Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Server Reset - Now What?

• 9115 posts
    January 22, 2018 3:59 AM PST

When the servers come back up after a reset or update, what is the first thing you usually check out? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

• 2886 posts
    January 22, 2018 4:03 AM PST

Before I even log in, I thoroughly read the patch notes so I can stay up to date about what's going on.

• 6 posts
    January 22, 2018 4:14 AM PST
    Same, but I tend to focus on the class patch notes and then I quickly go over the other stuff.
    • 1315 posts
    January 22, 2018 4:43 AM PST

Check all the locations of rare spawn mobs and materials that are likely to pop up on server reset.  Second, try to corner the market on what ever item that just got buffed before other people think to buy up the previously cheap ones.

Trasak

• 37 posts
    January 22, 2018 4:49 AM PST

i read patch notes then i play the game as usual praying i didnt log out in a dangerous place :D

• 87 posts
    January 22, 2018 5:26 AM PST

i usually just do a quick check on patch notes to se if something is changed for my toon then i just go to play !

ooh ofcourse i have brewed a big pot of coffie  =D

• 151 posts
    January 22, 2018 5:37 AM PST

Trasak said:

Check all the locations of rare spawn mobs and materials that are likely to pop up on server reset.  Second, try to corner the market on what ever item that just got buffed before other people think to buy up the previously cheap ones.

Trasak

This is something that I kind of hope goes away. The whole repoping of rare spawn mobs after a reset. Would love to see them just have their respawn timers randomized on a server reset. One of the things I hated about EQ was that some of the stuff could be put on lockdown by a guild if they knew the last time it was killed. Make it so no one ever know when something is going to pop, even after a server reset.

• 1315 posts
    January 22, 2018 5:44 AM PST

Sabot said:

This is something that I kind of hope goes away. The whole repoping of rare spawn mobs after a reset. Would love to see them just have their respawn timers randomized on a server reset. One of the things I hated about EQ was that some of the stuff could be put on lockdown by a guild if they knew the last time it was killed. Make it so no one ever know when something is going to pop, even after a server reset.

You and me both actually.  I partially made the post to highlight one of the issues with open world content and the value of taking control of respawn cycles which usually is related to server resets.  I would prefer to have resets not affect my game play at all.

• 52 posts
    January 22, 2018 5:52 AM PST

If it was planned, was it for patching...if so, then I read patch notes and then play as normal.  If it was to fix stability issues, I hope it worked.  If it wasn't a planned shutdown, I hope I didn't lose progress if they had to rollback a few hours :)

• 3852 posts
    January 22, 2018 7:09 AM PST

I too would prefer resets to change nothing - with the obvious exception that if the reset was for a patch the patch would be presumably making some changes.

I will keep an eye on whether a patch changes something that will affect prices. For example adding new recipes may increase the price of the materials they use for a while.

• 557 posts
    January 22, 2018 7:57 AM PST

Sabot said:

I couldn't agree more, Sabot.  Timers need to be randomized.  I'd take it a little farther and suggest that wherever possible, the spawn locations should also be randomized.  Add to that, I'd like to see drops happen from a specific level or tier of boss mob, rather than have a specific item always drop from the same boss.  Still make certain drops rare, but remove the ability for a specific guild or group to be able to lock down a specific epic drop, thus holding an entire class for ransom.

• 557 posts
    January 22, 2018 8:02 AM PST

During the patch/reboot, I catch up on all the community forum posts that I haven't read because I've been too busy playing.   After reading, I'll join whatever thread is screaming at the devs for taking the server offline for 20 minutes and probably PM the product manager to tell him how unfair the timing of the reboot is.  Today is my day off and blah blah...

Then I'll start hammering the login button until my hand cramps.   When I finally get in, I'll ask in /ooc if anyone else got booted and if anyone can tell me the name of my group leader before the reboot.

• 1785 posts
    January 22, 2018 8:46 AM PST

1) Read patch notes for anything that applies to me

2) Assume that the server is going to be a madhouse with everyone racing for spawns, etc, and craft that night instead.

• 151 posts
    January 22, 2018 9:21 AM PST

Celandor said:

Sabot said:

I couldn't agree more, Sabot.  Timers need to be randomized.  I'd take it a little farther and suggest that wherever possible, the spawn locations should also be randomized.  Add to that, I'd like to see drops happen from a specific level or tier of boss mob, rather than have a specific item always drop from the same boss.  Still make certain drops rare, but remove the ability for a specific guild or group to be able to lock down a specific epic drop, thus holding an entire class for ransom.

I feel you on the random spawn locations. Or at the very least have 5 or more possible spawn locations in a given area. As far as loot. I still want to see loot make sense as far as lore goes. If the sword of Awesomeness is related to Sir Awesome, he should be the only place you can get it. All for having comperable items drop from other places though. Not being able to kill a specific spawn should not handicap you. There needs to be a work around for bottlenecks in play. Not saying everything should be available to everyone all the time, just saying no one should be able to lock down something so that they control the flow of an item into the game.

I just want to see a lot of randomness introduced into spawns and to some extent, but not as extreme into loot. I don't want to see a server reset wiping everything back to zero. Should be a very easy thing to do.

• 999 posts
    January 22, 2018 9:22 AM PST

The Tavern for the newest rumors.. or maybe that's out of game?

• 1714 posts
    January 22, 2018 9:22 AM PST

Kilsin said:

When the servers come back up after a reset or update, what is the first thing you usually check out? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

I log in my dozen level 1 rangers I've stashed around the world at rare spawns. 

• 99 posts
    January 22, 2018 9:53 AM PST
    Check for Journey mans boots spawn :) cause everyone loved SoW boots
    • 22 posts
    January 22, 2018 9:55 AM PST

During everquest i would have to agree with some of the other posters, after a server reset rare spawns would be pretty much paramount. But on an update reading patch notes on what changes to my class and whatnot would be a quick browse so as to stay on top. The rest of the patch notes I would do a quick once-over to see if there was anything that might effect my class either positively or negatively.

• 121 posts
    January 22, 2018 11:29 AM PST
    First thing I check out are my friends and guild lists to see who on so I can get a group going
    • 108 posts
    January 22, 2018 12:41 PM PST

depends on the length of the patch! Usually that means i go fishing while the patch downloads...

I live in the mountains with a T1 connection 1.5 mb upload and download...I remember back in the 1999 i would have killed for a connection like this to me it feels like dial up did back then!

• 2138 posts
    January 22, 2018 4:04 PM PST

Read the notes and look for jokes, otherwise play as usual and see if anything has changed in my play-style.

• 1921 posts
    January 22, 2018 5:35 PM PST

Kilsin said:

When the servers come back up after a reset or update, what is the first thing you usually check out? ...

patch notes.

undocumented nerfs.

inevitable bugs.

• 470 posts
    January 22, 2018 9:53 PM PST

Patch notes or maybe a specific spawn I've been working on.

• 1095 posts
    January 23, 2018 9:55 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Well before they went down I woul dof logged out by a rare spawn. So I will check my login spot.

• 690 posts
    January 23, 2018 11:47 AM PST

Kilsin said:

If it makes me update for a while I will probably just find out what the update is right then so I can jump into play.

If it doesn't make me update for a while, I start playing anyways, and ask general chat/guild what the changes are.