Forums » The Ranger

Ranger Class Reveal

• 64 posts
    May 22, 2018 4:09 AM PDT

I think one of the advantages of a limited skillbar is that they can in fact get away with restricted skills - with limitless hotbar space you have the issue of 'half my skills don't work when I am in a dungeon and so I suck compared to others' whereas in a game where swapping skills out is common place, it means there is plenty of opportunity to have skill limitations because when in a dungeon you simply use a hotbar full of skills you can use rather than be stuck with a bunch you cannot, so you are always on 'equal footing' because you have the same number of skills fully available as anyone else. 

Regarding animals speficially, there may be animal spells that work in a dungeon and some that work outdoors

• 262 posts
    May 22, 2018 2:22 PM PDT

xaices said:

Flossie said:

I just want to thank Joppa for the amazing design of the ranger class. It was very relieving to see that the ranger will indeed not be a pet class, and has a lot of ranged ability (slightly more than melee it seems, based on the abilities). So again, thank you Joppa for making this class feel unique!

Rangers rejoice, we can breathe again. :)

According to a video interview IIRC the Ranger is primarily melee based and the range portion is nothing more than Disengage/Reengage high burst low sustain. The meat and potatoes of Ranger gameplay is Melee based with intermittent ranged attacks for burst damage.   If I understand correctly the Ranger is going to be constantly transitioning from melee (majority) to ranged (minority) and back again to maximize dps. Also according to the Interview, the Ranger is a pet class, the pet is somewhat pivotal to Ranger combat.  "Animal Affinity side... also how they do their damage and how they control things and manuever." -Perkins

Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vebn1AN6KY&feature=youtu.be Time Stamp 30:31

I'm basing my statement off what is available in the class reveal, there seems to be more ranged abilities than there are melee abilities, and the ranger is definitely not a pet class like the summoner or WoW hunter. They have some dumbfire pets, and some animal based utility, but no permanent pet.

This post was edited by Flossie at May 22, 2018 2:25 PM PDT
    • 90 posts
    May 22, 2018 6:02 PM PDT

Defeneitly not a pet class, the pet's are just fancy animations for utility. I'm excited to see where this goes but I hope it's a great mix of both ranged and melee abilities!

• 101 posts
    May 29, 2018 9:58 AM PDT

I'm stoked. 'nuff said =)

• 1014 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:46 PM PDT

Guys, I realize it's not a standart "pet class". However having my action triggered by animal companions for numerous ones, even if they are just animations, is simply not how I enjoyed the idea of a ranger.

I was more about an ambivalent melee fighter, using martial prowess as much as nature (or elemental) magic. Here the deal include a lot of animal handling, making the character less self sufficient in lore, but dependant of animal help.

That's fine for who like or love it, I'm just not that in it !

• 44 posts
    May 31, 2018 1:43 AM PDT

I pretty much agree. There's bit much animal handling for my tastes; I like the ferret and such but would drastically prefer to be able to do my own melee attacks, or at least most of them - the resulting feeling is very different. And yeah, nature magic is sorely missed! 

• 81 posts
    June 10, 2018 2:56 PM PDT

I'm usually a rogue player, but if the ranger has both the traps, a scouting ferret (!), and special alarm arrows, i might actually consider playing it, based on the class reveals. Looks pretty fun.

This post was edited by Gideon at June 10, 2018 2:57 PM PDT
    • 419 posts
    June 27, 2018 2:58 PM PDT

I have played rangers in all games that had them and am a bit disappointed by this one .

No dual wield (apparently)

Very few ranged skills out of which 2 (Harpoon and warning) look useless . How efficient are his ranged DPS remains to be seen (it was a joke in EQ in the first expansions)

No melee skills  bringing variety in DPS . The only melee skill is a cast interrupt . As ranger is chain mail only, I hope he doesn't generate too much aggro because I miss general anti aggro abilities (only a limited 1 for animals)

The spells shown don't look very enthousiasming but I guess these are only a sample from level 1 to 10 and there will be more and better diversity on higher levels .

