Forums » The Dark Myr

Racial Passive

• 122 posts
    March 22, 2018 7:27 AM PDT

Hmm interesting..soo the developers may have penalties also? That would be interesting. I could see Ogres being stronger on hitting, but slower in attack speed. I was thinking they might get some ultra vision since it can get pretty dark in the ocean. 

• 3424 posts
    March 22, 2018 9:59 AM PDT

Watemper said:

Hmm interesting..soo the developers may have penalties also? That would be interesting. I could see Ogres being stronger on hitting, but slower in attack speed. I was thinking they might get some ultra vision since it can get pretty dark in the ocean. 

Maybe, but the penalties won't be too serious:

4.1 How extreme will Pantheon go to make classes and races feel truly different from one another? Will Pantheon go as far as making some races have experience penalties when compared to others?

One’s race and class should definitely result in a different experience and playing an alternate character should feel reasonably different. As for significant racial penalties, like experience penalties, we don't think anything like that will be necessary in Pantheon.

• 122 posts
    March 22, 2018 11:28 AM PDT

Well, I wasn't thinking of penalities like exp, but more so them going from their enviroment into another enviroment that they, as a race, don't like due to some characteristics about their character. I guess that is what I am looking at. But I guess most of these can be done with stat distributions.

• 3424 posts
    March 22, 2018 3:24 PM PDT

Watemper said:

Well, I wasn't thinking of penalities like exp, but more so them going from their enviroment into another enviroment that they, as a race, don't like due to some characteristics about their character. I guess that is what I am looking at. But I guess most of these can be done with stat distributions.

Ah yeah I imagine things like that would tie into the Climate system. We know that some races will naturally be able to acclimate to certain climates better than others, such as a Dwarf having higher Frigid acclimatization due to them living in an icy region.  It stands to reason that they would at the same time also have a harder time acclimating to Scorching climates :)

• 1692 posts
    March 22, 2018 3:28 PM PDT

I imagine there will be some racial penalties as well, but nothing like exp penalties and the like.

Some EQ races had them. Things like lower resists, increased consumption rates, lack of infra/ultra vision. I'm sure there could be interesting but not too serious things to have to counter any potential boons a race has. 

• 136 posts
    March 23, 2018 7:00 PM PDT

I'm hoping the passive is useful, swimming/enduring breath, would be a waste to me. I don't expect that much content to be water based and who wants a racial that is only viable 5% of the time.

• 608 posts
    March 23, 2018 8:28 PM PDT

Filzin said:

I'm hoping the passive is useful, swimming/enduring breath, would be a waste to me. I don't expect that much content to be water based and who wants a racial that is only viable 5% of the time.

That really depends what are the other's races racials on the same rank.

Dwarves running faster and seeing better in undergrounds ?

Humans having fairer prices everywhere ?

Elves running faster in outdoor with nightvision ?

Thoses are not gamebreaking and can usually by offset by a few items, even if they define somehow, the core of a race.

Of course if ogres get a stun immunity, it's gonna be really bad for others.

• 136 posts
    March 24, 2018 9:38 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

[blockquote]Filzin said:

That really depends what are the other's races racials on the same rank.

Dwarves running faster and seeing better in undergrounds ?

Humans having fairer prices everywhere ?

Elves running faster in outdoor with nightvision ?

Thoses are not gamebreaking and can usually by offset by a few items, even if they define somehow, the core of a race.

Of course if ogres get a stun immunity, it's gonna be really bad for others.

[/blockquote]

Exactly. I like the idea of playing the Dark Myr, but the Ogre stun immunity was exactly the racial I was thinking about. I was just too good from a tanking perspective not to go that way if you were a tank. I am leaning toward the Dark Myr, but in the end it will be dependant on the racial abilty.

• 122 posts
    March 27, 2018 8:25 AM PDT

Yea, the Ogre stun immunity made it to where you had to be an Ogre warrior for serious raid guilds. I am hoping that the racial passives are more out of combat convienence rather than fight changing stuff like that. 

• 75 posts
    March 29, 2018 8:57 AM PDT

Instead of ultravision, how about bioluminescence? No need for torches.. aka you always have both hands free.  Would make this a valuable class for groups in dark areas for the early game.

• 67 posts
    April 30, 2018 6:32 AM PDT

in terms of sight perhaps a form of  echolocation i think i heard there was some parts of zones that had total darkness not even infravision worked so maybe =)

• 20 posts
    June 2, 2018 6:34 AM PDT

How about the ability to shoot out ink while underwater, like a squid, blinding their opponents. 

• 124 posts
    June 2, 2018 10:25 AM PDT

How about a racial crafting ability of being able to fish better?

• 608 posts
    June 2, 2018 11:07 AM PDT

Koala said:

Underwater fishing, no fishing pole or spear required !

• 124 posts
    June 3, 2018 11:35 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Ahh but, remember water is poisonous to them - at least at first [grin]

• 781 posts
    June 8, 2018 1:02 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

[blockquote]Koala said:

[/blockquote]

Huh. So, no pole and no spear, which means they're ....what ....just running around underwater and smacking fish around? 

At what point do we not call it "fishing" and start to just call it, y'know, killing fish? The image in my head makes me giggle a bit. 

• 608 posts
    June 8, 2018 5:01 PM PDT

Jaw fishing, like ... well, other fish.

• 3424 posts
    June 11, 2018 3:33 AM PDT

But what if other players on the shore are able to catch Dark Myr when fishing? lol watch out for those floating worms!

• 122 posts
    June 13, 2018 8:18 AM PDT

On a serious note..( for some reason with the jaw fishing I imagined trying to explain how I caught a dark myr druid and now he/she is the main healer in my group) Maybe Dark Myr can be better at fishing in terms of locating where the fish are. Some sort of sonar or instinct. I could see this being something useful. It can also benefit others when fishing to follow some dark myr around to find the hot spots..or hire a dark myr to help them spot fish.