Forums » The Dark Myr

Racial Passive

• 271 posts
    February 27, 2018 7:58 AM PST

What racial passives do you think Dark Myr will have?

My guess would probably be some sort of endure breathe and being an efficient swimmer. However, I am not sure how good the others might be and if they would benefit in battle or not.

• 278 posts
    February 27, 2018 2:52 PM PST

I would agree they live under water , at same time many classes play them so maybe even endurance ?

Nice racial class looking forward to a reveal :)

• 1885 posts
    February 27, 2018 3:14 PM PST

I wish they would clarify the Dark Myr race a little bit more. It sounds to me from what limited info we have that they are no longer merfolk (permanently have legs, no flukes) and can breathe underwater only for a very limited time as the water is still poisonous to them. 

This post was edited by Iksar at February 27, 2018 3:15 PM PST
    • 271 posts
    February 28, 2018 7:29 AM PST

Yea, I thought they were more amphibious, so they could do both. But yea, I am not sure what to expect, but I do hope they have some sort of useful racial passive. I have been thinking of creatures like sirens and mermaids that usually have some sort of hypnotic lull that could be cool.

• 3036 posts
    March 1, 2018 1:51 PM PST

I am hoping more will be discussed perhaps in a Dev roundtable..I am guessing the Dark Myr will be more prominent when we start hearing about ocean environments?   

That graphic DID display Dark Myr with both legs AND tail..if you mouse over the lower portion of their body.    So to me,  that particular information is STILL up in the air...perhaps to be decided on a future date? 

We haven't heard anything about oceans and bodies of water..my hunch is that..the two are connected.   Perhaps mode of transportation as well,   regular boats that take you to designated ports and so on.    As for racial passives,  breathing under water,  like the Iksar did in EQ.     Particular classes like enchanter...for one.    Possible pets, great white shark, dolphin..(my imagination working here lol)

Here's the graphic that STILL shows both tail and legs:   https://www.pantheonmmo.com/races/dark_myr/ ;      mouse over lower body..to see. 

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at March 1, 2018 1:53 PM PST
    • 501 posts
    March 1, 2018 2:51 PM PST

I suspect they are still trying to work out armour issues.

Do you need two greaves for your dark myr warrior, or just one?   

What happens to your boots when you enter the water?  Do they fall off and sink to the bottom or do you tie them together and hang them around your neck while you're swimming? 

Do you lose foot slot stats in merfolk form?

• 1885 posts
    March 1, 2018 4:56 PM PST

I think that picture is just giving an idea of what they once were...I don't know how they would fit that in unless they change the lore. 

"I could only lie still, my body just beginning to lose the deep cold of a life beneath the waves. Yet I could not stop from weeping.”.

And:

"I could not even move my face as the surf rolled with perfect calm over my nose and mouth. Though I dared not drown, for such a twisted fate that would have been."

Both point to them unable to breathe or live underwater. The Nythirian Red are, from what I can tell, undead Myr:

"Even so, Nythir’s closest followers would not move a fin or flinch muscle. Though they drown, their allegiance would not succumb."

"I saw the Nythirian Guard with their twin tridents grasped for battle, hovering below the surface. In my near paralysis, face half under the water and one eye above, I betook the whole of them in perfect battle formation, firm against the death burning up within their bodies. I saw their skin turn red as the breath dried out of them in the acrid underwater breeze, their pose unyielding as statues."

Then you have: 

" leveraging the essence of her immortality to recreate the Myr anew, even giving them a lung by which to breath on land and legs with which to walk. In a brilliant moment of sacrifice, the miraculous exchange saved the Myr, transforming them forever...

"I gasped when I saw the first warrior break the surface, the air silent but for the cry of his assault. Yet soon there were dozens leaping from the surf, all descending upon Syronai, our Lady helpless as her devoted. Helpless as a fish warming on a poacher’s deck before he rips it open. Nythir’s Guard tore into her as if she were a threat, vengeance raw and without gratitude. In their hearts Syronai had participated in her own slaughter by violating their bodies..."

