Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Which one is your favourite of the three?

• 780 posts
    June 14, 2018 6:51 PM PDT

Took me a while to decide this, but I'd go with the Paladin.  It was very close.  They all seem pretty interesting to me.  I'd still want to test all three before choosing one.

• 1860 posts
    June 14, 2018 9:48 PM PDT
    It depends what you want but from a straight tanking point of view definitely warrior.
    • 388 posts
    June 14, 2018 11:57 PM PDT

I wanted to love the Dire Lord but i think you should change the name to Vampire or Blood-knight...

it's So overly bloody, it borders on super nerd cheesy...... almost like it's trying so hard to be "cool" that the entire class comes off childish.... 

Sorry. Hate to sound like a dick, but i can't believe Brad signed off on this class description. 

So. i guess warrior is my favorite now? 

This post was edited by Flapp at June 14, 2018 11:59 PM PDT
    • 1019 posts
    June 15, 2018 4:23 AM PDT

After reading through the abilities of each I can see it now.

Group looking for tank.  Warriors only.

The mitigation, the group bonuses and the hate generation is going to end up being the only tank people who are serious about progression (and raiding when we get there) will use.

• 411 posts
    June 15, 2018 4:48 AM PDT

Paladin seems like my favorite thematically, but the Dire Lord and Warrior probably appeal to me better mechanically. I will likely try a Paladin first out of nostalgia though.

@Kittik - I agree with you, but only partially. It kind of looks like the tanks will have specific areas of expertise. By the reveal the warrior has only one mention of something that reduces or blocks magical attacks and that is the note on shield block that is contingent on having a specific shield type. Dire Lords seem like the supreme anti magic tank and the Paladins will be the anti undead tank?? There will probably be cases where groups say they are only looking for a warrior, but I think that will likely be because the group intends to fight physical focused enemies.

• 724 posts
    June 15, 2018 5:31 AM PDT

One thing that I'm not certain about: Can warriors dual wield? In the description it says they can use all weapons, but are best suited with a shield in the offhand. That would certainly be a difference to the old EQ1 warriors (can't recall if warriors in VG routinely used shields, I think they could dual wield tho). The dire lord in the picture is actually dual wielding (plus, that ogre looks definitely bad-ass!), again, quite different from EQ1.

• 19 posts
    June 15, 2018 6:23 AM PDT

This is really hard because they all have really good points to them. I was leaning more toward a Paladin before the release but now Dire Lord and Warrior sound like something fun and exciting to play.

I think it will either be a Paladin or Warrior would be my top choices though.

Paladin for the heals to either help the cleric during the battle as an emergency healer.

Warrior for the pure tankiness that the class brings but also the banner concept. Cant wait to see it implemented. 

• 209 posts
    June 15, 2018 7:07 AM PDT

Before reading the descriptions, I was most interested in the Paladin, and I still like it very much, but the Dire Lord has now pulled into the lead for me. Really, really like the abilities and the "relentless self-healing." :)

• 2886 posts
    June 15, 2018 7:22 AM PDT

Gosh, that's tough, but I think Paladin. But he first EQ character I ever took seriously was actually a Paladin. After that tho, they just felt blah in most games. However, the Paladin in Pantheon sounds fun enough to get me back into it. It shouldn't be that hard because it's not that far removed from the Cleric. And trusting that the Revenant undead will be common enough in Terminus, I think it could be a very impactful class.

• 55 posts
    June 16, 2018 12:12 AM PDT

So far after reading about the 3 tank class's it looks to me that the Warrior will be the tank of choice for groups doing content that is challenging at their level and thus using the full gambit of group skills and tactics, mainly heavy on using CC. If your going to pull mobs and CC all but one, the Warrior is the only real choice especially if it's in tight quarters because of the Paladin  AoE type threat generation style is not going to fit well with that group strategy. Add to that the Warriors wall of shields ability and that pretty much guarantees that for most raid boss encounters the only real choice will be 2 Warriors as main tanks. Warriors having an extra 20% AC and a whole other Mitigation type kinda seals the deal. Paladin's and Direlords will be relegated to special fight's made by the dev's just so pallys and DL's have a shot at main tanking every once in awhile, and even then its no guarantee that it will play out where players actually use pallys or DL's even for those fights designed to be for those 2 class to tank. 

Paladins hopefully will be able to main tank undead boss's and their minions better than Warriors, but for a raid to switch Main tanks for an encounter, it will have to be a significant advantage to switch tanks.

I also hope to see Direlords tanking the nastiest of the nastiest magical dmg dealing low physical dmg boss encounters, boss's that deal so much dmg to the tank that if it's not healing itself for large amounts the drain on the healers will be painful.

As much as I hope to see Paladin's and Direlords be relevant for raid main tanking I doubt that will be the case after reading about the 3 class's.

It looks like Paladin's are going to be great off tanks for grabbing large groups of incoming mobs and tanking them until they can be CC'd and focus fired or if they don't hit too hard maybe AoE'd to death.

