Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Atmosphere Ideas

• 752 posts
    July 18, 2018 11:44 AM PDT

So i have been thinking a lot about the acclimation system and Atmospheres and some ideas have already been shown/talked about in the streams.

What are some types of Atmospheres you have thought of that you would like to see ingame?

For me i was thinking of a "Light" atmosphere where you need some sort of counter ability to shade your eye's from the brightness of the zone/mobs/boss bubble. This would play out well in a desert or sun scorched setting. Or even in an extreme fire environment. Or Some sort of supernatural way similar to darkness. Usually in MMO's they focus on seeing what is dark or invis, but this would flip the script and make you want to see less. Just an idea.

• 66 posts
    July 18, 2018 11:52 AM PDT

Summoners will get Summon: Sunglasses. The improved version being Summon: Aviators.

This post was edited by DagNabbit at July 18, 2018 11:52 AM PDT
    • 74 posts
    July 18, 2018 11:55 AM PDT

I know this is a fantasy game but with a name like Terminus, we could use some anti-gravity atmospheres. And how about freezing land atmospheres where you slide 30 feet when you try and stop or turn in different direction.

• 752 posts
    July 18, 2018 11:56 AM PDT

DagNabbit said:

Summoners will get Summon: Sunglasses. The improved version being Summon: Aviators.

This made me LOL at work and i had to cover my mouth.

• 1120 posts
    July 18, 2018 1:33 PM PDT

I think to start.... the less atmospheres the better.  Making people feel required to essentially gather 8 different "resist" sets will frustrate people.  But I would be into them adding atmospheres in at later times.

• 752 posts
    July 18, 2018 1:38 PM PDT

Makes sense. Just putting up a discussion point so people can voice whats in thier heads as i couldnt find a post on search for anything similar. 

I would like to see ways to counter boss atmosphere bubbles with our own bubbles. In this instance i was imagining a necro with a darkness bubble countering the effects of the light.

• 2138 posts
    July 18, 2018 2:03 PM PDT

DagNabbit said:

That's a great Idea, maybe call it glass of dimming or something. I think it has just enough meme reach into RL that "cool" players will nonchalantly call them sunglasses in game and that spell will catch on. Alternat use could be in a dark area with numeroous points of light and only with the glass of diming can you see the ONE light source you need to go to- but at he cost of not seeing anything else! like working a maze where you cant see the walls, just the light at the end that you lose when you turn a corner- imagining the walls in your mind at its most basic implementation. Or even jump scares like heading to the correct light and cant see anything else- *chomp*- "ack! whats killing me!, where?! *slashes wildly*. Low end, but possibly a use for that dynamic.

• 752 posts
    July 18, 2018 5:29 PM PDT
    The biggest thing is that some of these “atmospheres” dont actually need acclimation they just need a way to counter them. Some counters could be first person POV only. Some could be individual spell bubbles similar to how the boss projects a bubble. This could make for dynamic gameplay as a caster might have to shadow the bosses movement to keep the beneficial spell effect active.
    • 66 posts
    July 18, 2018 10:00 PM PDT

ghost7 said:

And how about freezing land atmospheres where you slide 30 feet when you try and stop or turn in different direction.

They've actually teased something pretty close to this.

• 1714 posts
    July 18, 2018 10:39 PM PDT

Porygon said:

I think to start.... the less atmospheres the better.  Making people feel required to essentially gather 8 different "resist" sets will frustrate people.  But I would be into them adding atmospheres in at later times.

We agree. It needs to be more than a keying system. It's their attempt at horizontal scaling, but I'm not sure it's a good one. We have to hope their exeuction is better than the idea, imo. 

• 1714 posts
    July 18, 2018 10:40 PM PDT

ghost7 said:

I know this is a fantasy game but with a name like Terminus, we could use some anti-gravity atmospheres. And how about freezing land atmospheres where you slide 30 feet when you try and stop or turn in different direction.

I try to not hate ideas instead of executions that I know, but in this case, I think they're both bad. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at July 18, 2018 10:45 PM PDT
    • 768 posts
    July 19, 2018 12:00 AM PDT

DagNabbit said:

As a joke, yeah 'twas fun. But please don't make this a proper suggestion. If anything, items should be crafted not summoned. I'ld be gutted if this game will end up in summoning such wearable items.

And seeing that this is not an Asian oriented production, I sure hope they won't add in modern sunglasses in a game where one uses bow, leather tunics and horseback to experience the world.

