Forums » Pantheon Classes

Spells Divided by Class and Level+Class

• 19 posts
    April 29, 2018 3:45 PM PDT

In EQ, spells would become available to the various classes at different levels. For example while "Gate" might be accessible to a pure caster at level 8, it might not be available to a hybrid until level 22 (just for example - numbers may not be accurate). 

Will Pantheon feature this nuanced spell/level divide? 

I really like it, it makes you feel special when you get something sooner than another class. 

• 1479 posts
    April 29, 2018 4:16 PM PDT

I don't know if spells will be cross classes as they used to be in EQ, hard to tell for now. It was especially true for hybrids, special mension to their late coming heals or pets that made them quite useless :P.

• 31 posts
    April 30, 2018 8:37 AM PDT

I'd be surprised if "hybrids" are a thing at all, in the sense of classes getting a subset of abilities from a caster class as their only repetoire.  If you meant classes that use both endurance/stamina as well as mana, I imagine you'll see some of this, but much less than EQ - instead favoring spells more customized per-class.  This is a trend that started in EQ expansions, and was nearly the entire design mechanism in Vanguard (Paladins and Clerics shared some heals).

• 1860 posts
    April 30, 2018 8:48 AM PDT

I expect certain spells to be cross class.  We have seen a Shaman cast breeze (unsure if that will make it in release of course, I'm doubtful).  I can almost guarantee we see some standard spells be used by multiple classes.  Things like invis or levitate or bind or gate come to mind.

This post was edited by philo at April 30, 2018 9:13 AM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    April 30, 2018 9:26 AM PDT

xilith said:

I'd be surprised if "hybrids" are a thing at all, in the sense of classes getting a subset of abilities from a caster class as their only repetoire.  If you meant classes that use both endurance/stamina as well as mana, I imagine you'll see some of this, but much less than EQ - instead favoring spells more customized per-class.  This is a trend that started in EQ expansions, and was nearly the entire design mechanism in Vanguard (Paladins and Clerics shared some heals).

What I call hybrids, is simply classes using both physical and magical attacks tied with an auto attack system. Due to this, their spells ends up weaker than their non auto attacking counterpart, and the fact their use of magic is lower than a pure caster. I excpect paladins and rangers to get some healing spells, but I don't want them to be as strong as a healer, neither as useable as. Either it will be a weak heal that has to be spammed to lessen downtime, or maybe more a heal on an average cooldown or tied to a high cost that only allow them to punch some life every few minutes.

• 2886 posts
    April 30, 2018 9:41 AM PDT

xilith said:

This definitely seems to be the direction that Chris is taking. He tries to avoid the term "hybrid," and instead looks at each class as their own entity. Yes, there will naturally be some overlap, but not a lot of just "you get the same exact spells, just later." This is a part of EQ that can be improved upon with some creativity. An example would be the variety of ways that healers will be able to resurrect in Pantheon. It won't just be a single Resurrection spell that Clerics get at 19 and Druids and Shamans get at 23 or whatever. The plan is for each class to have unique methods and requirements of resurrection, so that they each maintain their own individual flavor, while still accomplishing a similar end result.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 30, 2018 9:43 AM PDT