Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Time for a head count!

• 7 posts
    September 5, 2019 7:06 PM PDT
    All PvE here
    • 219 posts
    September 7, 2019 1:47 AM PDT

PvE, possibly with RP (haven't really done it in games so much, but if the lore/world is right...)

PvP if its contained to areans or part of major world events.
    EDIT: Er, not arenas, battlegrounds.  I dislike arena type fights, but I like battlegrounds with grander objectives or defense nodes.  Think Alteric Valley (my personal favorite) or Arathi Basin from Vanilla WoW.  Or for FPS examples, things like the massive vs NPC fights from Halo 4 (or was it 5?) where you gain weapons and such and fight NPC hordes and bosses, or various takes on the Domination/Control Points from games like CoD or Titanfall.

This post was edited by Renathras at September 7, 2019 1:49 AM PDT
    • 32 posts
    September 7, 2019 3:32 PM PDT

For a game as easy as WoW, without severe death penalites, I am ok with PVP. But for games like EQ was when I first played it almost 20 years ago, where you end up naked with no gear, I don't want PVP. I don't want my corpse to be camped, leaving me with no gear far away, with massive experience penalties to try and get out of the situation.

• 3 posts
    September 8, 2019 2:41 AM PDT

I will never play PvP.

• 49 posts
    September 9, 2019 3:43 PM PDT

PvP for sure, hopefully there is TEAM PVP

Race or alignment based  PVP would be prefered,  adds so much more immersion and fun into a server!

• 3016 posts
    September 9, 2019 5:12 PM PDT

PVE, RP, and PVP...have spent a lot of time doing all three over the past 20 years. :)  (hehe I realize this ruins the count but..its the truth) :)

Cana

• 1 posts
    September 10, 2019 9:49 AM PDT

All of the above :P

• 13 posts
    September 17, 2019 10:09 AM PDT

PvE for me

• 168 posts
    September 17, 2019 10:40 AM PDT

Never was a fan of PVP.  RP communities could be fun, but i'm not all about the "hardcore" roleplay.  Would love something like was mentioned about a ruleset that prohibited common tongue and forced you to learn the other languages to properly communicate with them.

• 124 posts
    September 17, 2019 12:58 PM PDT

EverQuest, for me, was the best MMO I ever played, and I would most definitely take PvE over PvP given the choice between the two. However, having started my MMO days in Ultima Online, hunting PKs (player killers), and then moving on to Dark Age of Camelot after leaving EverQuest, I'm definitely not one to shy away from PvP. The reason why I loved Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot for their PvP element, was because those games were built from the ground up to support that type of gameplay. It was fundamental, and it showed.

I remember playing World of Warcraft (following the hype train) when it first released, but I wasn't sure about moving there from Dark Age of Camelot since it didn't have PvP initially (there may have been PvP servers, but no proper PvP areas for the PvE server players to fight in). I had heard Blizzard intended to patach PvP elements in at a later date, so I bit the bullet and leveled a character up to max and waited for the patch to arrive. Sure enough PvP elements were patched in a number of months later. I joined a queue, waited over an hour, was teleported in to some battleground right from the PvE zone I was in (total loss of immersion there), killed three people within a few minutes (Warlock was way overpowered at that time), the timer for the event / instance (I still don't know what it was supposed to be) hit zero and I was teleported back out again. The experience was so dissapointing, so unbalanced, so bland and so artificial compared to the three years I spent doing Realm vs Realm in Dark Age of Camelot that I literally gave my account to a guild mate that same day and never returned to the game.

In short, PvP that's bolted on to a game that was not built for it from the beginning has, in my experience, always been absolutely horrific, and trying to balance PvP in a game predominantly focused on PvE content is just as much of a car crash. Pantheon, I hope, is the EQ2 we never received, so I really have no desire to PvP in this game, and I'd really be against some retrofit PvP bolt-on because it would never compare to a game built around PvP gameplay. It would be a waste of development time, and money, stick to your roots and not try to please everyone.

PvP servers are a different thing, and I don't have any real experience of playing a PvE game with PvP rules, so I can't really comment from that perspective.

• 74 posts
    September 20, 2019 5:49 PM PDT

I'm all for RP/PVP. Realm vs realm or race/alignment based, specifically. Open world pvp without limits is something I'm not sure I'd enjoy in Pantheon, though. I like a little structure. Either some kind of level gap system where you can't just grief folks who are a trivial challenge, or a system that flags people that initiate combat but don't actually receive any kind of aggression back as bandits or something for a certain amount of logged-in time. (Kind of a way to "give up" and not fight back, and the game enforcing that as marking the aggresor as someone without honor or something.)

For a game with such severe death penalties, I'd also like it if there were mitigating factors regarding death in pvp. Maybe you keep some of your gear, but definitely not losing any experience if you weren't the aggressor. To prevent actual griefing. Just my thoughts.

• 125 posts
    September 20, 2019 6:53 PM PDT
    I don’t know if I’ve responded yet or not but I will certainly have a pvp character or two.
    • 8 posts
    September 20, 2019 7:29 PM PDT

PvE and RP is  wonderfull

• 12 posts
    September 20, 2019 10:29 PM PDT

I am all PVE all the way.

• 318 posts
    September 22, 2019 9:07 AM PDT

FFA PvP -- just like Vanguard.

• 1019 posts
    September 22, 2019 10:23 AM PDT

Work on a PvE game.  Get to solid state release.  Then release a PvP server where changes to classes don't cross pollinate. 

• 77 posts
    September 25, 2019 12:06 AM PDT

PvP, but only if it is implemented correctly.  Which means it should be:

1) consistent with the lore

2) have rewards and consequences

3) open world 

4) unbalanced on a micro level

5) balanced on a macro level

• 13 posts
    September 25, 2019 6:59 AM PDT

PVE only.

• 6 posts
    September 25, 2019 8:28 AM PDT

PVE all the way

• 77 posts
    October 17, 2019 8:49 PM PDT

FFA PvP for sure!

edit: looks like I posted earlier...not sure how to delete a duplicate post sorry!!

This post was edited by Olympeus at October 17, 2019 8:51 PM PDT
    • 520 posts
    October 17, 2019 9:09 PM PDT

PvE for life!

• 54 posts
    October 18, 2019 5:31 PM PDT

I like PvE, RP and PvP-- however I only enjoy PvP in games where it is a focus of the game since PvE games with PvP thrown in as an afterthought just aren't worth it.

• 429 posts
    October 18, 2019 7:19 PM PDT

Although I spent 5 years on RZ before long a ago before zeks were a thing (EQ). I am all for PVP it brings a sense of danger a feeling of being in a alive enviorment . ( never in 5 years did i kill or pvp in EQ but played and thrived on a pvp server ) . Having said that ..... Have at least one PVP server .. Don't plan  to PVP but then who knows after twenty years , might still enjoy the thrill of not pvp'ing on a pvp server :)

• 145 posts
    October 19, 2019 3:46 PM PDT

PvE here, never been a fan of PvP in mmorpg's.

• 84 posts
    October 23, 2019 4:15 PM PDT

PVP -- As similar to Sullon Zek as possible.