Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What is your preferred role?

• 2138 posts
    June 7, 2018 12:35 PM PDT

I prefer support roles, but I may experiment with CC or pulling. I kind of like the thrill of pulling and the satisfaction that comes with single pulling hard or crowded areas.

• 3237 posts
    June 7, 2018 12:41 PM PDT

I have come to enjoy all of the various roles over the years but tanking will always be my primary choice for PVE content.  For PVP, I prefer tanking if there is a "Capture the Flag" mode, but for arena settings or mass-scale PVP, the influence of a healer can be monumental and I love being a difference maker.  I also love playing rogues in PVP.

This post was edited by oneADseven at June 7, 2018 12:42 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    June 7, 2018 3:07 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is your preferred area of expertise, Tank, Healer, DPS or Crowd Control and why? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

https://twitter.com/PantheonMMO/status/1004680357285806080

I prefer DPS....  Specifically the Rogue....  If an MMO doesn''t have a Rogue or equivalent class, I won't play it.

• 162 posts
    June 7, 2018 3:51 PM PDT

You know, I can say I've done it all, just started my first bard on a TLP EQ server, which is turning out to be fun, I've tanked, I've healed, I've DPS'd, and I have played CC. My preferred role is healing and suppoty tho, which is why I will likely play a shaman when this game comes out, I get the best of both worlds, I can do a little bit of dmg too, plus support and backup heal/heal maybe? if needed. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

But, in every MMO I've played healers are probably my strongsuit, it keeps you on the edge and your job is never done. I have lots of faith in VR for doing things right. So likely this is why Shaman will be my go to.

• 66 posts
    June 7, 2018 3:53 PM PDT

1st Healer :- Just enjoy being a good healer finding the tricks to optimise MP, help other people on things, good partying opportunities, good raiding opportunities

2nd Support (CC, Mana Battery) : Enjoy being able to make a difference to the party, be that saving it from a nasty wipe or making sure EXP flows smoothly, good party opportunities.

3rd Mage caster - Sometimes you jusy want to turn your brain off, set the world on fire and watch the rest of the fight from the ground knowing you upheld the fine tradition of over nuking mages.

• 15 posts
    June 7, 2018 3:58 PM PDT

Crowd control was always my favorite, especially when leading raids. It is a way to control not only the mobs, but the raiders. Focused fire, selective targeting, and pacing are all side benefits of crowd control. Having said this, I posted a concern in the Enchanter forums regarding non-instanced raids. If other raid groups can break CC while you are trying to finesse these variables, then the Enchanter becomes obsolete, at least in raids.

• 3852 posts
    June 7, 2018 5:49 PM PDT

Over the years I've done them all - I am an altoholic and often have had all the roles.

In more recent years most often ranged dps - largely because more and more voicechat is used and my hearing is not very good any more.

Yes a dps can wipe a raid because of mishearing instructions but that is *far* less likely than a tank or healer or cc.

• 107 posts
    June 7, 2018 6:19 PM PDT
    My first choice will always be a healer role. I very much enjoy being the glue the binds a group together. I would say that I like being a main tank healer best, but so long as I'm keeping any groupmates vertical I'm a happy camper. However, playing crowd control role is a very close second. I love the feeling of taking control of an otherwise chaotic situation as well as being a source of mana supply. Support type roles fit me best.
    • 388 posts
    June 7, 2018 7:55 PM PDT

I really like heals, but, going by the pole numbers I saw on twitter, CC and Tank numbers are really low. I may go with Enchanter and Tank. Switch things up on this game. 

I will eventually have one of every single class. I will have alts, not progeny's. I won't 'retire-throw away-sacrifice' a character for "bonuses on a new toon" 

If each account doesn't have enough character slots to have one of each, you need to sell character slots in the Pantheon Store. 

• 1 posts
    June 7, 2018 8:49 PM PDT

Tank for sure :) 

• 178 posts
    June 8, 2018 1:10 AM PDT

healer, 

• 15 posts
    June 8, 2018 2:05 AM PDT
    I prefer to play healer or support but it will probably be tank in this game because I want to play a dwarf paladin :)
    • 2756 posts
    June 8, 2018 2:26 AM PDT

I answered Healer on the Twitter version, because it was an either/or choice, but really, these days I like to try all the classes and find it hard to settle on one until I have.

• 22 posts
    June 8, 2018 5:02 AM PDT

Hybrid DPS, utilizing tools being multifunctionaL I prefer ranged (ranger or like) but I don’t mind forcing melee. 

• 200 posts
    June 8, 2018 5:36 AM PDT
    Healer. I love the sense of peace and serenity I feel when I’m healing. Even if it’s mayhem. Especially when it’s mayhem! :D
    • 96 posts
    June 8, 2018 9:18 AM PDT

EQ - Enchanter (Crowd Control, situational pull-breaker, weak dps unless charming, great buffs)

WoW - Hunter (High DPS, good CC, situational off-tank if specced/equipped correctly or with the right pet)

Aion - Sorc (High DPS, great CC, limited in other utility)

So my tendancies are CC as a primary playstyle, with damage abilities being nice but not required.

