Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Stats versus Success Chance

• 259 posts
    June 9, 2018 5:59 AM PDT

This is a tough one for me to decide on. How much should your stats effect your success chances when leveling up your Tradeskills? This discussion sort of follows along lines of the racial bonuses in my previous article. While I firmly believe that races should have a bonus to Tradeskills, not anything that will throw off the balance to other races, I don’t agree that 1 or 2 specific stats should be the used as the formula for success chances. What has me questioning this is that I just started playing P99, the EverQuest Server. There will be more coming on this topic soon. I am playing as a brand-new character just starting out and I’m focusing on the Blacksmithing tradeskill as an Old School Crafter. I chose to play a Dwarf Cleric because of his wisdom bonus to success chances. The vanilla version of EverQuest used a formula for the success rate of combines based on your Intellect or Wisdom, whichever was the highest. Quote from EverQuest on Tradeskills,

“ Character stats affect all Tradeskills. Either your Intelligence or your Wisdom (whichever is the highest) will affect how often you get a skill increase. The higher the stat is, the better the chance you will get a skill improvement while Tradeskilling. “

In theory I guess this was not a bad idea unless you were a melee class. Only casters and priest classes kept a high intellect or wisdom stat. Melee depended on a combination of strength and stamina as main stats. That is pretty much true even to this day with most MMO’s. This seems kind of unfair when the melee classes need armor and weapons and would like to be able to construct their own. Unfortunately, Tradeskills in this situation makes it more difficult and time consuming for the characters that have concentrated their stats on Melee. Allowing the caster and priest classes to hold the edge in a major way when it comes to all Tradeskills seems pretty unbalancing to me. While I have no information on how this formula will work in Pantheon, I sincerely hope they will take this into consideration when setting up our success chances with a formula that is more beneficial to stats, not just a certain few.

• 780 posts
    June 9, 2018 8:58 AM PDT

Decent point.  Unless they are going to have separate stats for crafting (they might, I guess), the chance of a skill-up should probably be the same across the board regardless of stats.

• 8 posts
    June 14, 2018 9:32 AM PDT

If they give bonuses to tradeskill, I would rather it be race and not adventure stats. Also I hope they have quested and crafted gear for tradeskill with bonuses etc.. 

• 1120 posts
    June 16, 2018 11:14 AM PDT

Iirc str actually affected blacksmithing.  It utilized whatever stat was highest out of int Wis and str.  Same with dex and fletching.  So melee weren't in such a terrible spot as you think.  Now if you wanted to tailor as a warrior... then you would have had some issues.

• 259 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:19 AM PDT

Shucklighter said:

Decent point.  Unless they are going to have separate stats for crafting (they might, I guess), the chance of a skill-up should probably be the same across the board regardless of stats.

However they decide to implement it there should at least be a balance toward everyone having the same skill-up chance.

• 259 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:20 AM PDT

Valkerion said:

If they give bonuses to tradeskill, I would rather it be race and not adventure stats. Also I hope they have quested and crafted gear for tradeskill with bonuses etc.. 

I can agree with use of gear bonuses whether quested or crafted.

• 259 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:26 AM PDT

Porygon said:

Iirc str actually affected blacksmithing.  It utilized whatever stat was highest out of int Wis and str.  Same with dex and fletching.  So melee weren't in such a terrible spot as you think.  Now if you wanted to tailor as a warrior... then you would have had some issues.

You know I totally forgot about the strength bonus. Thinking back now I do remember continually hitting Yaulp while smithing.

Considering how old EQ is now, I still enjoy the crafting system.

There is a way to balance it more towards all players. I am hopeful that we will see that in Pantheon.