Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Battle for Azeroth Expansion

• 97 posts
    August 15, 2018 12:17 PM PDT

Playing the latest WoW expansion just reminds me how a game like Pantheon needs to exist. Don't get me wrong...the expansion is beautiful and the music is superb as well as the writing is funny and engaging but that's where it ends. Here's why:

• I made it 120 in about 20 hours of play. Not meaningful at all. 
    • I didn't talk to one person outside my guild. Actually, I rezzed someone who died in front of me and then I ran away.
    • I started entering the dungeons last night (via group finder) and no one talked. Nothing. We just facerolled every single dungeon with it being most everyone's first time. And then everyone ninja disbands. Repeat. Guild groups are obviously more social. 

The gameplay just feels empty. I don't feel connected to any of it or just having a sense of meaningful accomplishment. I'm hoping Pantheon's "group finder" tool is non-existant (or encourages social interaction) so you can create more meaningful groups. Allowing a tool to do everything for you creates emptiness and no social interaction whatsoever. There's a point where technology and innovation can actually hurt the game. 

Anyway, back to face rolling for more gear. =) 

• 154 posts
    August 15, 2018 12:49 PM PDT

I understood this years ago... I watched a stream for a few minutes last night that confirmed that I am not missing anything. I was never able to feel connected to WoW. Perhaps I would have enjoy Vanilla but I was too busy having a blast playing Everquest 2 at the time. I tried WOW with my EQ veteran friends a few times and it felt so empty, we never enjoyed it. I am so grateful for my years playing Everquest 2. I would not trade my memories for any other games.

• 129 posts
    August 16, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

WoW used to be a game with minimum social interaction, back in the days :

-Vanilla : Auction house, no need to meet people to trade/negociate.

-Burning crusade expansion : capital city with teleports everywhere, no longer need to ask for a mage to TP.

-Cataclysm : Dungeon group finder, no longer need to look for people to make a group.

etc..

These are definately things we do *NOT* want to see in Pantheon (maybe except for an auction house or trade npc like eq1's bazaar).

• 97 posts
    August 16, 2018 11:27 AM PDT

bobwinner said:

WoW used to be a game with minimum social interaction, back in the days :

-Vanilla : Auction house, no need to meet people to trade/negociate.

-Burning crusade expansion : capital city with teleports everywhere, no longer need to ask for a mage to TP.

-Cataclysm : Dungeon group finder, no longer need to look for people to make a group.

etc..

These are definately things we do *NOT* want to see in Pantheon (maybe except for an auction house or trade npc like eq1's bazaar).

Agree!

I'm just tired of feeling empty when I play modern MMOs. But I feel like we're all responsible for this, regardless of what sorts of quality of life or technologies that are implemented. Brad's philosophy of "this isn't just a game, this is a community" sings in my heart. 

• 999 posts
    August 17, 2018 8:02 AM PDT

WoW was at its best when it was closest to Vanilla EQ (launch).  Vanilla EQ was the best when it was Vanilla EQ.  The genre desperately needs a differentiator.

• 136 posts
    August 21, 2018 7:08 PM PDT

Yeah I am currently playing WoW too (although not BFA yet I am only level 106) and its the same exact experiance. I might as well be playing a single player game honestly, there is no social interaction with other players at all. I remember it being different in vanilla for sure.

• 388 posts
    August 22, 2018 10:47 AM PDT

i think a Lot of people are going to be in for a shock when Pantheon comes out. In 1999, people were new to the internet. talking to Anyone was new and exciting. People were friendly back then. 

People of today know that most people are jerks and are jaded by how screwed up society is in 2018. 

Jokes always have a bit of truth behind them so when you see people say:  "i want a social life, but i hate people"   it's because they are sick of peoples crap. 

I'm not saying this community is going to suck, but it's not going to be the big Chatty Kathy chat room people think it's going to be.  nostalgia can cause blindness. 

There will be some conversation going on, way more than in WoW,  but it won't be 1999 ICQ chat rooms again.  A/S/L ?  lol 

however, the wow expansion is still fun though. 

This post was edited by Flapp at August 22, 2018 10:48 AM PDT
    • 40 posts
    August 28, 2018 11:48 AM PDT

I made the mistake of buying BFA just to pass the time at home (injured from work)  now i rerolled a new character on EQ the new progression server. omg a world of difference. i feel alive again i smack myself in the head for not doing this earlier and wasting money on wow.

What people see in wow escapes my understanding, but different strokes for different folks i guess.

