Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Concerning Ratkin.

• 1399 posts
    April 12, 2018 6:43 PM PDT

Ratkin's in the Newsletter

I don't think I have ever seen so much lore in one place about a MOB in all my time gaming. It's possible I suppose I have just not been paying enough attention but ether way I would like to hear others thoughts on this write up. We're there any gems of info they gave us?

Could "vermin mania" be exploited to aid in pulling from the colonies? Take out the wandering Ratkin's that would normally bring supplies back forcing them to expelle members of the colonie?

Speaking... "It is worth noting that some Ratkin have shown an ability to comprehend more advanced languages" although it would seem they can't speak now... is this alluding to them eventually learning to speak at that point a playable race? (Setting the stage for future expansions?)

"Drawn Sickness" increased strength yet diminished length of life...are they describing an Elite Ratkin or does "Yet the sickness may lie dormant in a Ratkin for their entire life, as it often needs specific external or internal activators to begin the transformation process." Imply this is some bezerker mode?

This post was edited by Zorkon at April 12, 2018 6:52 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    April 13, 2018 8:44 AM PDT

Definitely a nice write-up.

I find it hard to take anything too seriously at this point in pre-Alpha. So much not only can but will change, often dramatically. 

But that picture on the cover of the newsletter was *really* nice!

• 613 posts
    April 13, 2018 3:04 PM PDT

Very good write up.  I stopped and paused on this part:

The Drawn. Within certain Ratkin sleeps a devious bloodborne disease most commonly confused with rabies. Called the "Drawn Sickness", a name which comes from the term "drawn from the blood" and also their reputation for being drawn to strong mana fields.

Caster beware is what I was getting there.  These are going be worse than the ROUS's we are normally dealing with in games.  Pretty cool.  8)

Ox

• 3016 posts
    April 13, 2018 4:35 PM PDT

Oxillion said:

The Drawn. Within certain Ratkin sleeps a devious bloodborne disease most commonly confused with rabies. Called the "Drawn Sickness", a name which comes from the term "drawn from the blood" and also their reputation for being drawn to strong mana fields.

Caster beware is what I was getting there.  These are going be worse than the ROUS's we are normally dealing with in games.  Pretty cool.  8)

Ox

HOPEFULLY...other classes in the group..are penalized as well,  I keep seeing all these things that punish the caster....maybe we're an easy target.  Loss of stamina for the melee would be a good counter balance. :)

• 613 posts
    April 16, 2018 12:31 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

HOPEFULLY...other classes in the group..are penalized as well,  I keep seeing all these things that punish the caster....maybe we're an easy target.  Loss of stamina for the melee would be a good counter balance. :)

I agree, the dynamic of fighting something like this is always a challenge.  Spells casting to protect or misdirect the creature and hope it does not go after the situations like stamina based or that ilk.  Makes for a challenging encounter if you have a mix of the beasts.  Dungeon runs will be a trick with these in any significant numbers.  

Ox

This post was edited by Oxillion at April 16, 2018 12:32 PM PDT
    • 12 posts
    April 16, 2018 4:50 PM PDT

I think I remember seeing some drawn mobs in the Halnir Cave segment with Cohh.  They didn't seem too bad . . . Oh wait  . . .  I maybe that was the one where they wiped like 6 times ;)  I might have to review the footage.  Anyways, I just echo what Zorkon mentioned:  I can't ever remember a mere mob having so much attention to lore detail.  This kind of thing makes the game come alive for me as much in the imagination as on the screen - a fusion for which, I find, I am quite a junkie.  Pretty excited, and hope they keep things like this coming.

• 1399 posts
    April 16, 2018 8:12 PM PDT

Deleted. . I went totally off topic.

Good catch with the Mana angle Ox. 

This post was edited by Zorkon at April 16, 2018 8:22 PM PDT