Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Game to play while we wait for Pantheon

• 81 posts
    June 18, 2018 5:53 AM PDT

Can anyone recomend a MMO/MMORPG to play while waiting for Pantheon? I'd settle for a RTS.

Blood

This post was edited by Bloodfire at June 18, 2018 5:53 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:02 AM PDT

I have been playing LOTRO for the last year. One of the slower MMOs to get to maximum level in (unless you buy a level boost in the store) compared to games like Rift and EQ2 especially. I am about ready to leave and try something else - not because it has gotten worse but because I am somewhat played out. So this topic caught my eye.

A few questions might help focus recommendations, from others as well as myself.

Do you want pvp, want a game with no mandatory pvp. or don't much care? Some games like Archeage, if I remember correctly, do not let you opt out of pvp and quest in peace - you are always vulnerable at least after certain levels. A big negative to me. Ashes of Creation  (in development) may be similar that way. Some games are mostly pvp like Camelot Unchained (in development).

Do you want an Asian style game like Final Fantasy XIV or Black Desert Online or a western style (or don't care or don't know one from the other)?

Do you want a newer game with high quality graphics like Black Desert Online or would an older clunky game like Everquest or Dark Ages of Camelot (yes it still exists last time I checked) be fine if the gameplay is good?

Do you want an established MMO with a larger player base or would you be happy in a start-up still in open alpha or beta (often called early access these days at least on Steam)?

I have been debating whether to try Project Gorgon. Small, being developed by just two people more or less so improvements are slow, uses Unity like Pantheon will and is running into major lag problems because of flaws in Unity (which the Unity people will hopefully fix before Pantheon is released). Old school style, or so it claims, in a way appealing to people here. Nothing I would want to spend too much time with but for 6 months to a year, a possibility. 

I am also considering Black Desert Online. Not really my type of game (too Asian in style too much pvp) but pretty - again, maybe good for 6 months to a year. 

I eagerly await other recommendations/comments.

• 44 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:35 AM PDT

BDO would be great if they got rid of all the silly asian anime stuff such as that stupid black creature that guies you. Great game, lame story and characters.

• 769 posts
    June 18, 2018 11:17 AM PDT

P99, Obvi. 

• 7 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:18 PM PDT

i play on p99 again sice i found out about pantheon

• 154 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:24 PM PDT

I think I am going to have to try p99. I want to understand what was so amazing about EQ. Not sure where to start. If any of you have any tips?

My favorite memories are on Everquest 2 but the game took a bad direction a few years ago and I never got back into it. Why so many EQ fans did not like EQ2 at the release?

I remember the game to be challenging. Perhaps too much for most players. Crafting was crazy complex but I remember feeling some king of accomplissment. 

• 769 posts
    June 18, 2018 2:26 PM PDT

Ithaca said:

I think I am going to have to try p99. I want to understand what was so amazing about EQ. Not sure where to start. If any of you have any tips?

My favorite memories are on Everquest 2 but the game took a bad direction a few years ago and I never got back into it. Why so many EQ fans did not like EQ2 at the release?

I remember the game to be challenging. Perhaps too much for most players. Crafting was crazy complex but I remember feeling some king of accomplissment. 

If you find your way to P99, give me a shout. I'd gladly do some dungeon delving. 

Vaynard

Ketilron

Tralyan

Kotyr

Firos

Are my characters. Usually on Vaynard. 

• 22 posts
    June 18, 2018 6:50 PM PDT

Chronicles of Elyria is moving into Alpha soon, but its mainly pvp oriented, Crowfall is the same and still pre-alpha (the rumor is alpha is soon), but from what i've seen it looks ok. BDO looks nice but from what i hear its Pay-to-Win, FF14 is nice, good graphics, kinda easy, but still a good game. To be honest if you want a filler game though i'd go wtih EQ1, do a time-locked progression server, i played some awhile back, it was fun to do my greenmist quest again, do the old raids again. EQ still has some life left in it, on the progression servers the population is still healthy and they usually do another prog-server every few months.

• 154 posts
    June 19, 2018 11:53 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

If you find your way to P99, give me a shout. I'd gladly do some dungeon delving. 

Vaynard

Ketilron

Tralyan

Kotyr

Firos

Are my characters. Usually on Vaynard. 

Thank you! Will do if I manage to make p99 work :)

• 303 posts
    June 19, 2018 7:54 PM PDT

apart from p99 and vanilla wow at light's hope (both of which I play, enjoy and recommend atm), I have something a bit obscure to suggest:

Some game I found... probably 4 years ago or so called The Hammer's End. At the time (and maybe still, haven't played in ages) the game had extremely low pop. Really sad because this is such a charming game, definitely gives me retro mmo vibes.

Here's some gameplay and their website: 

http://www.thehammersend.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVt8Z2Yqa9A 

This post was edited by Spluffen at June 19, 2018 7:56 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    June 20, 2018 7:44 AM PDT

Bookmarked Hammers End as another option to try after my latest LOTRO stint - thank

• 52 posts
    June 20, 2018 3:44 PM PDT

Lights Hope is launching a new vanilla (v1.2) PvP WoW server (Northdale) this Saturday (June 23).

• 303 posts
    June 21, 2018 7:00 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Bookmarked Hammers End as another option to try after my latest LOTRO stint - thank

I logged on today to check, apparently there's an FTP option nowadays which has some restrictions on crafting and travel. Sadly, /who all showed only me so playing this game now is effectively a single player deal.

• 4 posts
    July 22, 2018 11:32 AM PDT
    I’ve gone back to EQ several times, normal and progression server, just to pass time and fulfill some nostalgia, logging into accounts held since 1999. However, Daybreak Games had a data breach were passwords were stolen and mine was one. As a result, I logged in to find everything I had accumulated for all those years removed from my account. Unable to help me, I quit at that point. Perhaps P99 would be the best, unless I can cryogenically freeze until PRF.
    • 4 posts
    July 22, 2018 11:56 AM PDT
    EQ Titanium, required for P99, is ~ $150.00, from what I can see, so maybe plinking on an EQ prog server is the way to go for now.
    • 844 posts
    July 23, 2018 9:46 AM PDT

You can find EQ Titanium out there for free, but be careful about where you get it and check it thoughly as it seems to be a favorite for malware pirates to use.

Also people could try out the Vanguard Emulator. Totally free.

https://vgoemulator.net/index.php

• 4 posts
    July 26, 2018 9:30 AM PDT
    I went to FV, a RP server for EQ that seems to have a high population. It’s fun enough to eat some hours and return to a classic system.

R