Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Are we going to be able hide Armor pieces

• 1479 posts
    April 20, 2018 5:06 AM PDT

@disposalist

I think Eq's inspect didn't give statistics of the item, right ? Only a name.

• 2756 posts
    April 20, 2018 5:24 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

@disposalist

Hehe always an issue when 'remembering' and having played dozens of MMORPGs.

But if you get the name, it's easy enough to just look it up in a Wiki (these days) and even way back when, people knew the stats of everything from even acronyms.

• 441 posts
    April 20, 2018 9:05 AM PDT

I think a /hide all would be a bad idea. Where gear will be iconic like EQ1. Seeing what the person was wearning told a story. IMO they do need to do hide helm as to date I have never seen a helm I liked more then seeing my avatars face. In RP it kill it for me being forced to court a lady while talking through a helm. Last thing I want to see is teams of people running dungeon seemingly naked. 

• 769 posts
    April 20, 2018 9:59 AM PDT

The inspection dilemma is a pretty interesting parallel to our current political environment. The idea that since I don't understand why a person is offended by something, it means it's not offensive. The trend with wanting to be "politically incorrect". 

While I also don't understand why people have a problem with being inspected, that doesn't mean I won't respect and try to accommodate those feelings. In EQ, I would feel proud any time somebody inspected me - yet, when I inspected somebody else, I always asked first. It's not that hard, and in the grand scheme of things, not asking a lot.

Just because you don't understand how a thing is a problem to other people doesn't mean it's NOT a problem. I'm all for toggling inspection on and off for those who have a problem with random inspections by strangers. 

• 39 posts
    April 22, 2018 12:28 PM PDT

i really dont understand you guys and inspect. Its literally a non issue in game. 10 years playing eq on a PVP server no less and it was never a problem

• 39 posts
    April 22, 2018 12:30 PM PDT

Traylan sure but when people's justification for not wanting it are pretty bad arguments about worrying about others micromanaging you (which are people you wouldnt want to play with anyways) its not a good reason. privacy? what privacy? of your armor on an online game.... really? i mean seriously come on.... the arguments for no inspection are all pretty weak and come from people who probabbly have facebbook so worrying about privacy is a weak argument as well

• 1479 posts
    April 22, 2018 1:19 PM PDT

disposalist said:

MauvaisOeil said:

@disposalist

Hehe always an issue when 'remembering' and having played dozens of MMORPGs.

But if you get the name, it's easy enough to just look it up in a Wiki (these days) and even way back when, people knew the stats of everything from even acronyms.

The same can be done with the color / design scheme of an item, you don't need the name to recognize the stuff and get the stats. In fact, making things as the simpliest, except if you totally hide gear appearance, you will know whatever you need by simply looking at it.

However, this, like your own example, are over simplification. As long as no statistic is written on the item with inspection, there will be layers between the moment of observation and the moment where all stats will be known. Layers are enough to make it balanced, because not everyone will search for the item's stats. Not everyone will know them by heart, and whatever you do, the most extrême and invested people will know what you wear, beeing it named or just by appearance.

• 3237 posts
    April 22, 2018 2:11 PM PDT

Squall said:

Traylan sure but when people's justification for not wanting it are pretty bad arguments about worrying about others micromanaging you (which are people you wouldnt want to play with anyways) its not a good reason. privacy? what privacy? of your armor on an online game.... really? i mean seriously come on.... the arguments for no inspection are all pretty weak and come from people who probabbly have facebbook so worrying about privacy is a weak argument as well

You say the arguments are weak, but let me shine a light on some quotes from Kilsin when this topic came up in the past:

"I actually like having /anon to protect me from prying eyes mainly on my alts, as my gear doesn't determine my ability to control my character and I would rather be judged by my performance in groups, raids and interaction than by what random drops my characters have picked up and slapped on, if someone stopped you in the street and started removing your coat and putting their hands in your pockets to check what you had on you, I am sure you would have something to say about it, some people feel the same way in game, so allowing a toggle to block prying eyes is fine in my opinion, for those who don't care, they can peak and inspect all they like. ;)"

"Either way, it is a personal preference and again, having the ability to block prying eyes is something a lot of people like, myself included, if I don't want anyone looking at my gear, I should be able to turn that feature off no matter what my reasons are for it, it's my gear, my stats, my character, if someone tries to inspect me and it says, this person has private mode turned on, then bad luck lol

If that gets me kicked from groups then so be it, they will miss out on an experienced player who wants to have a bit of character privacy and be judged on their actions/interactions, not their gear and stats. :)

Funny enough, this is coming from a guild and raid leader who found it annoying to ask people to turn /anon off in VG so I could check gear to make sure we had enough dps and healing power to take down some top tier targets for the Reverence PUG that I used to host with my guild but it never resulted in people getting kicked or failing attempts so it really isn't a big deal."