Which says she recreated them with lungs and legs instead of gill ands flukes so that the race could survive as the water was poison to them. The Nythir Guard were furious that she changed/violated their bodies and killed her in her mortal form. 

• 125 posts
    March 10, 2018 11:59 AM PST

I agree Iksar.

I've been trying to decide which race to play, and I read the lore intro very carefully. It seems that Syronai (in order to save them), recreated them so that they were unable to live underwater ever again. Now they have legs and lungs, and they killed her for it. Such a sad story!

• 271 posts
    March 12, 2018 12:12 PM PDT

Yea, but there is still a chance that off of some dark myr specific class you can obtain your fins, or w/e. Maybe a spell or ability that transforms you. Not alot of info out yet.

• 125 posts
    March 12, 2018 1:06 PM PDT

I'd love that Watemper. And not just for the Myr, you could put race quests - to change or add some racial trait - the quest chains would necessarily be long/complicated/hard.

• 304 posts
    March 15, 2018 12:25 AM PDT

I hope there are more reasons for the Nythirians' murder of Syronai. Just being upset they could live by breathing above water isn't enough - especially considering the Myr loved Syronai the most. There must be another reason, and Ermos is probably culpable...

[edit - skip to the bottom and bypass this coming paragraph first =P]

By the way Iksar, I don't think that quote indicates the Nythirian Red were undead -

"Even so, Nythir’s closest followers would not move a fin or flinch muscle. Though they drown, their allegiance would not succumb."

I understood this as "even though they would drown, they would not move because of their allegiance to Nythir." It could certainly be understood as "though they then drowned..", I don't think that was the intent. Why an allegiance to Nythir would prevent them from moving is not clear to me - wtf Nythir? Hehe. I'm also not clear on what they would be moving for - this line follows the telling of Nythir's sacrificial water bubble mixing with the poisonous waters. Are they refraining from writhing in agony? Or had Syronai already given them all lungs by this point - and their refusal to move reflected their refusal to accept their new form, which also reflected their allegiance to Nythir? If that's the sense, why does an allegiance to Nythir involve a crazy glorification of their original form? Was Nythir overly concerned with the original form of the Myr? Are we supposed to think that because he was Issul's God of Battle, he and his followers glorified the form of the Myr as perfectly suited to battle? Their original form was spiritually connected to war?

Basically, why wouldn't they move? What allegiance prevented them from moving? And not moving in relation to what? Not moving out of poisonous waters (which they did to inexplicably murder Syronai) or not moving to writhe in pain (and show weakness?) as the poison waters flooded around them after Nythir's sacrifice?

Hehe, thanks to anyone willing to address those questions.

EDIT: And I just reread the quote "Even so, Nythir’s closest followers would not move a fin or flinch muscle. Though they drown, their allegiance would not succumb."

And I think I misread it above. =P. So now it seems like "though they drowned then, their allegiance would not die." So now the question is: what allegiance would not die? Their allegiance to Nythir? So why does an allegiance to Nythir lead them to kill Syronai? What allegiance would not succumb?

I leave all that other interpretation above intact just in case there's any merit to it, but I see now this second interpretation is probably correct.

This post was edited by Alexander at March 15, 2018 12:56 AM PDT
    • 1885 posts
    March 15, 2018 12:08 PM PDT

Alexander said:

I hope there are more reasons for the Nythirians' murder of Syronai. Just being upset they could live by breathing above water isn't enough - especially considering the Myr loved Syronai the most. There must be another reason, and Ermos is probably culpable...

EDIT: And I just reread the quote "Even so, Nythir’s closest followers would not move a fin or flinch muscle. Though they drown, their allegiance would not succumb."

And I think I misread it above. =P. So now it seems like "though they drowned then, their allegiance would not die." So now the question is: what allegiance would not die? Their allegiance to Nythir? So why does an allegiance to Nythir lead them to kill Syronai? What allegiance would not succumb?