Everywhere is mentionned "for a short time" . All depends what is a short time - if it is 1 or 2 minutes it is OK but if it is 5 or 10 seconds it isn't OK .

On the positive side is that I find the traditional and class defining features - tracking and foraging .

Clearly it is not a pet class - I don't know if it is a good or bad thing . On one hand a ranger like a druid should be able to have permanent animal pets because nature and wildlife are his business but on the other hand there are already so many pet classes in MMORPGs that it would probably not be a bright idea to add yet another one .

• 1014 posts
    June 27, 2018 3:16 PM PDT

Deadshade said:

I have played rangers in all games that had them and am a bit disappointed by this one .

Very few ranged skills out of which 2 (Harpoon and warning) look useless . How efficient are his ranged DPS remains to be seen (it was a joke in EQ in the first expansions)

No melee skills  bringing variety in DPS . The only melee skill is a cast interrupt . As ranger is chain mail only, I hope he doesn't generate too much aggro because I miss general anti aggro abilities (only a limited 1 for animals)

The spells shown don't look very enthousiasming but I guess these are only a sample from level 1 to 10 and there will be more and better diversity on higher levels .

Everywhere is mentionned "for a short time" . All depends what is a short time - if it is 1 or 2 minutes it is OK but if it is 5 or 10 seconds it isn't OK .

On the positive side is that I find the traditional and class defining features - tracking and foraging .

Clearly it is not a pet class - I don't know if it is a good or bad thing . On one hand a ranger like a druid should be able to have permanent animal pets because nature and wildlife are his business but on the other hand there are already so many pet classes in MMORPGs that it would probably not be a bright idea to add yet another one .

That's not what I understood. What I did read was that they would only use one hander, and thus dual wielding by default. Unfortunately I loved the possibility to play with a two handed weapon on a ranger, but well, we can't have everything.

• 64 posts
    July 3, 2018 4:32 AM PDT

Deadshade said:

They can dual wield.  It lists weapons, not combat style - Rogues can Dual Wield but it is not stated they do so on their reveal either. 

We know the Ranger is melee focused, so there will be a lot of skills for that.  One they revealed is an excellent one - damage and spell interrupt is fantastic (also note its description - Unleash a flurry of attacks with bothweapons...so some reassurance that Ranger dual wields)

Also both Beckon skills are melee ones in which you summon an animal to run by and smack the mob.  Seems like more variety than just another sword attack.  So, the Ranger in melee can: Interrupt, Knockdown and debuff.  Their final attack allows them to get some distance - helpful for kiting, or leading a mob to a trap or just getting away from a dangerous aoe. 

For Ranged attacks you have an aoe, a hard hitting opener and a hard hitting multishot at target.  That's an impressive array for such a small snippet of skills we are seeing.  That's just the damaging side of things.

Warning shot that you dismissed will be very helpful for patrols, I would be surprised if any EQ1 players never experienced the situation where they mistimed a patrol route/forgot about the patrol mid fight and things became disasterous when it aggro'd mid combat. A well placed shot will give early warning so group can either prepare for the add or move to keep out of aggro range.

Harpoon and Weighted Shot will both have their uses for positioning a mob/pulling it away or towards an area or trap, pushing it back towards the tank, or just helping the tank reposition a mob (some fights positioning is the key to success afterall).  Also...if these shots are moving the mob around - do they interrupt spellcasting?

Flare - sounds underwhelming, but if it means not needing to carry a torch instead of dual wield, that is quite the boon for a team.

Not being a pet class will have mixed responses, I personally do not like Rangers as a pet class - their affinity to animals has led to a trend of a pet which I am not a fan of...leave that to the Druids.

All in all I was impressed with the Ranger reveal, the limited skills shown has already revealed a lot more to them than simple DPS - animal mez, spell caster interrupts, battlefield positioning, tactical planning, ghetto cc via traps, debuffs and knockdowns (which will also interrupt spells).  Looks like the Swiss Army knife of the party

• 162 posts
    July 15, 2018 2:35 AM PDT

Personally I'm mixed on the class reveal, I like the tracking and forage stuff, but I feel the beckon stuff is just dancing around the idea of having pets without any connection to the animals, since their just animations. Now if we had to tame each creature type before being ably to use an ability, say using Kaylen's Command, then I could see it feeling less like an animation, and more like a friend coming to aid me.

