Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

New Skill Idea

• 1281 posts
    March 23, 2018 2:53 PM PDT

We don't have much of an idea on what non-combat based skills are in the game yet, but I had an idea for one....  It could be tied to a specific class, like Rogue, or maybe everyone has the potential for it....  I don't know.  I just want to know what you guys think....

So here is my idea...  A skill based around the perception system, maybe some classes, like Rogues, have a better innate ability at it, but around sensing traps and sensing secret/hidden doors/passages.  Not something that pops up ! like older style quests or glowy like some games do for traps/secret doors, but something that pops up a "hmmm" type of scroll on the display, sorta like the Perception system does now.

Now for Examples:

1.  You enter a room that doesn't appear to have anything in it, but there appears to be loot in the room.  What you don't know, if you don't have a high enough "perception" skill of "detect traps", is that all of the loot is a trap, and if you loot any of it, several doors in the walls open up and out pour mobs.  If you *DO* have a high enough "perception" skill of "detect traps" you get the Perception scroll on your screen saying that you sense that there is something wrong with the loot.  Which leads us to example 2.

2.  If you have a high enough "perception" skill in "detect secret passages", you can see the doors where the mobs are hiding behind waiting to be sprung from the trapped loot.  Detecting each door, for the purposes of this example, could allow you to "disarm traps" on each door individually to kill the mobs behind them.  Then once they are all dead, you can loot the treasure safely.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by Kalok at March 23, 2018 2:53 PM PDT
    • 839 posts
    March 23, 2018 3:05 PM PDT

Like a spidey sense! would be cool if it had a triggered a fairly discreet sound depending on the type of trap etc.  But i guess to many people play without sound. I think it would be great but better without the scroll appearing as the trigger, just a discreet glow on the edge of the screen even, that just pulses for a amoment and then doesnt trigger again, so you have to be being wary!

• 1281 posts
    March 23, 2018 3:15 PM PDT

Hokanu said:

Like a spidey sense! would be cool if it had a triggered a fairly discreet sound depending on the type of trap etc.  But i guess to many people play without sound. I think it would be great but better without the scroll appearing as the trigger, just a discreet glow on the edge of the screen even, that just pulses for a amoment and then doesnt trigger again, so you have to be being wary!

Maybe both a sound and the scroll....  Some sort of "quizzical" sound.

• 139 posts
    March 23, 2018 3:34 PM PDT

Like setting off a trap makes a big crash and racket, the guards from a nearby room come rushing in

• 1281 posts
    March 23, 2018 3:38 PM PDT

Doford said:

Like setting off a trap makes a big crash and racket, the guards from a nearby room come rushing in

I like your idea....  For the purposes of my example only, it would trip a pressure plate that would open hidden doors in the wall that your group could probably do fine against if you opened them one at a time manually, but the trap trips them all and you're basically zerg'ed by the mobs hidden behind them.

• 1281 posts
    April 1, 2018 8:52 AM PDT

ROFL....  Guess nobody liked my idea.....

• 108 posts
    April 1, 2018 9:34 AM PDT

I like your idea its similar to how DDO does it. You get a pop up that you sense a trap or secret passage and need to search for it. Then you can disable it or find it if secret door.

I would probably break it up more dependent on the environment.

The rogue might be best finding secret doors and traps which were man/humanoid made for example. While a ranger might be better at finding traps and secret ways in a natural environment.

A dwarf may be best at finding traps and secret doors in man/humanoid made Stone etc etc.

An elf may have good perception roles for traps and secret paths in woodland settings etc etc.

Also spells by certain classes could magically find secret doors, or traps etc etc.

I wrote something similar in the rogue forums with more detail if your interested a while back.

• 2756 posts
    April 2, 2018 6:49 AM PDT

Yeah I like the idea.

Perception in other games has a similar mechanic/dynamic and it works nicely.

I'd also like to see Perception help with giving you clues about monsters' weaknesses and attributes.

• 2138 posts
    April 2, 2018 7:46 AM PDT

Like a disarm trap, sense skill for rogues only? maybe they can tell if its mechanical (pickable) or magic (spell that would also trigger the NPC zerg if not dispelled).

I like the idea of a NPC zerg as a fail mechanism in the room- The NPC's learned from old school MMO raid tacticsw! (but later frowned upon) They can zerg too like we used to! haha.

Reminds me of that scene in LoTR movie  where Gandalf exlaims "fool of a took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you'll be rid of you're styupidity!" when he throws that stone down the well causing a chain reaction of debris. lol ( I had to look up the full quote, i only remembered "fool of a took!")