Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Ram prices

• 257 posts
    May 31, 2018 1:17 PM PDT

Anyone else hoping the Chinese investigation into the memory price fixing will help curb this nonsense before Alpha? Many articles, here's one from Tom's Hardware. Every time I go play around on pcpartpicker I want to cry.

• 844 posts
    June 1, 2018 1:35 AM PDT

I'm a bit more concerned about video card prices being doubled and tripled by crypto currency miners.

• 3852 posts
    June 1, 2018 7:56 AM PDT

Ram prices may be ridiculous but I hear you can get a great deal on a good breeding ewe since with fewer rams available the market has almost collapsed. 

Not that I have a personal interest in this, just too much time woolgathering while waiting for alpha, Dorotea adds sheepishly.

More seriously (it would be hard to be *less* serious) it is probably best to wait until shortly before alpha - we probably will get some advance warning and who knows what improvements there may be by that time. Even at the risk of spending the first days or weeks without the upgrade - alpha is likely to last quite a while.

• 257 posts
    June 3, 2018 8:22 PM PDT

That was chaulk full of puns lol

• 257 posts
    June 9, 2018 12:53 AM PDT

Little off topic but had to share this gem from Computex. Intel trumped all over itself again. They try to pawn off a $10,000 skylake server processor (old 14+nm) as a new chip, overclocked it using illegal gas sub ambient chiller pulling 1700 watts (just the chiller) on the most power and insane server mobo I have ever seen. This processor is a 2.7 ghz processor. They claimed 5 ghz sustained. Press is pretty pissed off about being lied to at this scale. Here's a youtube meme of it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ozcEel1rNKM

Info about it on anandtech.com and Gamers Nexus youtube

• 159 posts
    June 9, 2018 2:16 AM PDT

Retsof said:

Little off topic but had to share this gem from Computex. Intel trumped all over itself again. They try to pawn off a $10,000 skylake server processor (old 14+nm) as a new chip, overclocked it using illegal gas sub ambient chiller pulling 1700 watts (just the chiller) on the most power and insane server mobo I have ever seen. This processor is a 2.7 ghz processor. They claimed 5 ghz sustained. Press is pretty pissed off about being lied to at this scale. Here's a youtube meme of it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ozcEel1rNKM

Info about it on anandtech.com and Gamers Nexus youtube

Yeah I caught this on Ars Technica yesterday. That meme is pure gold, I'm amazed how quickly someone came up with 3 minutes worth of subtites to squeeze the comedy out of that Intel stunt :)

As far as anything hardware-related goes, if you don't need it now, wait for later. That's my rule. My last desktop lasted me 9 years with no upgrades except for the GPU. My current one should last pretty much the same thing.