• 101 posts
    July 16, 2018 10:35 AM PDT

Ranger sounds like its very very strong in the utility role.. ranger is the only class to track, plus it can CC with root and 'mez' with Kaylens command.. I dont know about everyone else but I always want a ranger in my group.

This post was edited by Defector at July 16, 2018 11:16 AM PDT
    • 1 posts
    July 26, 2018 12:23 PM PDT

all i know is from what i saw, i wet myself a little

• 3 posts
    August 5, 2018 11:13 AM PDT

Radamus said:

I'm stoked. 'nuff said =)

Exactly.

• 26 posts
    August 6, 2018 9:37 PM PDT

I think the ranger animal/pet abilities need work still. Seeing them in game just doesn't feel right. 

• 19 posts
    August 10, 2018 1:33 PM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

Personally I'm mixed on the class reveal, I like the tracking and forage stuff, but I feel the beckon stuff is just dancing around the idea of having pets without any connection to the animals, since their just animations. Now if we had to tame each creature type before being ably to use an ability, say using Kaylen's Command, then I could see it feeling less like an animation, and more like a friend coming to aid me.

Interesting idea - kind of pull some of Ark's mechanics into this and give quests or something along those lines for pets if classes want them?? As rediculas as it is to think of rangers as "archers" its even more so with the pet notion.... That aside I was not thrilled with what I saw of the Ranger class so I will have to go back and rewatch. All I really noticed was him shooting a bow which - is absolutly NOT what a ranger is about. If this class is going to be ranged combat heavy - lets ditch the Ranger name and call them what they are - Archers. 

Rangers skill sets should not be weapon specific and if they are they should have options for up close or distance and no, up close does not mean Drizzet only... If I want to roll a 2 handed axe wielding ranger it should be a viable option. Now if you want to spec out specific roles that is another story.

Anyway cant wait to get into Alpha and help them figure this class out!

This post was edited by Sabatour at August 10, 2018 1:33 PM PDT
    • 1014 posts
    August 10, 2018 5:12 PM PDT

Sabatour said:

HemlockReaper said:

Interesting idea - kind of pull some of Ark's mechanics into this and give quests or something along those lines for pets if classes want them?? As rediculas as it is to think of rangers as "archers" its even more so with the pet notion.... That aside I was not thrilled with what I saw of the Ranger class so I will have to go back and rewatch. All I really noticed was him shooting a bow which - is absolutly NOT what a ranger is about. If this class is going to be ranged combat heavy - lets ditch the Ranger name and call them what they are - Archers. 

Rangers skill sets should not be weapon specific and if they are they should have options for up close or distance and no, up close does not mean Drizzet only... If I want to roll a 2 handed axe wielding ranger it should be a viable option. Now if you want to spec out specific roles that is another story.

They stated the ranger was aimed to leap back and forth from melee to range, beeing an archer and a fighter. I miss the option of two handed weapons on them, and rely shy to the beckon animals that seem out of purpose in areas unfitted for wildlife, or hinting the ranger is carrying a menagerie.

• 19 posts
    August 11, 2018 9:22 AM PDT

Sabatour said:

The more I read on the Pre Alpha roadmap the more I think sadly we wont have much say in things as Pre Alpha seems to be where most of the work is - looking like Alpha and Beta are going to be more like what recent companies do with Beta - really just a sneak peak to sell copies.. Hope thats not the case but its looking that way. 

• 3721 posts
    August 12, 2018 3:34 PM PDT

Sabatour said:

Sabatour said:

The more I read on the Pre Alpha roadmap the more I think sadly we wont have much say in things as Pre Alpha seems to be where most of the work is - looking like Alpha and Beta are going to be more like what recent companies do with Beta - really just a sneak peak to sell copies.. Hope thats not the case but its looking that way. 