"Well that will just come down to the social interactions, group play and nature of our community, you folks can choose to reject someone based on their gear, or help them run through a dungeon with the possibility of getting better gear, no one will start out max level in uber gear, everyone will need help from others whether it be complete strangers, friends, guild members etc. so I really wouldn;t worry about that, it would be the minority and not an overwhelming issue in my opinion.

Not being able to see little things like rings that give the smallest stat boost possible should never be the deciding factor in who gets a group position over someone else unless you are at the bleeding edge of high-end raiding and struggling on a progression target where every single % and point of stats and dps counts, that again will be the very small minority, not a general issue for everyone to worry about. :)"

"We will have databases full of this information logged in item values, groups, sets, percentages, level ranges etc. so we will know what items compete with others and in what areas and what level ranges etc. so it won't be a problem for us to track and monitor itemization balance for the most part if we log it all properly but /inspect will still be a thing as seeing someone's chest plate that you have never seen before will probably interest you and make you want to /inspect to find out its stats, especially if it is crafted and has maybe been upgraded and if that player has their /inspect turned on then awesome, peak away, if not you will have to strike up a conversation with them and ask nicely, which is what we want to happen, any chance to promote actual player interaction is only going to help the community and the game. :)"

"Absolutely and maybe we won't be able to make everything unique, we will certainly try but some maybe be variants of other items or copies with slightly different stats/graphics etc. but the point I was trying to make is that people in this thread seem to be on one side or the other and there is no need to take sides on a topic like this, it won't be a big issue if you can't see someone else's gear, it will either promote interaction or leave you wondering what it could be, if they have /inspect turned off, either way, it won't affect your gameplay or success completing a dungeon, if there is ever an issue it will be the minority and not a common issue, as I said, we had both /inspect and /anon in VG and it didn't change anything, it just promoted interaction if they had /anon on and you wanted to see what gear/weapons they had, usually they would be happy to talk to you and show their shiny stuff off but if they said no or didn't reply then so be it, you would carry on about your business without any issues. ;)"

"Whether they are visible or not it doesn't really matter, we will have /inspect and probably a way to disable it for those who don't want to be inspected and it will have absolutely minimal impact on the game and everyone's gaming experience, it will promote interactions and spark conversations and it will not be as big of a problem as some people think."

If you want to see what gear someone is wearing while they have their gear hidden, you ask them.  If they decline, too bad, get over it.  I seriously can't understand why someone would get upset about not being able to inspect the gear of another player.  A toggle solves all issues so let that be the compromise and move on.  I very rarely use Facebook but last I heard (amid the massive privacy dilemma that's going on between FB and the Supreme Court right now) is that everybody has the option for privacy.  If you want people to be able to see your pictures and timeline, there are permissions for that.  If you want to keep everything private, that is a completely reasonable position as well.  At the end of the day, this is a non-issue.  If you don't want to play with someone who won't link their gear, more power to you.  If someone refuses to play with you because you demand to see their gear when they otherwise want to keep it hidden, more power to them.

This post was edited by oneADseven at April 22, 2018 2:24 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    April 22, 2018 6:07 PM PDT

I sure hope not. If you don't want a piece of armor visible, take it off, problem solved without developers lifting a finger.

If they add an option to make a piece invisible at least give the ability to us that want to see everything a way to force seeing it in our screen. I don't want a bunch of helmetless (or armorless) players running around on my screen.

If someone is wearing something, I want to see it.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at April 22, 2018 6:12 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    April 22, 2018 7:16 PM PDT

I like the option of a toggle for others to /inspect or not, and the whole "If I want to see the real stuff you're wearing, I can toggle that on my client".  Seems to solve all the issues everyone has.

