Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

FFXI Private Server (Classic 75 CAP)

• 17 posts
    February 26, 2018 1:51 PM PST

Hey everyone!

If you’re like me you’ve been trying to scratch that MMO itch while waiting for the release of pantheon. No other MMO’s out there have my interest and I really only want to play old school style MMOs.

I recently discovered Nasomi’s private server for FFXI, and I have been having an absolute blast playing on this server. The server has about 500 people online on average and last weekend hit somewhere around 625.

This server trys its best to bring back “Classic FFXI” at 75 CAP during the Chains of Promathia expansion, and it does a great job of it with some minor quirks.

FFXI is an amazing MMO that I played on live servers for 8 years (off and on). If you’ve never played it, it is an incredible experience similar to that of everquest! I have heard many people who have played both games tell me that FFXI took a lot of great ideas from everquest and expanded on it.

So if you’ve never played, or you’re looking to experience FFXI again. Come Check out Nasomi’s private server. Its completely free and the installation is a BREEEZE!

https://na.nasomi.com/ (I am not associated with the server at all, I am just an passionate FFXI player excited about the classic FFXI experience)

I have also been streaming this server on twitch daily from usually 7PM-12PM PST.

http://www.twitch.tv/technyze

Come say hey. If you have questions about the server or general questions about FFXI. I would be glad to answer them!

• 260 posts
    February 26, 2018 11:29 PM PST

It asks some stuipd questions to try and register. Get them all wrong :)

If they are in game questions, makes it hard for someone who necer played it.

• 17 posts
    March 5, 2019 3:47 PM PST

Just wanted to bump this post real quick. This server has groven over double what it was when i posted this a year ago.

Usually 1200-1700 online any given time and sometimes higher! 

• 3852 posts
    March 6, 2019 9:37 AM PST

A classic style game that I actually have never played could be worth a try but .....

I disliked many things about FFXIV and assumed based on the name that FFXI was likely to be similar but with worse graphics and a more outdated and less flexible interface (in other words significantly older).

The thing I disliked *most* were that you couldn't progress without doing dozens or hundreds of dungeons accessed through a group finder with people who often didn't speak English and if they did never bothered to demonstrate that ability for an entire dungeon. Often people on consoles where you had to wait endlessly for them to even load. Worst of all dungeons using the approach most games save for raids - at middle to high levels you need to know the mechanics and bosses weren't a matter of how good you or your character was or what gear you had - they were a matter of going from pixel to pixel in a certain order following the script. Fighting the boss was strictly incidental. I am exaggerating a little but not all that much.

The other thing I hated was that the game was strictly designed for one character with no "alts". You couldn't even mail things to a second characrer without finding someone else on a different account to help out. The game design called for one character to play every class you wanted. Not a ridiculous approach but so alien to the way I like to play.

I can live with things being dated and the graphics being a bit weak as long as they aren't terrible - if this is the case I am not saying they are, just guessing. But I won't knowingly play another game where the idea is one character does everything - no alts wanted. Or another game where you have to dance through scores or hundreds of scripted dungeons to advance the quest lines.

I could do more research but this forum is an outlet for time we would much rather be spending playing Pantheon. So this post gives me something to do that may actually wind up beneficial (I am *so* getting tired of LOTRO) and gives you something to do if you so choose to try and encourage a new player in a game you like. 

Assuming the private server welcomes people that have never played and can *not* answer questions based on having played before - see Boulda's post above. Would you suggest I try the game on the official servers (assuming there still are any) first? I don't mind spending a bit of money to get the game and/or subscribe for a bit if you tell me it isn't like FFXIV in the ways I disliked most. FFXIV was very good in some *other* ways I don't mean to imply it was awful by any means.

This post was edited by dorotea at March 6, 2019 9:42 AM PST
    • 17 posts
    March 6, 2019 11:24 AM PST

dorotea said:

A classic style game that I actually have never played could be worth a try but .....

I disliked many things about FFXIV and assumed based on the name that FFXI was likely to be similar but with worse graphics and a more outdated and less flexible interface (in other words significantly older).

The thing I disliked *most* were that you couldn't progress without doing dozens or hundreds of dungeons accessed through a group finder with people who often didn't speak English and if they did never bothered to demonstrate that ability for an entire dungeon. Often people on consoles where you had to wait endlessly for them to even load. Worst of all dungeons using the approach most games save for raids - at middle to high levels you need to know the mechanics and bosses weren't a matter of how good you or your character was or what gear you had - they were a matter of going from pixel to pixel in a certain order following the script. Fighting the boss was strictly incidental. I am exaggerating a little but not all that much.

The other thing I hated was that the game was strictly designed for one character with no "alts". You couldn't even mail things to a second characrer without finding someone else on a different account to help out. The game design called for one character to play every class you wanted. Not a ridiculous approach but so alien to the way I like to play.

I can live with things being dated and the graphics being a bit weak as long as they aren't terrible - if this is the case I am not saying they are, just guessing. But I won't knowingly play another game where the idea is one character does everything - no alts wanted. Or another game where you have to dance through scores or hundreds of scripted dungeons to advance the quest lines.

I could do more research but this forum is an outlet for time we would much rather be spending playing Pantheon. So this post gives me something to do that may actually wind up beneficial (I am *so* getting tired of LOTRO) and gives you something to do if you so choose to try and encourage a new player in a game you like. 

Assuming the private server welcomes people that have never played and can *not* answer questions based on having played before - see Boulda's post above. Would you suggest I try the game on the official servers (assuming there still are any) first? I don't mind spending a bit of money to get the game and/or subscribe for a bit if you tell me it isn't like FFXIV in the ways I disliked most. FFXIV was very good in some *other* ways I don't mean to imply it was awful by any means.

Hello!

I love that you skeptical and ask questions before you jump into something you may not enjoy. Let me start off by saying that FFXI and FFXIV are complete opposite in about 95% of regards. While you can play every job and do every craft on one character in FFXI just like FFXIV, it has a much more meaningful reason that FFXIV. On the private server you can have a limit of 3 characters. One character must be in towns at all time and the other two can be out in the field of combat. I personally play two characters at the same time if that is something that you are into. The FFXI community is very friendly and welcoming of new players. You can always stop by my stream or PM me here if u have questions as well!

• 3852 posts
    March 6, 2019 12:23 PM PST

Thank you for the quick reply.  Unfortunately it fairly well confirms my suspicion that FFXI is not the ideal choice for the next year for an altoholic that hates scripted dungeon combat where groupmates rarely even talk to you. On the official servers there is no regional breakdown so even more than with FFXIV one is probably likely to be playing with many people whose primary language is Japanese or Korean and that cannot talk to an English speaker without using the translation software. Given that this is an Asian based game I suspect that a good percentage of the people on the private server also have issues with English. Though, of course, some will speak it quite well.

Off to check on the progress of the Astellia western release (Korean MMO with a focus on old-school play - I can't say I have great hope for it).