Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Reputation, Ignore, and Notes

• 116 posts
    April 17, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but my search yielded one post in a champion pledger only forum and another that while similiar in topic was more about account wide friends and not what I'm suggesting.

I've read and heard on streams the repeated reference to 'player reputation' that becomes important in community and group play games like EQ (and now Pantheon).  I've also read on the forums there is no intent to make a formalized 'reputation system', which I think is probably a good thing as those can easily be weaponized and used in ways in intended to harm players.

That said, I would definately like to see some expanded efforts on improving the use of tools like 'ignore'.  In past games such as EQ1 you could put someone on ignore, but weeks or months later it's hard to remember why you might have put someone on there.  I would like to see some ability to add 'notes' to records like this.  In some games you can place notes about guild members, but not non guild members.  I would love to be able to jot quick notes about cool people I've met and uncool people I've met.  The notes don't need to be public... I'd be happy if only I could access them.

I also think it would be cool if maybe you could have different options rather than just plain 'ignore'.  Like 'ignore group invites from this person', 'mute', 'mute only outside of group chat', etc.  So I could have more granular control over my interactions with people I don't like.  For example.  I met some obnonxious whiner last night in EQ on the progression server and while I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to invite him to a group or take an invite from a group he was in, he wasn't terrible at his class, so I'd probably group with him if he was in one and I didn't know it before I joined.  Being able to have finer control over those interactions would do alot to bring this type of tool into the modern MMO arena.

Also, while maybe not a global player reputation system, it might also be nice to have a 'personal' reputation system.  So you could assign points or ranks to people that only you can see.  Kinda like EVE online has.  You can set a variety of different flags around a player and even name them different things.  In EVE I had setup tags for people called 'corp thief', 'scammer', 'kill on sight', etc. to help me remember the vast array of jerks out there so I wouldn't forget and get conned/scammed/killed on my next encounter.  You could even color code the tags.  So I knew on sight when I had a red icon or yellow icon meant X or Y.

Aside from match making tools what other tools does pantheon intend to have to facilitate better human interaction?  What tools would others like to see?  Any thoughts around the ignore tool that could make it more useful that I haven't mentioned?

• 752 posts
    April 17, 2018 11:22 AM PDT

This is a quality of life fuction. Not sure if the dev's are looking into anything like an advanced friend list. They may make us do it ourselves like old days.

• 409 posts
    April 17, 2018 12:31 PM PDT

kreed99 said:

They may make us do it ourselves like old days.

Excel, ftw. Column A, name of /ignore player. Column B, nerdrage rant about why they are on /ignore. Column C, date/time of event that inspired Cloumn B nerdrage rant. 

Done. Just like the old days. I still have my enchanter's /ignore spreadsheet. It's funny as hell to read.

• 752 posts
    April 17, 2018 12:41 PM PDT

Ya i had something similar. People had to be really annoying to stay on /ignore for a long while tho.

• 613 posts
    April 17, 2018 12:52 PM PDT

I do recall the 3 ring binder with a tab for this…   Old school.  Good times…

Ox

• 25 posts
    April 17, 2018 2:22 PM PDT

My three ring binder was a color map of every zone in the game from EQ atlas.  Printed from my work.  Ahh, the days where there were no website restrictions and you could color print all day long.

• 839 posts
    April 17, 2018 4:24 PM PDT

I think there is a thread somewhere on reddit that was floating an idea i a lot of depth and a i believe the Devs were interested in picking it up, but i might have been dreaming about Pantheon again lol

Edit: this was it, maybe its not what you meant but its close

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/5zds6p/ui_request_contact_window/

also it came up on this thread

http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/8352/tracking-naughty-and-nice

This post was edited by Hokanu at April 17, 2018 4:26 PM PDT
    • 116 posts
    April 18, 2018 7:57 AM PDT

Thanks @Hokanu that's exactly what I had in mind.  Those two threads were right on point.

And yes, I had my own three ring binder with maps with markups and quest logs / notes.  I never had a ignore tab in my binder though.... but yeah easy enough if something like this isn't a priority.  But even with a spreadsheet that doesn't solve the one size fits all approach to ignore... but I'll admit in the scheme of things probably not a major priority.  If Pantheon can deliver on their promise of a return to EQ style gaming then I'll be a super happy camper.

• 12 posts
    April 18, 2018 3:59 PM PDT

Well - if the devs are going to the trouble of making a matchmaker that includes things like personal interests, then there must be room for some quality of life mechanics.  I like the idea, Monroc.  I would have used in game notes and flags for friend and ignore.  I guess I was just too lazy to make the spreadsheet ;) 

(I know - lazy ... And now I'm going to play Pantheon ... shaking head at myself before anyone else can ...)

• 313 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:39 PM PDT

Good stuff!  I would love the ability to give a personal rating (0-5 stars or something similar) to players AND have it displayed on the person's nameplate.  This should also be tied to the person's account.  So if some radom person helped me out a great deal and I give him a 5 star rating, perhaps later I come across him on an alt and I offer to return the favor.  

• 752 posts
    April 18, 2018 10:22 PM PDT
    If this does make it into game i would like to be able to have a global friends list that i can access on any character. Or at least make it easy to copy the info to new char /copyfriend char1
    • 39 posts
    April 19, 2018 1:44 PM PDT

Mornroc said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but my search yielded one post in a champion pledger only forum and another that while similiar in topic was more about account wide friends and not what I'm suggesting.

