Forums » News and Announcements

Spring has Sprung with our March Newsletter

• 643 posts
    March 15, 2018 3:05 PM PDT

I agree with Criimson.  We do not need female fantasy characters to be cartoon sexualized but the fact is a female warrior wears a breastplate that protects and covers her body.  It's not a flat (nor cylindrical) tube so it should have some shape to it to be realistic.

• 1 posts
    March 16, 2018 7:30 AM PDT

I am so excited for this! An open world dungeon sounds like an amazing adventure!

• 2752 posts
    March 16, 2018 10:45 AM PDT

fazool said:

I agree with Criimson.  We do not need female fantasy characters to be cartoon sexualized but the fact is a female warrior wears a breastplate that protects and covers her body.  It's not a flat (nor cylindrical) tube so it should have some shape to it to be realistic.

Actually, having breast molds in armor would be a terrible idea and would likely get you killed by deflecting blows straight toward your center vitals.

"Let’s start with some relevant history: armor was uncomfortable, guys. It was heavy, hot or cold depending on the weather, and it made you sweat. (Speaking as someone who has donned chainmail shirts before, I can attest to all of these things.) To negate some of its more uncomfortable effects, all armored soldiers wore padded gambesons and the like. Once this padding was added, the shape of the wearer was practically neutralized. So the need for special boob-shaped armor is already suspect at best.

Now we’ll apply some science!

Let’s begin by stating the simple purpose of plate armor—to deflect blows from weaponry. Assuming that you are avoiding the blow of a sword, your armor should be designed so that the blade glances off your body, away from your chest. If your armor is breast-shaped, you are in fact increasing the likelihood that a blade blow will slide inward, toward the center of your chest, the very place you are trying to keep safe.

But that’s not all! Let’s say you even fall onto your boob-conscious armor. The divet separating each breast will dig into your chest, doing you injury. It might even break your breastbone. With a strong enough blow to the chest, it could fracture your sternum entirely, destroying your heart and lungs, instantly killing you. It is literally a death trap—you are wearing armor that acts as a perpetual spear directed at some of your most vulnerable body parts. It’s just not smart."

https://www.tor.com/2013/05/06/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you/

This post was edited by Iksar at March 16, 2018 10:45 AM PDT
    • 137 posts
    March 17, 2018 5:33 AM PDT

The female form is that of beauty, Pantheon is a fantasy game that is just as much about the visuals as it is about function and form. I tend to play female toons mainly because I play for hours on end, with the camera zoomed out, so I prefer to look at a female character over another male......I have mirrors for that. Personally I prefer there to be thought to having female armor be shapely. I am not saying you have to go over the top with something like Lineage, but I do prefer their be some type of breast definition and some acknowledgement that females have curves when designing armor. 

I dunno, I like the way females look, maybe im weird =P

• 690 posts
    March 17, 2018 5:50 AM PDT

Riply said:

The female form is that of beauty, Pantheon is a fantasy game that is just as much about the visuals as it is about function and form. I tend to play female toons mainly because I play for hours on end, with the camera zoomed out, so I prefer to look at a female character over another male......I have mirrors for that. Personally I prefer there to be thought to having female armor be shapely. I am not saying you have to go over the top with something like Lineage, but I do prefer their be some type of breast definition and some acknowledgement that females have curves when designing armor. 

The current mold of armor doesn't necessarily show off a male's curves either. I wouldn't agree with doing so to appease the crowd who wants to see that.

Look, I'm the guy who downloads the skyrim female mods. I just don't think this should be forced on everyone instead of what makes more sense for a high fantasy mmo.  Truly immersive and realistic armors, and characters who are no more sexualized then anyone who is going to battle, make sense no matter if you want it or not. This is not true for character sexualization, as proven by Iksar's quote.  Maybe we can appease all crowds with cosmetic gear, or by allowing the community to make some light character cosmetic mods for themselves. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 17, 2018 6:09 AM PDT
    • 137 posts
    March 17, 2018 6:17 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Riply said:

The current mold of armor doesn't necessarily show off a male's curves either. I wouldn't agree with doing so to appease the crowd who wants to see that.

Look, I'm the guy who downloads the skyrim female mods. I just don't think this should be forced on everyone instead of what makes more sense for a high fantasy mmo, such as truly immersive and realistic armor, and characters who are no more sexualized then anyone who is going to battle..  Maybe we can appease all crowds with cosmetic gear, or by allowing the community to make some light character cosmetic mods for themselves. 

Meh, I honestly don't have a super strong oppinion one way or another, but one could argue that having all armor to be true to what "makes sense for a high fantasy mmo" would be just as forced as something that highlights gender. Besides, this is a high fantasy mmo with magic, fishy Myr people, hulking Ogers and Gnomes that don't have skin, what exactly makes sense for armor? Kind of silly if you think about it.

The only strong opinion I have about this type of thing (and not specifically about gender armor differences), is that if you make it bland (everything looks the same), it makes the world that much more blah EQ2 felt very much that way for a long time to me.

• 9115 posts
    March 17, 2018 7:40 AM PDT

The discussion on female armour has not only been discussed and given official answers already in another thread but ran out of steam and was closed, please refer to it here and read the replies from me to understand our position better. 

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5287/request-female-character-model-in-the-next-stream/view/page/1

This
    is the newsletter thread and not the place for this type of discussion, so please have a read of the other thread and let it rest as our position has not changed since my replies in that thread.

• 137 posts
    March 17, 2018 1:03 PM PDT

meh.....delete please, no need for drama

This post was edited by Riply at March 17, 2018 1:51 PM PDT