Forums » The Ogres

What? (Concept Art)

• 67 posts
    February 12, 2018 12:36 PM PST

Ok, I haven't found any discussion talking about it, so I am forced to. Look at this man.

Look at his left hand. Look reeeeeeal close. What is up with that hand? Is it a sick, hook claw, are ogres a race with one proper hand? Is it a prosthetic, did this ogre become crippled in combat and decided to fashion a claw made from bone to the stump? Is the claw signifiantly bulkier than it appears, and it's simply a weapon with an ogre's meaty paw cunningly disguised within?

I am fairly certain it is the last, but the proportions of his right hand and the perspective (and stance) of the whole body makes me pause and consider that there isn't room for an ogre-sized fist to be gripping that amalgamation of bone, leather, and cloth. The way his biceps are not tensed on the left arms tells me he is, at best, loosely gripping it if it's a weapon, and the straps on the cloth makes it appear that it's intended to not be easily removed.

What is up with this man's left hand VR? Ogres demand to know!

This post was edited by Darchias at February 12, 2018 12:40 PM PST
    • 3601 posts
    February 12, 2018 12:49 PM PST

Haha I think it's some sort of hand-to-hand weapon and his real hand is wrapped in that blueish cloth, which is attached to the bones - so basically it's a punching weapon with his hand inside it. I wouldn't look into the details that close though... it is just concept art after all haha :)

• 1177 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:26 PM PST

Yeah, I figured it was a hand-to-hand weapon also, though I guess It could be a prosthetic.  I'm really pleased with the ogre concept art and the ogres we've seen in the streams, though.  I don't have any complaints at all.

EDIT:  Spelling fail, which is immortalized in the quote below.  =(

This post was edited by Shucklighter at February 13, 2018 2:01 AM PST
    • 501 posts
    February 12, 2018 2:50 PM PST

I completely agree, Shucklighter.  I think the Pantheon ogre model is about the best in any game to date.  I will miss the classic EQ butt scratchers though.   

• 3601 posts
    February 12, 2018 4:11 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

Yeah, I figured it was a hand-to-hand weapon also, though I guess It could be a prostethic.  I'm really pleased with the ogre concept art and the ogres we've seen in the streams, though.  I don't have any complaints at all.

Agreed. It looks even better in streams... where, by the way, we can see that most Ogres do in fact have two hands haha :) Concept art truly is just a concept.

• 67 posts
    February 12, 2018 11:07 PM PST

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm loving the Ogre. A lot. I just want answers. You guys have told me Ogres seen in streams have two hands. This answers my most pressing concern. Now most of my questions are just, 'what in the name of Rothuk is that weapon.' It's... really strange.

• 271 posts
    February 14, 2018 9:08 PM PST

Anomaly of the concept art, haha. Our Ogres are not half lobster.

This post was edited by Istuulamae at February 14, 2018 9:08 PM PST