Forums » The Monk

Direlord video: Monk fights mainly with one hand?

• 19 posts
    August 31, 2018 8:30 AM PDT

I just watched a really good gameplay video with Cohhcarnage. It was so good that I'm considering upping my pledge to be able to get in on Alpha testing (I'm currently at Beta test level).

But I have a question on the Monk play in the video, where Insin played an Archai Monk.  It seemed that for 95% of the time all of the Monk's hand attacks were from the right hand. I *did* see some left handed attacks but no where near the 50% mark I would have expected.   Does anyone know if the final Monk fighting will truly be ambidextrous, or will this mainly be more of a primary/secondary type attack class?

This is the video I reference:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNQXvhA95oQ

This post was edited by Nagasakee at August 31, 2018 8:31 AM PDT
    • 300 posts
    September 1, 2018 9:26 PM PDT

One thing to keep in mind is that the skill system works very similar to how EQ1 did. The Dual Wield skill gave your offhand a chance to fire each time it's delay expired. So if your offhand weapon was a 2 second delay... every 2 seconds it would make a check on your dual wield skill to see if it was allowed to swing. In the low levels when your dual wield skill was low, this meant that the chance of it swinging was very low. It still happend sometimes, but it was always going to be more rare than not. As you leveled up and your skill in dual wield improved the more often you would see this happen. Eventually at max level with max skill, your dual wield would be almost 100% chance to swing and so it was more often the case that it was only rarely ever not swinging.

It should also be noted, that each time a successful 'check' was made, it also gave a chance for an improvement of the skill. This means that the faster your weapon in your offhand, the faster your skill in dual wield would improve, because it would be making more checks over time and thus more chance for success and thus more chance for improvement. Of course there was always a cap for the skill at each level, so once you reached that cap you could swap you weapons if you wanted since there was no need for the offhand to be 'faster' anymore.

You also only got ability damage 'bonuses' from your mainhand weapon. So you want your highest 'damage' weapon in your main hand, not your highest 'dps' weapon. Not sure if this will carry over into Pantheon as well, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• 19 posts
    September 3, 2018 12:06 PM PDT

A good explanation, though honestly I'd be a little disappointed if P's dual weild was the same as EQ's was. One of the things I did not like playing a Monk in Eq was the sense of playing a one handed character.   If this does go that way for the Pantheon Monk, I'll be sad.

In the video I "think" the Monk was level 21, so not a newbie by any stretch.  Even at that level he rarely threw a left.   So, it appears you may be correct on your assessment, and sadly correct.  I hope they upgrade the percentages of Dual Weild over what I have seen on the streams so far, as it seems very low.

This post was edited by Nagasakee at September 3, 2018 12:06 PM PDT
    • 300 posts
    September 3, 2018 4:42 PM PDT

It's possible that with the constraints of animations and the speed of his attack, you were only see'ing the animation for a secondary swing if the timing was right for the offhand to be swinging and the main hand was not. Perhaps once the full animations are in place you will see the Monks punching all IP man style (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hub5uyNYc4o ) but for now the animations probably can't keep up with doing attacks from both swings every time.

PS. For those who haven't seen the IP Man movies, you should check them out, I think you can find them all on Netflix :-) I wonder how many people will be racing to pre-reserve IP Man as their Monks character name :-)

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at September 3, 2018 4:45 PM PDT
    • 19 posts
    September 25, 2018 11:20 AM PDT

Nagasakee said:

I just watched a really good gameplay video with Cohhcarnage. It was so good that I'm considering upping my pledge to be able to get in on Alpha testing (I'm currently at Beta test level).

But I have a question on the Monk play in the video, where Insin played an Archai Monk.  It seemed that for 95% of the time all of the Monk's hand attacks were from the right hand. I *did* see some left handed attacks but no where near the 50% mark I would have expected.   Does anyone know if the final Monk fighting will truly be ambidextrous, or will this mainly be more of a primary/secondary type attack class?

This is the video I reference:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNQXvhA95oQ

Oh, I DID end up upgrading my pledge :)

• 109 posts
    October 16, 2018 11:42 AM PDT

I hope to see monks have a 50:50 ratio for their punches also.