I don't think so. They've always been very clear that Pre-Alpha through Beta will not be what the industry makes them out to be these days. They are very real testing phases and there will be a complete server wipe at the end of Beta. Judging by Ben Dean's article in the last newsletter, this is how I look at it: Pre-Alpha is indeed a lot of work and critical for the longterm success of the game, but they've said Pre-Alpha is for getting the "core" game of Pantheon in place. That doesn't mean it'll be ready to take the genre by storm. It almost certainly won't be balanced or unique enough (some may say similar to EQ with better graphics at this point), but it'll be a solid foundation on which to build. So I expect that during Alpha, we will really start to see more systems fleshed out that set Pantheon apart from other MMOs, such as crafting, perception, climate, atmospheres, etc. and additional layers of combat to make it more dynamic and strategic such as ambient mobs, "devastating abilities," etc. Plus there are some things that simply require more people in game to test, the biggest of which is raiding. This includes how big raids should be, whether raid mobs flee when overwhelmed with hundreds of zergers, etc. Endgame is one of the most hotly debated topics in Pantheon and I suspect Alpha will be when they really dig into it, because you need a lot more people to test that on a large scale. Hopefully by Beta, it will start to feel more like a launchable game, although with many more thousands of testers in game, there will still be (among other things) important work to be done to determine how many servers there should be and what the ideal population is for each server - small enough so that your reputation matters, yet large enough so that it's not desolate. This is actually an extremely important aspect of the game and our feedback on this will be critical.

• 76 posts
    August 26, 2018 11:38 AM PDT

Ranger needs the most work of all the classes we have seen it does not look like its finished i understand were in development it appears behind the other classes from a visual perspective..

Protectiles going through the mob appearing to have no impact is not normal.

As someone who practices archery often  a arrow hits with a great amount of force and kinetic energy its not shown on impact ingame. 

Most arrows do not fully go through a target in real life some do but not all.

Perhaps vr is having the issue of arrows disappearing if stuck in the mob which i can understand going through might appear better im sure it was probably tested both ways. . Still the lack of impact is not visualy pleasing to the human eye and not normal. It would be good to have say poison arrows have a green glow on impact or fire arrows have a orange glow on impact.  A type of blast effect is needed on normal arrow impact perhaps more visable as you gain a higher level.

If you shoot something with a projectile it will force a  outward pulse upon impact and exit if it does exit the target.

Velocity does play a part i would assume velocity would be low for a low level that does not yet have the skill or strengh. 

Anything shooting a fps fast enough to go through a target is going to have a violent visible impact. 

Vr could really make the ranger much more pleasing to the human eye.

Wizard for example it shows the impact of the spell when it hits the target it looks natural and the player feels like they have done something that has a visual impact on the mob is much more satisfying.

This post was edited by Kiera at August 26, 2018 12:20 PM PDT
    • 1014 posts
    August 26, 2018 12:41 PM PDT

Animations are yet placeholder. Don't focus on the visual but on the skill balance, power, and synergy.

• 98 posts
    August 27, 2018 5:08 AM PDT

Nothing is anywhere near finished. What they are showing us now is the skeleton of the game so to speak. Like Bazgrim said, it's the foundation and nowhere near beta, let alone release. I wouldn't worry about appearances too much yet. I suspect there will be a ton of stuff changed visually as time goes on. View what we see now as a small appetizer. :)

• 35 posts
    August 28, 2018 7:23 AM PDT

In one of the streams panthras and thunderpaw just kind of appear, slap around the mob, then disappear. I think they should parachute in and then ninja smoke bomb out. Just sayin ;)

• 1014 posts
    August 28, 2018 7:31 AM PDT

Bradley said:

In one of the streams panthras and thunderpaw just kind of appear, slap around the mob, then disappear. I think they should parachute in and then ninja smoke bomb out. Just sayin ;)

Why having players anymore if we get bear ninjas ? Who could even hope to stop them ?