Direlords appear to me to be off tanks who through an ability, tank some of the dmg off the main tank and then heal themselves mostly back up with their dps. The other use I see is off tanking Magical Add's 1 on 1, self-healing the dmg until the ranged dps can get around to switching targets and blasting it down.

So yeah, if you want to be the Main tank for most challenging content it appears at least on paper that Warriors are the way to go.

If you want to be an AoE tank who can run easier content without much CC and just AoE kill everything in waves especially if its undead then the pally is for you. Paladins might be excellent tanks for a single group, I just think they won't get picked to Main Tank raids much.

If you want to be good at PvP and off-tank dps, then the Direlord might be a good fit. 

I generally start as a tank for my Main character, and the Pally looks like a lot of fun to play, but with the deck stacked so heavily toward the Warrior I feel like I would kinda be forced to pick Warrior, and I don't really want to play the Warrior as described.

So I dunno what I'm gonna do. Maybe I won't roll a tank or at least not as my main. 

Tal 

This post was edited by Talonguard at June 16, 2018 12:26 AM PDT
    • 9 posts
    June 16, 2018 5:10 AM PDT
    All of them sound cool, so I'll probably end up having one of each. I think I'll start as either a Dark Myr Dire Lord or a Human Paladin.
    • 9 posts
    June 16, 2018 5:10 AM PDT

[removed double post]

This post was edited by eimatshya at June 18, 2018 7:30 PM PDT
    • 287 posts
    June 16, 2018 4:41 PM PDT
    Warrior all the way.
    • 264 posts
    June 16, 2018 7:19 PM PDT

I prefer the tank classes so all three are on the table for me. But I think I will start with a warrior or dire lord first because I am favoring the dark myr for my race choice.

• 33 posts
    June 16, 2018 9:37 PM PDT

Warrior, by far. Seems like too much fun, a talented warrior would go far in a group on paper.

• 168 posts
    June 17, 2018 8:34 AM PDT

I roll a tank type as an alt. It generally becomes more of an off-tank instead of a MT. It definately has to have crafting and mule utility (gather materials) as well. An off-tank with a hair of CC or dodge ability and most importantly, bag-space or load carrying capacity (if weight limitations are determined to be a part of the game). So it depends on what has not yet been revealed. With what has been revealed, I would lean toward the Dire Lord. Another concideration that cannot be looked into at this time is how mechanically solid the class ends up being. Some game classes feel unfinished and only partially realized; the last "tanky" class that I felt was almost completely done right in any of the mmos I have played may have been the DAoC Thane, LOVED those hammers!

• 81 posts
    June 17, 2018 9:28 AM PDT

I've long been a stalwart Paladin fan (almost as stalwart as Paladins are tanks!), but I'm open to testing Dire Lord once Alpha comes around.

• 409 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:19 PM PDT

I have to go with direlord because finally, someone has decided that chain armor can tank.

Nothing wrong with warrior and paladin designs, but thank you x100 for having a chain mail tank class. So subtle, yet so freakin different from like 90% of the MMOs out there.

• 54 posts
    June 18, 2018 8:36 PM PDT

I would have to go Paladin.  A CCing tank with healing and rez, not to mention a lot of bonuses fighting undead.  A class that could be quite powerful when played well.

The Warrior is a super close second.  Another impressive fighter, with gap closing abilities, great agro abilities and nice group bonuses from war banners, abilities to help direct the fight.  And abilities like Unyielding, Close the Gap and War Hero could make for some heroic saves by the warrior in bad fights.  And it will certainly be interesting to see how Wall of Shield will be tuned and used. 

Unyielding (Useable when you are in active combat with 3 or more enemies)
    The Unyielding formation boosts the Armor Class of all group members, transfers X% of all damage taken by the group to the Warrior while active and restores a portion of your Resilience each time you slay an enemy. (Uses 1 Battle Point)

Close The Gap - You leap to your enemy’s location up to 8m away. Only usable in combat. (Grants 1 Battle Point)

War Hero - You rush to the location of a group member to rescue them from imminent danger, transferring a portion of the enemy’s current Hate towards them onto you. If your Charisma is above a certain threshold, the group member's actions will generate less hate for a short time. (Uses 1 Battle Point

Wall of Shield - Link shields with another Warrior in your group or raid and incite all enemies in a 12m radius to attack both of you. For the duration of Wall of Shields, enemy damage will be mitigated using both Warrior’s combined Resilience. Both Warriors will take the same damage per hit after mitigation while the effect lasts. (Uses 3 Battle Points)

• 432 posts
    June 19, 2018 12:41 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

The June Newsletter is hot off the press and the tanks are here in force! Which one is your favourite of the three? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

Twitter Poll: https://twitter.com/PantheonMMO/status/1007215340332306433

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/classes/dire_lord/
    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/classes/warrior/
    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/classes/paladin/

Paladin. Tanking and healing roles intermixed. Might be my favorite all time. We will see.

Definitely not Warriors for reasons ive already stated in my thread "magic in the melee".

all three look effective. Well done!

-Todd