be the best game it can possibly be - and that means that it should have the freedom to do things differently from the sacred ancestors.

• 303 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:19 AM PDT

I have no nostalgia for everquest so I wasn't gonna reply, couldn't think of anything. Then I thught of one thing, though; if a monster is visibly carrying a weapon, it will drop it on kill. That's such a neat thing, I'm very surprised it hasn't been widely adopted by modern games as it seems like something that would be much easier to do with better tech, rather than vice versa.

• 3852 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:32 AM PDT

>Is there one thing that you want to literally just see brought over identically (or as close as is reasonably possible) from EQ? <

No.

• 206 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:42 AM PDT

Valorous1 said:

MGB KEI MB 

MGB's in main hubs is what I mean. Thank you for the great question. Also, Bard song weaving. 

This post was edited by Valorous1 at September 12, 2018 7:44 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:58 AM PDT

The little melody that plays when you use a merchant or banker.

• 1247 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:06 AM PDT

Spluffen said:

I have no nostalgia for everquest so I wasn't gonna reply, couldn't think of anything. Then I thught of one thing, though; if a monster is visibly carrying a weapon, it will drop it on kill. That's such a neat thing, I'm very surprised it hasn't been widely adopted by modern games as it seems like something that would be much easier to do with better tech, rather than vice versa.

Do you have no nostalgia because you didn't play Classic EQ (the part of it that Pantheon's Brad developed) or because you just didn't like EQ? Curious - what interests you about Pantheon? 

This post was edited by Syrif at September 12, 2018 8:08 AM PDT
    • 198 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:13 AM PDT

Kicking snakes and death touches.

• 696 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:17 AM PDT

A lot of things that I want I think are going to be implemented, but if I would have to say one, then I would like to have gnolls :P

• 17 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:23 AM PDT

I would love to see AA lines brought into the game as well just like EQ and EQ2. It opens up so much charcter costomizing. I am the type of player that loves to tinker with my toons. I can spend hours going over different character layouts and different equipment to make sure that i had gotten everything out of him.

• 1247 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:23 AM PDT

dorotea said:

>Is there one thing that you want to literally just see brought over identically (or as close as is reasonably possible) from EQ? <

No.

You don't want anything Dorotea? Just my thoughts.. many things in the Pantheon streams are already very close to Everquest, especially the Classic Everquest that Pantheon's Brad McQuaid developed. The classes and races are very similar. Also the Shaman's wolf pet, the Summoner's elemental/arcane pets, Druid and Wizard ports, a group is 6 players, mez, clarity, music/sounds and more. I imagine we will see many similarities in this new game, and some will be brought right into it since Brad had a major role in Classic EQ as he does in Pantheon. I'd say Pantheon is looking really good and I think it will only continue to improve. 

• 303 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:25 AM PDT

Syrif said:

Do you have no nostalgia because you didn't play Classic EQ (the part of it that Pantheon's Brad developed) or because you just didn't like EQ? Curious - what interests you about Pantheon? 

I didn't play it back then. I've since tried it, in fact because I was so hyped for Pantheon that I wanted to play something similar. I'm happy that Pantheon goes in the same general direction but as far as things being exactly the same I don't really care, as long as it works out well with a similar effect.

• 523 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:25 AM PDT

The original Fear or Hate break-in concept for a raid zone.  Immediately upon entry into the zone, complete chaos and destruction erupts.  Loved the emotions the early Fear and Hate raids caused, knowing it was going to be intense and hit or miss from the break-in and that everyone had to be on their toes or you'd be doing corpse recoveries for hours.  I hope they copy those types of raid zones.  

• 303 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:27 AM PDT

Syrif said:

dorotea said:

No.

You don't want anything Dorotea? Just my thoughts.. many things in the Pantheon streams are already very close to Everquest, especially the Classic Everquest that Pantheon's Brad McQuaid developed. The classes and races are very similar. Also the Shaman's wolf pet, the Summoner's elemental/arcane pets, Druid and Wizard ports, a group is 6 players, mez, clarity, music/sounds and more. I imagine we will see many similarities in this new game, and some will be brought right into it since Brad had a major role in Classic EQ as he does in Pantheon. I'd say Pantheon is looking really good and I think it will only continue to improve. 

You're misunderstanding. They are similar but not >literally identical<. That's what this thread is about.

• 612 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:29 AM PDT

Spluffen said: if a monster is visibly carrying a weapon, it will drop it on kill.

