Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

shout out for basically creating a genre

• 643 posts
    August 31, 2018 4:55 PM PDT

Apparently there is now enough excitement abnout retro MMORPG's that one Yuoutuber is calling retro the new genre.

Clearly PRF is the ruler-apparent of this "genre"

Either way - it's good press on PRF, proof of the market opportunity and orphaned players (in Brad's words) and (most importantly) it's getting some buzz going in general circles, expanding the potential player base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_uJOEo0x1A

This post was edited by fazool at August 31, 2018 4:56 PM PDT
    • 134 posts
    September 1, 2018 3:18 PM PDT

I feel like this game definitely has a good buzz going that is growing everyday and Youtube is a large part of it. I found out about this game from a Youtube video titled "Death of a Game: Vanguard" and towards the end the Youtuber (Nerdslayer?) mentioned PRF and I literally paused the video at that point and came and made an account here and pledged haha. I have seen a few other people since I have been here who have joined the forums in that time with similar stories an I've only been here a few weeks. As long as this game does come out in the next couple years it should be able to do very well I think, if it catches the market at the right time.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 8, 2018 3:11 AM PDT

Bankie said:

I feel like this game definitely has a good buzz going that is growing everyday and Youtube is a large part of it. I found out about this game from a Youtube video titled "Death of a Game: Vanguard" and towards the end the Youtuber (Nerdslayer?) mentioned PRF and I literally paused the video at that point and came and made an account here and pledged haha. I have seen a few other people since I have been here who have joined the forums in that time with similar stories an I've only been here a few weeks. As long as this game does come out in the next couple years it should be able to do very well I think, if it catches the market at the right time.

Totally agree and very glad to have you on board and thinking on the same wavelength as we are.  We have a lot to do still in terms of spreading the word and getting people excited, and then we must be able to do it again when the game is closer to launch (sometime during beta).   Peaking the excitement twice, now for support, new ideas, you guys being part of the design process, and crowdfunding are all essential components of getting the Pantheon word out now.  Then, like I said, there will be another push during beta in an attempt to really reach out to new people, especially younger gamers.  We know that while combat is already engaging, tactical, exciting and fun, that it is more so for the actual player and that for people watching a stream, the excitement, intensity and tactical nature isn't as apparent -- it's always harder to convey something visually without the viewer being actually hands on.  But I think we're up to the challenge and that combat now is already much more exciting to watch than it used to be.  And that's just now -- we will continue to keep all of this in mind, that it's not just great gameplay, but that showcasing combat to people watching, say, a twitch stream is both very important and also easier said than done.  

That said, we're thinking hard on it, discussing ways to make it look more exciting, that it must appear that we are taking things to a new/next level, not just doing it in-game.  Ultimately it's how the game plays and we are making big strides each pre-alpha milestone.   But it's almost just as important to appear exciting, intense, tactical, challenging when a person is watching a stream and not actually playing.  So expect things to continue to get better in both regards.  

Lastly, always looking for feedback from the community in terms of how we can both make combat better *and* make watching combat more intriguing.  Definitely looking for ideas, guidelines, strategies, etc. from the community, listening to you all who are looking from the outside in and not just what people actually experience before they play the game themselves.

Anyway, good stuff, and PA4 has already started development and what I talk about above is a huge priority.  Please give us great feedback in terms of ideas and presentation as well, especially since most people are watching streams, movies, screenshots and not actually playing and that massive amounts of testers won't happen until alpha and especially beta.  Between now and then we have to make an effort together to properly and in a compelling manner insure that Pantheon doesn't just look great but plays great, that Pantheon isn't just a lot of fun as a core MMO, but that we've a ton of ideas on how to take things to a new level, build new concepts and tactics on top of a proven foundation, and then showcase all of this convincingly to a person who is new to the game, or who may have some concerns with the combat style we've chosen, etc.   

thanks in advance!

-Brad

• 844 posts
    September 8, 2018 9:44 AM PDT

Yeah... I'm gonna say aside from some wannebe youtuber, retro has always been a thing. You just aren't old enough if you don't think so.

• 3237 posts
    September 10, 2018 6:17 PM PDT

Duplicate post, please delete.

This post was edited by oneADseven at September 11, 2018 6:56 PM PDT