To come back to topic. I see different atmospheres as a more gradual change and challenge. 

A player could be experiencing the effect of frost or ice when walking bearfooted in snow or through icy waters. It give them a slow effect of some sort. And depending on the amount of the effect you'll get more slowed or get even frostbit/damage over time when you're going places where you haven't prepared yourself for. 

I don't see that as a point of frustration, if a monk in a thin leather strap can walk in the desert and on peaks of snowcovered mountains it breaks the immersive experience for me. A monk can still be a monk but wear adjusted clothing (padded clothing or such). The only issue would be here to have enough storage space to store the different sets. But perhaps this could be solved in character interface, by allowing different sets of clothing to be stored. Although this again would make it all too easy and personally I'ld prefer having to go to the bank or storage area to switch clothing. After all one does not venture from the blazing heat of the desert into a freezing blizzard. Based on the proposed style and approach of the dev's, I'ld see this being implemented in the game very easely.

Atmospheres I might see coming: moisture, high altitude, underwater pressure, swamps, very windy places, difficult terrain (hot, sharp), light/dark, magic.

And for those who will find it frustrating... No one commands you to go to all these places, eh. It's for those who are willing to go that extra mile and take up those challenges. Again this game is not aiming to be a copy of other mmo's, where there is no influence of the surroundings no matter what you are/wear.

This post was edited by Barin999 at July 19, 2018 12:15 AM PDT
    • 752 posts
    July 19, 2018 11:28 AM PDT

Oh ya for sure, if you don't like playing in a certain atmosphere move along. The point of Pantheon will be the ability to go to an area you enjoy playing in. Sure certain zones will have specific quests or items you might need so you may have to suffer for a small amount of time. But as far as just straight up exp gain there will be plenty of non atmospheric zones to play in. 

• 1095 posts
    July 19, 2018 1:15 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

ghost7 said:

I try to not hate ideas instead of executions that I know, but in this case, I think they're both bad. 

EQ had sliding ice floors, was fun actually. As far as anti-gravity, it could use your momentum and trajectory before entering to get thru the area. Cool jump-puzzle, hazard area or even Raid fight where an area becomes anti-gravity and carries you by your momentum. So if you were heading in the wrong direction well you will just have to eat that AOE your heading for. :)

• 2419 posts
    July 19, 2018 2:06 PM PDT

kreed99 said:

So i have been thinking a lot about the acclimation system and Atmospheres and some ideas have already been shown/talked about in the streams.

What are some types of Atmospheres you have thought of that you would like to see ingame?

For me i was thinking of a "Light" atmosphere where you need some sort of counter ability to shade your eye's from the brightness of the zone/mobs/boss bubble. This would play out well in a desert or sun scorched setting. Or even in an extreme fire environment. Or Some sort of supernatural way similar to darkness. Usually in MMO's they focus on seeing what is dark or invis, but this would flip the script and make you want to see less. Just an idea.

• Swamps or forests with dense fog that limits visibility to a few meters.
    • Airless zones or airless voids centered on an NPC that produces it, moving as it moves.
    • Very dark bubbles/voids that are centered on a location or NPC.
    • 190 posts
    July 19, 2018 5:23 PM PDT

Aich said:

EQ had sliding ice floors, was fun actually. As far as anti-gravity, it could use your momentum and trajectory before entering to get thru the area. Cool jump-puzzle, hazard area or even Raid fight where an area becomes anti-gravity and carries you by your momentum. So if you were heading in the wrong direction well you will just have to eat that AOE your heading for. :)

Ugh. I highly dislike jump puzzles in MMO's. I have difficulty with in-game spacial awareness, because I often can't play in first person - it can trigger motion sickness. If I wanted jump puzzles, I'd go play a Super Mario game. So, if there are jump puzzles in Pantheon, I am not your girl to get through them without maybe a harness to pull me along. :p

• 1281 posts
    July 19, 2018 5:46 PM PDT

wildenightwolf said:

Aich said:

Ugh. I highly dislike jump puzzles in MMO's. I have difficulty with in-game spacial awareness, because I often can't play in first person - it can trigger motion sickness. If I wanted jump puzzles, I'd go play a Super Mario game. So, if there are jump puzzles in Pantheon, I am not your girl to get through them without maybe a harness to pull me along. :p

Vertical climbing is already a thing as well as jumping onto small ledges.