Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Racial Abilities

• 259 posts
    May 30, 2018 6:02 AM PDT

Racial abilities

Many MMO’s have used a system that in some way or another reward a certain race with a natural bonuses or abilities if you will, to certain skills. It is felt that the lore of some races allows them to have a natural affinity to certain things because of the way they evolved. This plays a major role in the design phase of the races being developed for a game. The lore tells the story of the world and its inhabitants and how they have come to possess these natural abilities.

For an example, not all races have the predisposition to the arcane arts. But there are some races that have evolved with the use of the arcane for millennia. They have always known, studied and practiced the arcane and have always used it in their daily lives. Therefore, they have developed that innate affinity towards the arcane.

There are other races that have evolved with the knowledge of herbs and plants. The same can be said about them, they have always known the benefits of what nature has to offer them. They have always used these items for food and medicines in their daily lives. They have that innate affinity towards herbalism.

Visionary Realms has designed a beautiful and sprawling lore system for Pantheon. If you haven’t read it yet I suggest that you take the time to learn the story and history of Terminus. While reading through the races I came across some of this lore for natural abilities. Here is an example from the class section of the website:

“For the good of his people, the Dwarven King Khazas sacrificed his immortality to rule among them in the wintry fortress of Khadassa. This selflessness is a crown virtue of the Dwarven race, and to have one as a friend is worth more than several lifetimes of fortune. Believing peace is a product of strength, the Dwarves seek not an empire, but to increase their mastery in smithing, the arcane as well as battle. Their compact form is rarely mistaken for lumbering stiffness, as their reputation in all types of conflict is widely established.”

These Dwarves have devoted their lives for generations to obtaining the knowledge to allow them to master smithing, the arcane as well as battle. This race would have developed a natural affinity towards these arts. There should be a natural affinity bonus when you choose to play this race as a crafter. Possibly by adding a bonus to their smithing capabilities. Possibly allowing the Dwarves the ability to magically imbue these items that they have created with certain bonuses.

I am a firm believer in natural and innate abilities especially when it comes to crafting. In my opinion, I feel that racial abilities should be included in Pantheon. How do you feel about adding Racial Abilities to races in Terminus?

• 62 posts
    June 1, 2018 2:14 PM PDT

Oh yes, definitely. I agree totally. The lore that has been written so far is a testament to how this game will feel. To have racial abilities not included in crafting seems to be a terrible wasted opportunity. You mentioned the dwarves, I'd like to see my Dark Myr be awesome fishers as they started out as underwater dwellers.

• 223 posts
    June 5, 2018 4:06 PM PDT

There should definitely be racial abilities, and not just for crafting. I personally would love to see gods added with bonuses to different allegiances.

• 259 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:10 AM PDT

Koala said:

Oh yes, definitely. I agree totally. The lore that has been written so far is a testament to how this game will feel. To have racial abilities not included in crafting seems to be a terrible wasted opportunity. You mentioned the dwarves, I'd like to see my Dark Myr be awesome fishers as they started out as underwater dwellers.

Yes, the Myr should have some type of bonus for their natural underwater ability. I can agree with that.

• 259 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:13 AM PDT

Yaladan said:

There should definitely be racial abilities, and not just for crafting. I personally would love to see gods added with bonuses to different allegiances.

While not crafting I like that idea.

There should be some type of reward for your allegiance to your deity. Something tangible.