I've read and heard on streams the repeated reference to 'player reputation' that becomes important in community and group play games like EQ (and now Pantheon).  I've also read on the forums there is no intent to make a formalized 'reputation system', which I think is probably a good thing as those can easily be weaponized and used in ways in intended to harm players.

That said, I would definately like to see some expanded efforts on improving the use of tools like 'ignore'.  In past games such as EQ1 you could put someone on ignore, but weeks or months later it's hard to remember why you might have put someone on there.  I would like to see some ability to add 'notes' to records like this.  In some games you can place notes about guild members, but not non guild members.  I would love to be able to jot quick notes about cool people I've met and uncool people I've met.  The notes don't need to be public... I'd be happy if only I could access them.

I also think it would be cool if maybe you could have different options rather than just plain 'ignore'.  Like 'ignore group invites from this person', 'mute', 'mute only outside of group chat', etc.  So I could have more granular control over my interactions with people I don't like.  For example.  I met some obnonxious whiner last night in EQ on the progression server and while I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to invite him to a group or take an invite from a group he was in, he wasn't terrible at his class, so I'd probably group with him if he was in one and I didn't know it before I joined.  Being able to have finer control over those interactions would do alot to bring this type of tool into the modern MMO arena.

Also, while maybe not a global player reputation system, it might also be nice to have a 'personal' reputation system.  So you could assign points or ranks to people that only you can see.  Kinda like EVE online has.  You can set a variety of different flags around a player and even name them different things.  In EVE I had setup tags for people called 'corp thief', 'scammer', 'kill on sight', etc. to help me remember the vast array of jerks out there so I wouldn't forget and get conned/scammed/killed on my next encounter.  You could even color code the tags.  So I knew on sight when I had a red icon or yellow icon meant X or Y.

Aside from match making tools what other tools does pantheon intend to have to facilitate better human interaction?  What tools would others like to see?  Any thoughts around the ignore tool that could make it more useful that I haven't mentioned?

Agree with all but the last point as abuse of that particular system is common and easy to exploit

• 411 posts
    April 19, 2018 2:28 PM PDT

Squall said:

Mornroc said:

Agree with all but the last point as abuse of that particular system is common and easy to exploit

Mornroc's version of the system could not be exploited as far as I can tell (see the highlighted section), but I do understand your concern.

• 44 posts
    April 19, 2018 5:34 PM PDT

Well the reputation system in the old days is more of word of mouth. If you wrong a group trust me when I say the whole server will know about it very soon in chat. So thats really a reputation system with real life consequences and if poeple like you, rewards in the form of getting you help when you work on your epic weapon quests. Now, there is a faction system that is pretty deep with NPCs so thats pretty fun. In EQ, if people remember switching between Dragon and Giant factions to work on some of the end game quests. So, I like this system I think. Trust me you will get plenty of entertainment from this justice system.

-Chryos

• 2756 posts
    April 20, 2018 2:57 AM PDT

Chryos said:

Well the reputation system in the old days is more of word of mouth. If you wrong a group trust me when I say the whole server will know about it very soon in chat.

Respectfully, I maybe remember one person getting a reputation bad enough to be 'known' to anything like 'lots' of people on a server and even that was because it was mis-deeds at high level end-game stuff.

In my experience, bad behaviour had no comeback whatsoever when the community self-policed.  It was almost always one person's word against another and as often as not would lead to innocents being smeared by baddies.

It did nothing to stop day-to-day bad behaviour and unpleasantness in PUGs.

In a modern game with a community social aspect it would be madness not to have some like/dislike/upvote/downvote system. Checks and info could be added to keep it honest (eg. if someone had clearly been block-downvoted by a guild which in turn was regularly downvoted you could ignore said downvoting).

Considering VR have said a few times there will be a matchmaking system that includes hobbies and whatnot, I can't see why they wouldn't include a friend/ignore/like/dislike/whatever system of some kind.

• 1479 posts
    April 21, 2018 8:45 AM PDT

disposalist said:

Chryos said:

Well the reputation system in the old days is more of word of mouth. If you wrong a group trust me when I say the whole server will know about it very soon in chat.

Respectfully, I maybe remember one person getting a reputation bad enough to be 'known' to anything like 'lots' of people on a server and even that was because it was mis-deeds at high level end-game stuff.

In my experience, bad behaviour had no comeback whatsoever when the community self-policed.  It was almost always one person's word against another and as often as not would lead to innocents being smeared by baddies.

It did nothing to stop day-to-day bad behaviour and unpleasantness in PUGs.

In a modern game with a community social aspect it would be madness not to have some like/dislike/upvote/downvote system. Checks and info could be added to keep it honest (eg. if someone had clearly been block-downvoted by a guild which in turn was regularly downvoted you could ignore said downvoting).

Considering VR have said a few times there will be a matchmaking system that includes hobbies and whatnot, I can't see why they wouldn't include a friend/ignore/like/dislike/whatever system of some kind.

Maybe there wasn't more than one person deserving such drawback to begin with. I remember some names, eq or wow era, of people that could just trash their toon due to bad behaviour, and some I just avoided grouping everytime I had the chance.

• 24 posts
    April 23, 2018 2:09 PM PDT

Just write it on a sticky note and affix it to your monitor.   If you fill up all the way around maybe its you that needs the sticky note.

• 9115 posts
    April 23, 2018 5:25 PM PDT

Jaced said:

Just write it on a sticky note and affix it to your monitor.   If you fill up all the way around maybe its you that needs the sticky note.

Lol, I love this! :D

• 1479 posts
    April 24, 2018 1:50 AM PDT

I think VR owe us a sticky note block with every purchase of the game then !