Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Players role within the story

• 19 posts
    February 24, 2018 6:29 PM PST

Hello folks,

I pledged fairly late since I was unsure if I wanted to be disappointed by yet another MMO project, but seeing is how nobody else seems to be attemping another MMO project like Pantheon, this might be last shot we get at something of this caliber.

So far I'm impressed with everything.

The setting of the game seems very interesting and I've been keeping up on the lore news because I want to have a sense of familiarity with the setting by the time the game hits the point of a wider release. My question is about the story and any information on how it will play out and what all the players role in it will be.

I have a very strange relationship with stories in MMOs, well RPGs in general. I don't generally mind if they bad at all. So long as they don't take me out of the experience by forcing my character to be something I don't want them to be. Take Guild Wars 2 for example... game has tons of freedom, lots of ways to explore and plenty of combat actions. But no matter how I feel about what I am doing and no matter what I intent for my character he will always be an obnoxious goody-two-shoes voiced by Nolan North. This kills it for me every single time. To the point where I don't even bother. On the flip side, games like The Secret World or even The Division have incredibly linear missions but because my character is never specificly stated to be somebody I feel a lot better about the role-playing aspects in those games. I guess what I really like is how Final Fantasy XI handled it... your character is just a faceless nobody... one of many. It never feels akward to be out doing a million other things because the sense of urgency just isn't there for the most part.

• 557 posts
    February 24, 2018 7:00 PM PST

Heya, Jhey.   Welcome to the Pantheon community.

Pantheon isn't going to be one of those games which drops you into a story.  It's a game that drops you into a world.   The stories you write will be your own and those of the friends you make in the game.