I'm pretty sure Brad confirmed this is a thing in one of the streams. And I don't think it's limited to weapons, but armor should show up on the npc as well. Also items that have an effect will give that effect to the npc too, such as regen or haste or what have you.

This means that if you find a named boss who has several different items on his loot table, you may be able to tell which of his items he is going to drop before you actually kill him.

• 1247 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:38 AM PDT

Spluffen said:

Syrif said:

dorotea said:

No.

You're misunderstanding. They are similar but not >literally identical<. That's what this thread is about.

No misunderstanding. This thread is about 'identical or as close as reasonably possible.' Some things like sound or music are actually identical while others that I listed are as close to reasonably possible, but modernized and different of course. 

This post was edited by Syrif at September 12, 2018 8:39 AM PDT
    • 1315 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:38 AM PDT

Full Group Balanced combat is the only thing I would carry over though even how that functions, greatly favoring fight/cleric/rogue/wizard/Enchanter/+1 over any other combo, I would not keep in the EQ format.  Role interchangeability between several classes needs to be equal rather than greatly favoring one specific group.

Everything else has plenty of room for 20+ years of MMO gaming evolutions and innovations.

• 643 posts
    September 12, 2018 8:46 AM PDT

The transportative feeling of total immersion, suspending of belief and the complete feeling of actually being in the world.

And evercrack

• 1247 posts
    September 12, 2018 9:09 AM PDT

Spluffen said:

Syrif said:

I didn't play it back then. I've since tried it, in fact because I was so hyped for Pantheon that I wanted to play something similar. I'm happy that Pantheon goes in the same general direction but as far as things being exactly the same I don't really care, as long as it works out well with a similar effect.

I see. In my opinion, Classic Everquest was amazing, but anything that has tried to emulate it since (like P99) has been kinda awful. They weren't able to really redo the classic layout, experience, and community. I didn't like P99 much. I think a lot of people who played Classic EQ at that time see Pantheon as its successor, not its clone. A lot of players don't really use the forums though, even when I try and convince my old friends from then lol - but they are following Pantheon at least so that's cool.

This post was edited by Syrif at September 12, 2018 9:10 AM PDT
    • 303 posts
    September 12, 2018 9:29 AM PDT

Syrif said:

I see. In my opinion, Classic Everquest was amazing, but anything that has tried to emulate it since (like P99) has been kinda awful. They weren't able to really redo the classic layout, experience, and community. I didn't like P99 much. I think a lot of people who played Classic EQ at that time see Pantheon as its successor, not its clone. A lot of players don't really use the forums though, even when I try and convince my old friends from then lol - but they are following Pantheon at least so that's cool.

I have a similar opinion about vanilla wow and the various private servers that I've played on since. That said, I certainly didn't dislike almost any design choice I encountered on P99 and I've had a very good time playing it. My only gripe with it has been the steep learning curve not to the gameplay but to the UI and the way the client presents information to you. I chalk that up to the game being old. Another problem with the game being old is that almost everyone I encounter in the game has already played it for years and they know all the ins and outs, it's been kinda done already and in a game where grouping is almost obligatory it has been hard for me to censor spoilers or whatever.

• 696 posts
    September 12, 2018 9:39 AM PDT

Spluffen said:

Syrif said:

I have a similar opinion about vanilla wow and the various private servers that I've played on since. That said, I certainly didn't dislike almost any design choice I encountered on P99 and I've had a very good time playing it. My only gripe with it has been the steep learning curve not to the gameplay but to the UI and the way the client presents information to you. I chalk that up to the game being old. Another problem with the game being old is that almost everyone I encounter in the game has already played it for years and they know all the ins and outs, it's been kinda done already and in a game where grouping is almost obligatory it has been hard for me to censor spoilers or whatever.

Yea sadly, a lot of the memories and experience we had were when EQ was fairly new. I think the game being new and people not knowing what to do gave EQ that organic feeling, but since EQ is very old people, like myself, know the ins and out of a lot fo zones and where to go and what to do and what peices of armor to go for before hand. Not knowing all that stuff was great fun when you stumble across it. So I think that is one of the big reasons why even P99 doesn't capture classic.

• 363 posts
    September 12, 2018 9:49 AM PDT

I'm fine with drawing inspiration from EQ, EQOA, EQ2, Vanguard, etc.. but I don't think anything HAS TO BE like it was in EQ. That's the whole point of a new game.