As far as slot visibility, I hope they have options to toggle them all, so if I want to see my hands, feet, head, whatever, I can.  Don't see why it would matter in the slightest if I want my appearance slots to be "invisible" or "clear" or "emperors new clothes", others can still see what I'm wearing really if they want to toggle that visibility on their client.

• 1479 posts
    April 22, 2018 11:00 PM PDT

vjek said:

I like the option of a toggle for others to /inspect or not, and the whole "If I want to see the real stuff you're wearing, I can toggle that on my client".  Seems to solve all the issues everyone has.

As far as slot visibility, I hope they have options to toggle them all, so if I want to see my hands, feet, head, whatever, I can.  Don't see why it would matter in the slightest if I want my appearance slots to be "invisible" or "clear" or "emperors new clothes", others can still see what I'm wearing really if they want to toggle that visibility on their client.

It's becoming the "obvious solution" for every problem on this forum for now, "make it an option you can toggle".

I do not think it is a solution at all, as making the game something uniform from player to player is to me, the only way to share and build things on a common scale. Everything can't be an option, or the game itself will just be a bunch of options here and there.

• 3237 posts
    April 22, 2018 11:41 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

vjek said:

It's becoming the "obvious solution" for every problem on this forum for now, "make it an option you can toggle".

I do not think it is a solution at all, as making the game something uniform from player to player is to me, the only way to share and build things on a common scale. Everything can't be an option, or the game itself will just be a bunch of options here and there.

An open world fantasy game (emphasis on world) filled with options, you say?  Sounds awesome.  The last thing I want is a common scale uniform when it comes to my character identity.

This post was edited by oneADseven at April 22, 2018 11:44 PM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    April 23, 2018 12:46 AM PDT

Pretty much not what I said, but feel free to use it otherwise :P .

• 39 posts
    April 23, 2018 1:49 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

Squall said:

You say the arguments are weak, but let me shine a light on some quotes from Kilsin when this topic came up in the past:

"I actually like having /anon to protect me from prying eyes mainly on my alts, as my gear doesn't determine my ability to control my character and I would rather be judged by my performance in groups, raids and interaction than by what random drops my characters have picked up and slapped on, if someone stopped you in the street and started removing your coat and putting their hands in your pockets to check what you had on you, I am sure you would have something to say about it, some people feel the same way in game, so allowing a toggle to block prying eyes is fine in my opinion, for those who don't care, they can peak and inspect all they like. ;)"

"Either way, it is a personal preference and again, having the ability to block prying eyes is something a lot of people like, myself included, if I don't want anyone looking at my gear, I should be able to turn that feature off no matter what my reasons are for it, it's my gear, my stats, my character, if someone tries to inspect me and it says, this person has private mode turned on, then bad luck lol

If that gets me kicked from groups then so be it, they will miss out on an experienced player who wants to have a bit of character privacy and be judged on their actions/interactions, not their gear and stats. :)

Funny enough, this is coming from a guild and raid leader who found it annoying to ask people to turn /anon off in VG so I could check gear to make sure we had enough dps and healing power to take down some top tier targets for the Reverence PUG that I used to host with my guild but it never resulted in people getting kicked or failing attempts so it really isn't a big deal."

"Well that will just come down to the social interactions, group play and nature of our community, you folks can choose to reject someone based on their gear, or help them run through a dungeon with the possibility of getting better gear, no one will start out max level in uber gear, everyone will need help from others whether it be complete strangers, friends, guild members etc. so I really wouldn;t worry about that, it would be the minority and not an overwhelming issue in my opinion.

