Forums » News and Announcements

Feb Newsletter - State of the Game and a Sneak Peek at Elves

• VR Staff
    • 104 posts
    February 14, 2018 11:42 AM PST

While February may be the shortest month of the year, that won't stop us from going big with our newsletter, and what better way to achieve that than with a brand new State of the Game from none other than our Lead Game Designer and Creative Director; Chris "Joppa" Perkins. We also jump into the declassified information frenzy with our very own sneak peek at the Elves of Terminus; join Forrest Imel, Jared Pullen, Justin Gerhart and Chris Perkins as they discuss the creative process in bringing the Elves to life. Finally, we are also proud to highlight Philo, our community member of the month.

Thanks for reading! Let's do it…

• 19 posts
    February 14, 2018 11:50 AM PST

Awsome, cannot wait to read.

• 780 posts
    February 14, 2018 12:14 PM PST

This month's newsletter was the best you've ever given us.  It was pretty crazy to have actual news in the newsletter.  I like it when you tell us things we don't already know.  It took me an hour to get through it all, and I'm pretty excited to see what I'm guessing will be an Elf Ranger in the PAX stream.  Great work. 

• 142 posts
    February 14, 2018 12:21 PM PST

This is a fantastic newsletter. The elv breakdown is awesome. And the "in-progress" list and the "soon to come to PA2" definitely pumped up the hype meter.

• 1281 posts
    February 14, 2018 12:31 PM PST

Great update. Nice to see Jason Weimann has joined the team. Cool to see original Pantheon devs back working on the game.

• 35 posts
    February 14, 2018 12:47 PM PST

Thank you! I might just play an elf now, very beautiful art and thought gone into them.

• 3237 posts
    February 14, 2018 1:17 PM PST

I agree that this has been the most fulfilling newsletter to date.  I know that it would be difficult to pack that much information into each and every one of them but this newsletter really set the bar for me.  The breakdown on the elves was awesome as was the "State of the Game" section.  Kudos to the team for going above and beyond with this one!

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 14, 2018 1:18 PM PST
    • 220 posts
    February 14, 2018 1:19 PM PST
    This is the richest news letter to date! Amazing to see the progress and fantastic to gain elven insight! It will be extremely hard to top this in the near future.
    • 363 posts
    February 14, 2018 1:45 PM PST

Awesome newsletter, lots of great info. Have to admit I'm a little disappointed to hear that the Ranger seems to be turning into another "jack of all trades, master of none" class, instead of specializing in one form of combat that separates it from other classes. Oh well, at least I got Monk & Dire Lord to look forward to. :)

• 523 posts
    February 14, 2018 2:08 PM PST

Rock solid monthly news release.  Picked up some of the slack for the last few newsletters.  Elves sound solid.  Figured it was going to go in this type of direciton with the halflings effectively taking over the wood elf role.  

• 2752 posts
    February 14, 2018 2:20 PM PST

Great job! 

Showcase the Skar next :)

• 213 posts
    February 14, 2018 2:30 PM PST

You guys are such talented people!  The art is stunning!!  I can't wait to see more, and I'm very impressed with the attention to detail and vision.  I know many people who don't dabble in the arts may not realize how much work is actually going down right now but just picking out your color palletes can be a job in and of itself.  Colors are very important to art and convey feeling and emotion.  I think you're doing a wonderful job and I'm very happy to see the direction you guys are going in.  

love the giant tree on the gate.  Like a tree of life thing, the elven architecture is really elegant and I think reflects the race well.  I totally wish I could meet you guys!  Come to Seattle sometime!  

Anyway, great work you guys are really hard workers and I'm very excited to be checking out your work in game when regular alpha starts which to me feels like it might be forever :p.   I'll wait, but dang if my excitement isn't just killin me!

• 3852 posts
    February 14, 2018 4:28 PM PST

Best newsletter yet I agree. 

• 249 posts
    February 14, 2018 5:59 PM PST
    Wasn't considering elves before....that has changed. Can't wait to see the city!
    • 2138 posts
    February 14, 2018 6:14 PM PST

I enjoyed reading the whole thing, I may re-read it again.

I also liked the art conception shots for architecture, and the elf character designs and color- culminating with the very nice picture of the male and female elf with appropriate color tablet.

I noticed they mentioned ferret people- I like the "inside" nature of the reference. Then I compared it to the comment about rangers maybe being jack of all trades. Then from memory i remebered the article mentioning a ferret in a pouch and a lynx with the ranger. If rangers could quest/learn/get two animals, one small and one large-ish that seems interesting to me. 

• 287 posts
    February 14, 2018 7:36 PM PST

I am definitly making an elf as I generally do in MMO's.  Love the lore between the different 3 types. GREAT newslettter! 

This post was edited by bryanleo9 at February 14, 2018 7:36 PM PST
    • 429 posts
    February 14, 2018 7:50 PM PST

Fantastic read , The Elves not only look great but the color palate is so soothing to the eye and such a perfect palate for the ember elves . The information given with added humor was great :)

The concept art is beautiful my favorite by far ... The Team Rocks as do the Elves :):):) My Race will most certainly be a Elf .

• 3016 posts
    February 14, 2018 8:53 PM PST

I like the innovative take on the Elves,  Ember and Ashen..got a peek at the hairstyles...yay for once someone gets it.   Next on my list of pet peeves is helmets...hope you impress me there too :)  I usually toggle helmets/hats off in other games because they just don't do it for me.  lol    Waiting on our talented artists. :)

Cana

• 8 posts
    February 14, 2018 10:33 PM PST

Sneak Peek at Elves eh? 

Being the Ogre i am lemme get the lube! Woot Newsletter!

• 2756 posts
    February 15, 2018 12:31 AM PST

Lovely to see so much interesting info and especially in the form of dev commentary - those guys sound like they are having fun and are so, so enthusiastic!  Awesome.

The Pre-Alpha investors are being rewarded nicely!  I am sooo jelly, though!  It sounds like it will be many weeks until Pre-Alpha 2 has been and gone so I can get in on the Alpha.

I'm almost literally hopping from one foot to the other like I need to pee!

I wantss it preciouss, givess it to meeeee!

• 173 posts
    February 15, 2018 7:28 AM PST

Now this is the good suff.  Awesome read and more awesome work folks.  Simply amazing.

• 3016 posts
    February 15, 2018 11:47 AM PST

Any news on our mysterious Dark Myr yet? hehe I am dying to know :)

• 39 posts
    February 15, 2018 1:31 PM PST

Wow, what a fantastic news letter, I'm blown away with the depth and detail - over 6000 words written and beautfully constructed with some awesome illustrations and abstract art.

I want whatever the PR team are drinking,  stunning work! :)

• 217 posts
    February 16, 2018 6:15 AM PST

Great read,

Love all the information youve released and things are looking fantastic!! Way to go team VR!

ELVES! AHHHH, how am I going to choose a race when theyre all looking so good and the attention to detail is so wonderful to see.  I cant wait to see how the gnomes and their background, look(s), as well as cityscape comes together! Huzzah!

You guys are killin it!!! Cant wait for alpha!

-Vig

• 98 posts
    February 16, 2018 8:51 AM PST

After checking out the racial concept art, I am really hoping there's a bigger variety in facial structure in the works than what these illustrations suggest. I've worked on a fan project involving creating/touching up HD versions of the original EverQuest character textures and I can attest they were made by crafty art wizards who could completely change how the same low polygon model looked with a few simple brush strokes while still keeping each race distinct and recognizable.

Beyond that, nice newsletter! :)