• 81 posts
    June 8, 2018 9:44 AM PDT

Damage, pure and simple, Wizard or Rogue.

During a fight I want to see the biggest crit possible flash across my screen. That said, I also want to be living at the end of the fight so I reserve the right to stab/cast in a sufficiently cowardly manner.

• 432 posts
    June 8, 2018 9:45 AM PDT

Nanoushka said: Healer. I love the sense of peace and serenity I feel when I’m healing. Even if it’s mayhem. Especially when it’s mayhem! :D

How nicely is that said .

I currently balance entre 3 in that order :

1) Dwarf Paladin . Simply because Dwarf and because Paladin . It is self explaining .

2) Enchanter . I like support and I mostly played enchanter on EQ . If he is second on my list it is because I am annoyed that the races which can be enchanter are either completely unappealing to me (Gnome, Dark Myr and Human) or inconsistent with a mind controlling  class (Dwarf) . So it leaves only an elf what is not much choice .

3) Healer . For exactly the reasons Nanoushka expressed much better than I could .

• 287 posts
    June 8, 2018 6:44 PM PDT

#1 Crowd Control because there's never a dull moment pulling in a group.  I love mentally tracking the timers of all my mezzes and stuns, putting them on the right mobs to avoid pulling more than I intend to and "feeding" mobs to the group to kill. 

#2 Caster DPS because nothing makes me cackle like blowing up some poor mob at a distance.

Having watched the videos for PRF so far I'm sorely disappointed with what I see for enchanter gameplay.  Crowd control spells appear very limited in scope AND duration which means you spend most of your time trying to lock down the same mob over and over.  If they don't behave a lot more like they did in EQ I'll end up going with #2 which would make me sad.

Lastly, #3 Tank/melee dps because #1 doesn't exist any more and #2 is totally impractical without a tank, not to mention getting surprised by a mob from around a corner... Clothies get flattend quickly.  I don't particularly enjoy melee but it seems all the games push you in that direction lately.

This post was edited by Akilae at June 8, 2018 6:46 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    June 8, 2018 9:55 PM PDT

I prefer tank or healer.  Because I trust myself to handle more critical tasks than people I meet in world.  I have to get to know and trust someone before I feel comfortable being anything but a core role.

• 123 posts
    June 9, 2018 6:37 AM PDT

I played tanks in my early MMO years (EQ, WoW), then I progressively moved to melee DPS (Champion in lotro).

It will mostly depend on how classes are implemented, but currently I'm interested in the rogue class for Pantheon.

• 217 posts
    June 9, 2018 7:02 AM PDT

wildenightwolf said:

Most often, my main is a healer with a secondary as a tank (of shadowknight-style). Then I have a million alts of all different flavors so I can understand the classes/races better.

Previous mains: EQ - SK Iksar, SWG - Dancer/Teras Kasi/Sniper Human, EQ2 - Warden Dark Elf/Shadowknight Dark Elf, Rift - Cleric/Justicar/Sentinel Kelari, SWTOR - Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer (healing branch) Pure Blood.

Also, I enjoy pure healers over the DPS healers if given an option.

Totally there with ya man,

So important to know how each roll bangs.

Love alts to explore tactics others may miss with their classes as well.

I have found a love for the Wizard class but also equally  enjoy the Cleric.

One thing getting into alpha hopefully will resolve my choice.

For now,  I will say cleric.

-Vig

• 470 posts
    June 9, 2018 7:09 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is your preferred area of expertise, Tank, Healer, DPS or Crowd Control and why? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

https://twitter.com/PantheonMMO/status/1004680357285806080

I generally go tank but I also enjoy being a healer. Those are my two main go-tos. But being a bit of an altaholic, I will probably try as many different classes and roles as I have character slots.

• 55 posts
    June 9, 2018 7:35 AM PDT

My wife and I tend to do a Tank/healer combo to start new games, I tank for her and she keeps me alive. 

however we have been talking and we might try something different to start with, in this game. I think we will get to play around with our combo's a bit in Alpha to see what we wanna do.

I also enjoy blowing things up on a wizzie, or healing, shammy looks interesting.

Wife said she's looking forward to playing an enchanter again.

I think the new Summoner class might be a ton of fun depending on how it's done, and I say this as a person who almost always avoids pet class's, So High hopes that the Summoner is more like actively summoning astral entities that attack, CC or heal depending on what you summon, and then disappear so you can then summon the next cool thing to give desired effects, I'm picturing stuff you summoned in FF7 back in the day.

Instead of just the tired old trope of summoning the correct type of pet before a battle and then blasting stuff as a weak version of a wizzie.

So I can see the Summoner possibly being a helper for all roles, and that would be pretty neat and fun to play.

Tal 

This post was edited by Talonguard at June 9, 2018 7:48 AM PDT
    • 10 posts
    June 9, 2018 9:16 AM PDT

Not sure. Usually I play healers. But if I do so, then it has to be more than a 1-Button smasher. I also like crowed control and buffs (the long ones, the ones you feel the difference). I like to manage the background things. Damage meters and melees are for other people.