Not being able to see little things like rings that give the smallest stat boost possible should never be the deciding factor in who gets a group position over someone else unless you are at the bleeding edge of high-end raiding and struggling on a progression target where every single % and point of stats and dps counts, that again will be the very small minority, not a general issue for everyone to worry about. :)"

"We will have databases full of this information logged in item values, groups, sets, percentages, level ranges etc. so we will know what items compete with others and in what areas and what level ranges etc. so it won't be a problem for us to track and monitor itemization balance for the most part if we log it all properly but /inspect will still be a thing as seeing someone's chest plate that you have never seen before will probably interest you and make you want to /inspect to find out its stats, especially if it is crafted and has maybe been upgraded and if that player has their /inspect turned on then awesome, peak away, if not you will have to strike up a conversation with them and ask nicely, which is what we want to happen, any chance to promote actual player interaction is only going to help the community and the game. :)"

"Absolutely and maybe we won't be able to make everything unique, we will certainly try but some maybe be variants of other items or copies with slightly different stats/graphics etc. but the point I was trying to make is that people in this thread seem to be on one side or the other and there is no need to take sides on a topic like this, it won't be a big issue if you can't see someone else's gear, it will either promote interaction or leave you wondering what it could be, if they have /inspect turned off, either way, it won't affect your gameplay or success completing a dungeon, if there is ever an issue it will be the minority and not a common issue, as I said, we had both /inspect and /anon in VG and it didn't change anything, it just promoted interaction if they had /anon on and you wanted to see what gear/weapons they had, usually they would be happy to talk to you and show their shiny stuff off but if they said no or didn't reply then so be it, you would carry on about your business without any issues. ;)"

"Whether they are visible or not it doesn't really matter, we will have /inspect and probably a way to disable it for those who don't want to be inspected and it will have absolutely minimal impact on the game and everyone's gaming experience, it will promote interactions and spark conversations and it will not be as big of a problem as some people think."

If you want to see what gear someone is wearing while they have their gear hidden, you ask them.  If they decline, too bad, get over it.  I seriously can't understand why someone would get upset about not being able to inspect the gear of another player.  A toggle solves all issues so let that be the compromise and move on.  I very rarely use Facebook but last I heard (amid the massive privacy dilemma that's going on between FB and the Supreme Court right now) is that everybody has the option for privacy.  If you want people to be able to see your pictures and timeline, there are permissions for that.  If you want to keep everything private, that is a completely reasonable position as well.  At the end of the day, this is a non-issue.  If you don't want to play with someone who won't link their gear, more power to you.  If someone refuses to play with you because you demand to see their gear when they otherwise want to keep it hidden, more power to them.

A: im not upset about not bbeing able to inspect (i really dont care)
    B: Kilsin didnt really give arguments for why /inspect bbeing open like eq is a abd thing.

C: ya you didnt understand the facebook comparison (because i was distinguishing it)

D: Youre worried abbout items in a game where no one really gives a damn. i mean more power to you i guess but i think its a pretty hilarious thing to be upset about (people inspecting you that is)

E: inspecting someone isnt the same as linking gear. 

and finally F: ya i dont understand why people are up in arms about being inspected. Honestly its such a non issue and was a non issue in everquest for 19 years that i find it laughable there are multiple threads in these forums on the subject.

Oh ya theres no demand. you just right click on someone and can see the item name and not necessarily stats. sounds like people are worried they will be seen as weak because of their gear. well.... they are they arent. seriously all this about "omgz noz dontz inspectz mez" put against building a community of people you want to play with is ironic from the community.

And sorry about being an ass i get tired of repeating myself over and over.

• 2756 posts
    April 23, 2018 3:03 AM PDT

There appear to be folks that admit they don't get it, but still insist you're wrong.  If anything is difficult to understand; *that* is.

My reasoning comes more from a look-and-feel and a role-playing aspect, which surely, as we all enjoy role-playing games, we will all be understandable?

Actually I already know the answer is "no" because different people play RPGs for different reasons. We all know that some love to see the armor because to them it's all a competition and wanting to be 'best' and 'first'. We all know that some love to see the armor because it's all about being impressed and/or impressive.

Well, as much as I know and understand those types (and know there are other types) I don't feel that way and I know a lot of other people don't either.  For some, like me, it is almost the opposite.  I do not want my armor to brag for me - I actually prefer to be known by my words and actions even if that results in less friends, I think it results in better friends.  I mostly prefer to be subtle and even secretive in my look which is why I not only want to be able to hide some armor pieces when they are ostentatious or don't match my vision of my character, I want to be able to disguise them, even if that means consuming items I could have sold in order to 'keep' their cosmetic look.