I leave all that other interpretation above intact just in case there's any merit to it, but I see now this second interpretation is probably correct.

I think it's that the Nytherian Guard were most/only devout to Nythir who sacrificed himself to try and save them from the poison waters. Syronai then came and her sacrifice both made Nythir's death a complete waste and it changed who they are as a race by altering their form, taking their very identities and way of life from them. They would have rather died proud warriors, lords of the deep; their allegiance was only to Nythir, the God of Battle. 

"In their hearts Syronai had participated in her own slaughter by violating their bodies, as Myr and as warriors. She had dishonored them, and far too late we understood just how prepared to die our protector brothers had been."

• 304 posts
    March 15, 2018 7:28 PM PDT

Ok, but -

"With the oceans liberated, the gods came together to bless and rule over the Myr. Songs beneath the sea declared that the Myr carried "the heartbeat of Issul herself" and the race flourished under a unified pantheon. Yet of all the gods, Syronai remained their first love."

Seems like a bit of a thin reason to murder their true love! I'd bet there's more to their betrayal, probably Ermos - I very much hope so, at least. Why would the Nythirians feel they were so dishonored? Nythir valued their original forms as spiritually connected to battle so much that they'd rather not live? Wouldn't the God of Battle value survival/adaptation? And again, it's Syronai, their reason for being! Something's... fishy... here.

This post was edited by Alexander at March 15, 2018 7:35 PM PDT
    • 1885 posts
    March 16, 2018 11:09 AM PDT

I believe they use "their" in a general sense, like most Myr loved her more than all other gods but some did not. Those that go out of their way to form a group called The Nytherian Guard would likely be devout to him over all, and being the god of battle/war they are very likely ferociously loyal and militant. Changing their form reduced these proud warriors from kings of the deep, masters of the oceans, to nothing more than wobbly-legged land creatures: masters of naught. From an apex predator to a middling prey animal.

This post was edited by Iksar at March 16, 2018 11:16 AM PDT
    • 304 posts
    March 18, 2018 12:28 AM PDT
    Alright, but still, to murder their prime creator over it? Syronai, who still occupied the central place in most (and the lore seems to indicate all.. /adjustsglasses) Myrs' hearts? Bit of an absolutely insane response, eh? Those Nythirians were like crazed babies, eh? Losing their temper and murdering the prime force of good in the Myrs' lives over a well-intentioned, life-saving adjustment to the Myrs' place in the natural order? So they had a temper tantrum over not being the bosses of the sea anymore (and living instead of dying)? Enough to murder Syronai?! If it was done without a corrupting influence, those Nythirians must have been seriously deranged. But Nythir seems like a sensible god, sacrificing himself nobly. The lore states there was a unified pantheon in Issul, suggesting harmony. So think there's a bit of an inconsistency?
    • 1885 posts
    March 18, 2018 2:41 PM PDT

Biting the hand that feeds is an age old thing. Think about nobility, do you think they would respond favorably to having their riches taken from them and pushed into being a peasant? If God took everything from a king and made him poor do you think he would still look kindly upon him? Plenty of stories throughout history relating humans turning on gods for being slighted etc.

• 26 posts
    March 18, 2018 3:42 PM PDT
    Ultravision... Because it's dark underwater...
    • 304 posts
    March 19, 2018 2:16 AM PDT

Aye, but in this case the transformation was for their survival - without it, they would have died. I imagine it would have been apparent Syronai was acting for their benefit - and not a distant future benefit, one they could immediately appreciate. If a subject knew their ruler was forced into a decision either to let them die or to take away their wealth, but certainly not forbid future wealth, and could reasonably assume they'd be (greatly) assisted, would the subject not prefer its lord choose life?

I appreciate the discussion!

