Forums » The Summoner

If I were a Summoner...

• April 16, 2018 12:29 AM PDT

I don't intend to play a Summoner upon release, but since I'll need something to play until the Bard arrives, I found myself considering it.  Since there's almost no information about the class, I started to think about what I would want if I were a Summoner.  Here's some of the things I thought about when I put myself into that mindset:

- I'd like to be able to shape the battlefield with summoned walls and barricades.  This could take several forms: fences that an enemy would have to chop through to reach the party, mazes of paths to facilitate pulling, or narrow passageways to funnel the tide of incoming mobs.  Give me some simple building blocks and let me find out interesting ways to use them to my party's advantage.

- When things go south and people around me are dying to a horrible rampaging beast, I would naturally summon an impenetrable cage to hide in until things calmed down.  In gameplay terms, this could be a way to change "camping out" from a strange fourth-wall-breaking tactic into something that fits within the lore of the world, or perhaps merely a limited-use or very expensive Feign Death.  Maybe I'd even eventually learn to summon a box big enough to cover a buddy, too (or perhaps a cleric if my buddy wasn't around).  At the highest level, I'd expect to be able to call in a small-but-luxurious shed to house my entire party.

- Finally, and most importantly, don't treat me like some discount Wizard. Impaling spikes, scything blades, and falling objects would be my weapons of choice,  You'll never catch me tossing a fireball when materializing an enormous heated anvil above my enemies' heads is so easily within my capabilities.  In gameplay terms, this would mean that there is both a physical and an elemental component to every spell I use, each part individually subject to its corresponding mitigation system.  The result is a class whose damage is weaker in optimal conditions than either a pure spellcaster or a pure fighter, but can be more reliable and consistent over a wide range of enemy types.

I know there's supposed to be something in there about how my pets are great and the best and everything.  I think I'd rather be focused on materializing stuff from all corners of the world and the limits of my imagination and chucking it all over the battlefield...but if some of that stuff happens to have limited decision-making capabilities and motility, I suppose that's fine, too.

• April 16, 2018 3:19 AM PDT

In fact, let me take that last sentence one step further and put it in terms of implementation:

I want at least one line of spells that lets me attune to any (inanimate) model I find in the world and use it as the summoned object.  The damage and all of the mechanics should be fixed, but it should summon the object of my choice (scaled to reasonable dimensions, of course) and drop it on my target.  In addition to being a great bit of personal flavor, this would also help further the goal of encouraging players to engage meaningfully with the environment.

(Also, I think it should take fifteen minutes of concentrated, direct contact with the object to attune to it.  I want to have to convince an entire party of fellow adventurers to cover me while I stare intently at, say, the Great Fire King's personal toilet.)

• 246 posts
    April 16, 2018 6:51 AM PDT
    These are /fantastic/ ideas. I like how this approach elegantly takes advantage of existing systems to give the summoner a unique and fun niche. Making summoner damage a mix of physical and magical types is particularly clever.
    • 58 posts
    May 19, 2018 4:31 PM PDT

EQ1's Magician "had" raining swords, spikes, etc...but the hardware of the day didn't make it anything more than red-colored magic damage. If Summoner damage is physical it can have access to piercing, blunt, and slashing damage with better ratios than what normal weapons have.

One major thing that I feel needs to exist is the Summoner having access to it's own banking system (without money). There's too much talk about not having enough inventory space or strength to carry things, but it makes no sense that players will buy "caravans" or such to carry things into dungeons. Summoners could get a spell after a certain level that allows anyone to use a few inventory slots that exist in their own pocket dimension, with the amount of slots based upon the level of the character accessing the bank. This will solve a lot of inventory problems and make Summoner more useful beyond summoning mere "survival" related things. In Eq1 Wizards could port, Enchanters had extreme haste and mana regen, Necros summoned corpses, but Magician with all it's expertise in items had nothing as special (except pet equipment, suicide sticks, and Windows Vista Bags that promised 100% WR).

A player may fetch a very heavy throwing item, a bane damage weapon, situational clickies, ingredients for fletching, quest items, etc. by simply asking a Summoner to let them access it. If items and equipment really have situational advantages, this would be a big deal.

• 48 posts
    June 9, 2018 3:52 PM PDT

I think the new Summoner class might be a ton of fun depending on how it's done, and I say this as a person who almost always avoids pet class's, So High hopes that the Summoner is more like actively summoning astral entities that attack, CC or heal depending on what you summon, and then disappear so you can then summon the next cool thing to give desired effects, I'm picturing stuff you summoned in FF7 back in the day.

I like the above idea of a summoning line that are objects that could do multiple types of dmg, psy and heat for instance if you drop a hot rock on someone.

Instead of just the tired old trope of summoning the correct type of pet before a battle and then blasting stuff as a weak version of a wizard.

So I can see the Summoner possibly being a helper for all roles, and that would be pretty neat and fun to play.