If I want my Shoulder Pads of Holy Glowing Aspect to be hidden, what does it matter to you?  If I want my Longsword of Fiery Flaming Flames to look like my previous Longsword of Subtle Sharpness, what do you care?  I earned them both and I'd even be ok if the fiery explosion proc was still visible, from a 'realism' point of view, but when someone views my character I don't want to be sporting swords that might set me or them alight at any moment.  I don't want to look like an angel has alighted on my shoulders.  I don't want my face to be hidden in a helm.  I certainly don't want to be clicking away at several armor pieces and bags every time I'm wanting to look what I consider less comical.  I doubly don't want to have to avoid an armor upgrade because I think it looks terrible.

In fantasy cinema, you don't get heros sporting dozens of weird and wonderful magicks and there's good reason for that.  It looks silly to most people.  As fantasy gamers, we've become much more used to it and, of course, because we all love the loot from a power/ability/fun point of view, but some of us still want the more serious, subtle high fantasy look, ideally.  Gandalf had a simple robe and his staff did not trail fairy fire.  His crumpled hat was even on the battered and well-worn end of ridiculous.  If he'd wandered into Hobbiton sporting glowing rings, glittering diamond necklaces, huge embroidered shoulderpads, shiny golden boots and sparkling wands, the timid little folks would have hidden for a month or maybe the brave ones would have laughed him out of town.

How my character looks is (and should be) the first impression and a very important indicator, consciously or subconsciously, of the kind of character it is.  My role played out visually.

When someone looks at my character, I want them to see what I want them to see, not mis-interpret some ridiculous bling; not be reduced to some kind of list of encounters I've done and certainly not just  be seen as a list of platinum piece purchases (because, if Pantheon is anything like EQ, throughout most of my adventuring career most of my gear will have been bought).

In real life, I am not a particularly secretive person, but I like my privacy.  In role-playing games, I much prefer some mystery and for people to talk to me and not assume.  If they are the kind of people that do judge by your looks, which I know happens, then I want my look to be subtle and muted, not give them much to go on and certainly not unintentionally give the wrong impression. If I do want to portray a distinct look, I want to pick a particular look and not have a confusing mish-mash.

In real life I am not ostentacious.  I don't sport bling and carry expensive accessories.  I don't wear expensive designer clothes or flashy eye-catching outfits.  I appreciate that some like to be different in games.  In this regard, I do not.  That over-the-top self-expression still feels 'off' to me and I wouldn't want my characters to be like that.

Or maybe I want one of my alts to be a flashy exibitionist for a change.  If I do for some reason, I want it to be my *choice* even if I have to go to some effort to achieve that choice (like consuming otherwise saleable items, as I suggested above).

Having said all that, please don't misunderstand a lengthy explanation as a emotional tirade.  As with any issue, I'm just discussing here and giving my opinion and am happy to type away at length to do so.  It would be nice if everyone else managed to just discuss and opine and not suggest others are dumb for having an opinion they disagree with or even don't understand.

Perhaps ironically, I don't understand how people can *not* understand, but I'm not going to imply you're stupid, I'll just try another way of explaining ;^)

This post was edited by disposalist at April 23, 2018 3:04 AM PDT
    • 39 posts
    April 23, 2018 2:00 PM PDT

disposalist said:

There appear to be folks that admit they don't get it, but still insist you're wrong.  If anything is difficult to understand; *that* is.

My reasoning comes more from a look-and-feel and a role-playing aspect, which surely, as we all enjoy role-playing games, we will all be understandable?

Actually I already know the answer is "no" because different people play RPGs for different reasons. We all know that some love to see the armor because to them it's all a competition and wanting to be 'best' and 'first'. We all know that some love to see the armor because it's all about being impressed and/or impressive.

Well, as much as I know and understand those types (and know there are other types) I don't feel that way and I know a lot of other people don't either.  For some, like me, it is almost the opposite.  I do not want my armor to brag for me - I actually prefer to be known by my words and actions even if that results in less friends, I think it results in better friends.  I mostly prefer to be subtle and even secretive in my look which is why I not only want to be able to hide some armor pieces when they are ostentatious or don't match my vision of my character, I want to be able to disguise them, even if that means consuming items I could have sold in order to 'keep' their cosmetic look.