EQ will be my home until Alpha is released and even then EQ until panthion goes live.

• 13 posts
    August 28, 2018 7:58 PM PDT

Similar issue with me and WoW.  My wife and I bought BfA (prepurchased months ago) and are already done with the expansion not two weeks in.  

The only reason I can even come up with for why I keep going back is...  I enjoy the art style?  

In the meantime we're playing some offline stuff, she's playing Fallout 4 and I'm playing around on Skyrim.   Maybe we'll head to EQ2 for a while soon.

• 1247 posts
    August 31, 2018 11:03 AM PDT

Wow.

WoW-Live and Battle for Azeroth sound pretty depressing.

• 5 posts
    August 31, 2018 11:48 AM PDT

To play the devils advocate: I play wow because it is available on my mac, eq does not. so everyone talks about the social interaction on eq compared to wow. i know of guilds that the ONLY social interaction that goes on is when they raid the newest raid zones in Everquest, ive been in different raiding guilds /social guilds in Everquest , and over the years friends have come and gone because of marriage, jobs/location changes, etc and I have made great friends that get together in wow and do raiding/group content in heroic/mythic dungeons. so to say that the wow is not social is a misrepresentation as well. as far as storyline, i like the ones the best from sw:tor because there is a different story/angle for every class yet related and from GW2. so you want a great story, how replayable will pantheon be? when i play a new expansion on wow, i read every quest and do every quest i can find, by the time i get to my 4-5th character...not anymore. Now you want me to take another year just to read the same story over and over and over and over -and over? I dont have a problem with taking a long time to get to know the zones/storyline/character, but then taking another year to do the same, you will start losing people and they will say, well the graphics was updated and people are nice but, I should have stayed in everquest because its mostlly the same? O wait, thats why we left everquest to play wow/another mmo etc. I am more interested in how the developers of Pantheon plan with player retention 2-3 years down the road and not just keep on trying to get them to come back aka the continual new expansion content that comes out for Everquest.

The point is you have the option to enjoy wow in the same sense that you enjoyed eq ( the social intereaction ) or you can do it the way you would get bored ( random dungeons and soon lfr) . mythics are a way you can get group of poeple that you like together since you cant use blizzard lfg tool. If you wanted "challenge"-even the last couple of weeks before BFA came out most people were not able to achieve the higher level mythics with their friends after the stat "nerf"-world 1st were still coming out for mythic +30, etc.

dont get me wrong, im not saying you shouldnt play pantheon and play wow, or vice versa, im saying you can decide how "conservative" / how close to eq playstyle you want, you just have more options than in everquest to do so/not to do so if you wish, and that you can make friends in the "worst" mmo's and it will still be a great game because of the social interaction. Even as a necro who likes to solo when time is limited, i still want to play in guilds/groups ( great with utility spells /mana battery anyone, dmf , etc)

This post was edited by Brendiven at August 31, 2018 11:54 AM PDT
    • 136 posts
    September 1, 2018 3:20 PM PDT

Idk if this post will get deleted but here goes nothing

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20768586746

• 97 posts
    September 3, 2018 2:50 PM PDT

Bankie said:

Idk if this post will get deleted but here goes nothing

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20768586746

The comparisons to Legion are quite accurate! 

This post was edited by Avaen at September 3, 2018 2:50 PM PDT
    • 9 posts
    September 7, 2018 2:02 PM PDT
    As someone who played WoW from 13 years ago to date with 7 lv105+ characters and BFA, I can't wait for Pantheon (I got champions pledge) so I can drop wow like a stale, stagnant hot potato. It's gotten old, the fun was gone long ago. I want the old days of non quest driven worlds and a challenge to boot with gear that was semi-rare, none of this dime a dozen stuff. In Eqoa you got the same XP in a group if not more, so it was a must if you wanted to grind. Not that solo wasn't possible but it was just faster with a group without being taxed too much with the exception of level differences between players and mobs.
    • 363 posts
    September 8, 2018 9:58 AM PDT

I don't understand why everyone who says they don't like what Blizzard has done to WoW still continues to buy every expansion they churn out. Wishing for change won't change any company. Money is the only message a business understands. Send a message and stop buying what you dislike. Boycott.

If you can't quit something you know you don't like or causes you discomfort, its time to admit you have a much bigger problem. :D 

Pandaria was my last straw with them and I haven't been back to that toxic world.

This post was edited by Willeg at September 8, 2018 12:24 PM PDT