Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

PAX East - Panel speaker!

• 9 posts
    April 4, 2018 11:37 AM PDT

Hi, there!!

My daughter (Tyr Fothergill) was not only in Eternal Wrath back in the day (EQ-Ayonae Ro), but was also in EQII and Vanguard (tester and player).  She's a panellist on two different panels in PAX East this weekend, if any of you are interested!  I asked her to stop by the Pantheon booth if she can (she'll be at the Ethics booth in the Diversity Lounge).  I hope she can!!!  If I can't be there, I'd love to hear her impressions!!

Ethics of Pokémon Go

• Fri 04/06 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    • Bobcat Theatre

Is it okay to spoof in Pokémon Go? Even if I’ll never go to Australia? Isn’t it cheating to use a Pokémon Go Plus instead of catching things myself? Should I really stuff animals into tiny balls and make them fight each other? Join Dr. Catherine Flick, an ethicist; Dr. Propriety, organizer of the PAX East Pokémon League; and Dr. Tyr Fothergill, an expert in human-nonhuman relations for a discussion about Dr. Flick’s recent research into the ethics of playing Pokémon Go!

Panelists

Catherine Flick [Senior Lecturer, De Montfort University], Tyr Fothergill [Research Fellow, De Montfort University], Dr. Propriety [Organizer, PAX Pokemon League]

and

BRAAAAAAAINS: Archaeology and Philosophy of Zombies in Games

• Sat 04/07 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
    • Condor Theatre

These are not the zombies you’ve fragged! Archaeologist Dr. Tyr Fothergill and Ethicist Dr. Catherine Flick take you on a historical zombie adventure beyond Romero’s shambling hordes and stories about Haitian voodoo. Did you know that the D&D wondrous item: Hand of Glory was inspired by real artifacts from Western Europe? Or that miasmic "zombification" in many video games reflects medieval ideas of contagion? Also, find out how zombies play a role in current neuroscience and ethics research!

Panelists

Dr. Tyr Fothergill [Research Fellow, Human Brain Project, De Montfort University], Dr. Catherine Flick [Senior Lecturer in Computing and Social Responsibility, De Montfort University]