If I want my Shoulder Pads of Holy Glowing Aspect to be hidden, what does it matter to you?  If I want my Longsword of Fiery Flaming Flames to look like my previous Longsword of Subtle Sharpness, what do you care?  I earned them both and I'd even be ok if the fiery explosion proc was still visible, from a 'realism' point of view, but when someone views my character I don't want to be sporting swords that might set me or them alight at any moment.  I don't want to look like an angel has alighted on my shoulders.  I don't want my face to be hidden in a helm.  I certainly don't want to be clicking away at several armor pieces and bags every time I'm wanting to look what I consider less comical.  I doubly don't want to have to avoid an armor upgrade because I think it looks terrible.

In fantasy cinema, you don't get heros sporting dozens of weird and wonderful magicks and there's good reason for that.  It looks silly to most people.  As fantasy gamers, we've become much more used to it and, of course, because we all love the loot from a power/ability/fun point of view, but some of us still want the more serious, subtle high fantasy look, ideally.  Gandalf had a simple robe and his staff did not trail fairy fire.  His crumpled hat was even on the battered and well-worn end of ridiculous.  If he'd wandered into Hobbiton sporting glowing rings, glittering diamond necklaces, huge embroidered shoulderpads, shiny golden boots and sparkling wands, the timid little folks would have hidden for a month or maybe the brave ones would have laughed him out of town.

How my character looks is (and should be) the first impression and a very important indicator, consciously or subconsciously, of the kind of character it is.  My role played out visually.

When someone looks at my character, I want them to see what I want them to see, not mis-interpret some ridiculous bling; not be reduced to some kind of list of encounters I've done and certainly not just  be seen as a list of platinum piece purchases (because, if Pantheon is anything like EQ, throughout most of my adventuring career most of my gear will have been bought).

In real life, I am not a particularly secretive person, but I like my privacy.  In role-playing games, I much prefer some mystery and for people to talk to me and not assume.  If they are the kind of people that do judge by your looks, which I know happens, then I want my look to be subtle and muted, not give them much to go on and certainly not unintentionally give the wrong impression. If I do want to portray a distinct look, I want to pick a particular look and not have a confusing mish-mash.

In real life I am not ostentacious.  I don't sport bling and carry expensive accessories.  I don't wear expensive designer clothes or flashy eye-catching outfits.  I appreciate that some like to be different in games.  In this regard, I do not.  That over-the-top self-expression still feels 'off' to me and I wouldn't want my characters to be like that.

Or maybe I want one of my alts to be a flashy exibitionist for a change.  If I do for some reason, I want it to be my *choice* even if I have to go to some effort to achieve that choice (like consuming otherwise saleable items, as I suggested above).

Having said all that, please don't misunderstand a lengthy explanation as a emotional tirade.  As with any issue, I'm just discussing here and giving my opinion and am happy to type away at length to do so.  It would be nice if everyone else managed to just discuss and opine and not suggest others are dumb for having an opinion they disagree with or even don't understand.

Perhaps ironically, I don't understand how people can *not* understand, but I'm not going to imply you're stupid, I'll just try another way of explaining ;^)

See now this answer ACTUALLY makes sense and speaks more to the fact that its a matter of personal preference.

All of this being said, i think you idea of competition might be a bit unfounded. Think of how pantheon works with newbies and high levels leveling in the same zone. Newbie sees some awesome armor on high level. High level doesnt talk to newb because hes a high level. Newb just wants to see what it is so he can actually work towards it (and not necessarily compare himself to it). 

Really inspection is one way of getting people to try to get gear whether that be through competition or the "hey that looks cool and i want one factor."  

• 1281 posts
    April 23, 2018 5:24 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Exactly right. It's like you can't say you want to wear it but not really wear it. Plus, a lot of time and money gets invested in armor design. If you just let people start turning it off, what's the point if spending resources making it?

Why not just make helmets and other armor that is invisible or minor graphic, say like a halo or headband. That way if a player doesn't want a helmet look or wants a minimalist helmet look, they can wear that and still have stats.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at April 23, 2018 5:26 PM PDT
    • 132 posts
    April 26, 2018 2:14 PM PDT

I do hope we have the option to hide specific gear pieces allow other players to see our gear through inspect though so they know we are geared acceptably for the encounter.

Most Helmets and shoulders are very bulky and are not appealing to look at for hours.