This post was edited by Alexander at March 19, 2018 2:19 AM PDT
    • 271 posts
    March 19, 2018 9:36 AM PDT

I think you are assuming that Dark Myr react logically. I honestly believe that Dark Myr are more of a human type of race, hence all the classes. So they probably have several different group identites that unified them under their God. Once that got destroyed I think a lot of the groups fragmented and created war between different groups. Just like humans can be good or evil, I think Dark Myr carry that same trait, atleast as an identity to there race.

• 1885 posts
    March 19, 2018 12:11 PM PDT

It might also be of note that it seems like the Nythirian Guard members had already died/drown and were (seemingly) undead by the time the transformation happened, so it wasn't for their survival as they already made their defiant stand in the poison waters and drown. 

"Nythir’s Guard tore into her as if she were a threat, vengeance raw and without gratitude. In their hearts Syronai had participated in her own slaughter by violating their bodies, as Myr and as warriors. She had dishonored them, and far too late we understood just how prepared to die our protector brothers had been."

Further reinforcing the proud warrior caste feeling entirely betrayed by Syronai by being made weak and having their way of life ripped from them. Like humans in the real world, it's a case of "I'd rather die than give up..." 

Hah, it actually made me think of the movie Forrest Gump where Lieutenant Dan wanted to die in Vietnam as his family before him were all soldiers and one died in every previous American war:

"That night Lt. Dan angrily pulls Forrest out of his bed and yells at him for saving his life and blaming him for becoming crippled. He angrily asks Forrest if he knows what it's like, not to be able to use one's legs, and Forrest (As he had had leg braces as a child) replies that he does. After calming down a bit, Lt. Dan then confesses to Forrest that he had a destiny which was to die in the field a hero, like his ancestors, and that Forrest cheated him out of it..."

• 304 posts
    March 19, 2018 4:14 PM PDT

Yar Watemper, it's good to consider the Myr are potentially more similar to the Humans. Could have been an illogical act, but it's just such an illogical act, their target being Syronai..

And interesting about them being undead at the time of attack - so somehow their natural deathvelopment (sorry) was violated. Maybe. This makes me consider Ermos even more strongly as the culprit.

I understand they'd be deeply upset they were made potentially feeble, but there's not much to suggest they would stay that way. Syronai, probably more than any other, would likely have been able to help them become strong again. It doesn't seem like that weakness would have had to be permanent, as Dan's was. But that's a bit of (fair) conjecture.

So the Nythirians were a bit short-sighted, possessed by something, or the possibility of them regaining their battle prowess ended with their transformation, and they wouldn't abide it. I lean toward the short-sighted or possessed interpretation - but in any case the Nythirians caused the true tragedy of the Myr. So why, then, do we think the Myr curse Ermos, and not the Red, upon greeting and departure? 

And special respect to Istuulamae, whose prose is a delight to read.

• 1885 posts
    March 19, 2018 4:56 PM PDT

Curse Ermos for inaction while he watched Syronai assailed without helping. Presumeably Ermos is a god of Terminus and so they blame everything on him, right down to the planet having poisonous water.

• 304 posts
    March 19, 2018 10:03 PM PDT

I wasn't clear from the quote whether Ermos is indicted as having some part in causing the poison, or if he was just included with the waters of Terminus as causes of their doom.

Also -

"With her people still in harm’s keep, Syronai rushed to help the Myr, concentrating her power to transform and adapt the bodies she had created long ago. Yet mysteriously her aid was kept at bay."

This seems like Ermos, eh? So it seems something prevented her from helping the Myr breathe the poisonous water, and instead sort of forced her to adapt them to dry land. We should have some fan drawings of what we think Ermos looks like, at this stage.

• 271 posts
    March 20, 2018 8:49 AM PDT

Soooo...back on topic...anyone have any theorycrafting of racials for Dark Myr?

• 1885 posts
    March 20, 2018 2:07 PM PDT

Innate pressure resist/acclimation level, swimming bonus, penalty to lightning/shock resist, ???