Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafter's Roundtable: Tools of the Trade

• 1785 posts
    July 17, 2018 7:59 AM PDT

Hey all, Pantheon Crafters is bringing you another Crafter's Roundtable discussion.  We do a new one of these each week to get people talking and maybe, possibly generate cool ideas from the community that could show up in Pantheon once it launches!  So if you are a crafter we strongly encourage you to join the discussion!

For this week's Roundtable, let's talk tools and crafting stations - the things that enable the crafting process. How would you like crafting tools and/or stations to work in Pantheon? Should you need to seek out and upgrade your crafting tools to have a better chance of success, or should your same toolset work forever? Should there be specialized tools and/or stations that give bonuses or enable you to make certain types of items?

Feel free to talk about this here if you'd like, but we encourage you to join the Pantheon Crafters community and talk about it there too!  Here's the direct link to this discussion if you're up for it.

While you're there, check out some of the other awesome crafting discussions we have going on if you haven't already taken part:

Raiding and Crafting

Dropped and One-Shot Recipes

Item Set Bonuses

Finding Recipes

... and many more

This post was edited by Nephele at July 17, 2018 8:03 AM PDT
    • 24 posts
    August 15, 2018 7:24 PM PDT

i'd agree with different grade of crafting tools. i don't feel they should ever be required to progress, but should certainly make things easier on someone who did upgrade them. i fell the better approach would be for the use of Crafting Stations. these could be easy accessed for thier Base Grade Stations in any public crafting area or the appropriate shop, such as a sawmill in a lumber shop, or forge in blacksmith shop. however to get the better versions, you'd need to have your own house/shop, or use your guild's crafting stations. if they are trying to heavily promote social interactions, i'd propose that the Guild Crafting Stations be slightly better in some fashion then the personal variety, but do not make the personal stations trivial in the end. you could for example have the station itself identical, however, having people crafting nearby in a group, or assisting each other have it's own rewards, such as shared, or a slight increase in EXP, such as in the interdependency thread and "apprenticeship" program. that way everyone would tend to gather at the guild hall regularly for thier crafting needs as friends, yet someone might want stations in thier personal house since it might be easier to post things directly to the market from a store bought bulletin board.

• 168 posts
    August 16, 2018 8:09 AM PDT

Many games use various levels of tools to harvest the higher levels of raw materials. I think Snoochy hit on something though. You have an axe for trees but you can be capable of using an axe +1 at a certain point and then an axe +2 after that. I used DnD type terms here to show that the original axe still would work but that an axe +2 may give a higher yield, a higher % chance of successful harvest, or better odds of getting a rare item out of that harvestable tree.

I generally like a few specialty stations scattered throughout the world. I will not say ESO did that right as they were accessible by anyone. There maybe should be a bit more challenge to get to these stations but I don't think I would go the vanilla WoW route either ( there was a station deep in a 40 man raid instance IIRC). No, crafting in general should not be dependant on character level but crafting at these stations should instead be mostly dependant on crafting level.

What makes a specialty crafting station special? I suppose different stats, different armor look (for those that care about that stuff), different resists imbued to already existing gear, higher % chance of creating "Perfect Armor" vs near perfect armor (DAoC system), or better odds at overcharging successfully a piece of gear (again a DaoC system). Maybe they can imbue none base stats to gear such as +1% run speed, +2% spell crit chance, or +3% dodge on every piece of gear crafted at that location.

• 134 posts
    August 21, 2018 4:24 PM PDT

I like the crafting system they have in FFXIV. With harvesting you have a tree for example there are several different materials you can get all with a different % chance of success, and then you have a chance to get a better version of that item that you can then use to craft a better version of whatever you are crafting. An upgraded version, I forget the exact term they use I have not played that game in a while. I like that when you are crafting you actually feel like you are using your tools and making something. Its not just an animation of you standing there rubbing your hands together, you actually have to put some thought into it because you can fail if you are not careful. As I mentioned before you can also make a better version of the gear you are crafting. IIRC you could, and kind of needed to, learn every crafting and gathering skill in that game as well. 

• 29 posts
    November 4, 2018 3:11 PM PST

Crafting tools and/or stations can make or break the crafting system overall. It is important to find a good balance of tool/station accessibility. If crafters were able to craft on the spot for every item, this will be unfortunate in many ways. Firstly, the gathering areas would be congested due to there would be no need to move locations. Secondly, the supply would quickly outweigh the demand in the auction house or local markets. Lastly, this will encourage guilds to lockout certain gathering areas as there will be no need to move back and forth. I'm a strong believer in player housing and it would be a great place to store all crafting stations similar to most MMOs most specifically Star Wars Galaxies. I also think it would be a good idea to have special crafting stations scattered throughout the world map and even more so in raids. It would be smart at least in the open world to have several locations for the same crafting stations otherwise players and guilds could easily lockout access to other crafters.