Forums » Crafting and Gathering

FISHING!? Your thoughts!?

• 11 posts
    January 20, 2018 12:46 AM PST

OK So to be simple and sweet how do you want fishing to work in pantheon???

Super interactive?

Afk farm?

Netlfix and click? 

a BDO style of fishing where yes you can basically fish "Afkish" (or in BDOs case fully afk) But if you are active and aware you gain more. 

or perhaps like Final Fantasy XIV? 

• 29 posts
    January 20, 2018 2:46 AM PST

Keep it simple . Differents types of bait maybe for different fish. No AFK fishing but also not super interactive

• 557 posts
    January 20, 2018 5:42 AM PST

You should have near-zero chance of successfully fishing or any other rudimentary skill if you are AFK.  It doesn't have to be overly complex, but there should be visual cues of actions to take.  Other games have used a ripple in the water or a bobber which briefly submerges when the fish takes the bait.  The problem is that even if you make it 90% less likely to successfully AFK fish, the botter can just stay online longer and farm resources and increase their skill.

First, you should not get skill-ups unless you are successful.  Learning 999 ways not to do something does not improve your skill unless you are occasionally successful.  It's your success from which you learn.  The rest is just background information on what not to do another time.  Give the ways to do something incorrectly are essentially infinite, learning from your mistakes on its own is not gaining skill.

Second, there should be two actions required to fish with a random timer between casting and the required event response.  Perhaps a good system would be a ripple in the water when the fish nibbles on your bait.  You set the hook, wait to see the fish break the surface of the water, then reel it in.  

This would add a bit more excitement and perhaps realism to the activity of fishing while at the same time making fish botting less productive.

• 1785 posts
    January 20, 2018 7:40 AM PST

Celandor said:

You should have near-zero chance of successfully fishing or any other rudimentary skill if you are AFK.  It doesn't have to be overly complex, but there should be visual cues of actions to take.  Other games have used a ripple in the water or a bobber which briefly submerges when the fish takes the bait.  The problem is that even if you make it 90% less likely to successfully AFK fish, the botter can just stay online longer and farm resources and increase their skill.

First, you should not get skill-ups unless you are successful.  Learning 999 ways not to do something does not improve your skill unless you are occasionally successful.  It's your success from which you learn.  The rest is just background information on what not to do another time.  Give the ways to do something incorrectly are essentially infinite, learning from your mistakes on its own is not gaining skill.

Second, there should be two actions required to fish with a random timer between casting and the required event response.  Perhaps a good system would be a ripple in the water when the fish nibbles on your bait.  You set the hook, wait to see the fish break the surface of the water, then reel it in.  

This would add a bit more excitement and perhaps realism to the activity of fishing while at the same time making fish botting less productive.

I agree with all of this except the "no skillups on failure" part.

I do think FFXIV did a good job with their fishing implementation, though I don't know that we need to do fishwheeling/mooching in Pantheon.  But having time of day, weather, and bait all matter for determining which fish can be caught adds lots of depth in my opinion.

• 633 posts
    January 20, 2018 8:57 AM PST

I never fished in ArcheAge, but my wife loved fishing in ArcheAge.  It had a simple yet interactive fishing game that worked really well from what I saw.  You basically didn't do anything while your line sat out there, but once a fish took the bait you had to do certain actions to counter the actions of the fish.  Such as loosening the line when the fish is pulling away, or reeling the line when the fish gets closer, or pulling left or right to go along with the fish.  Each of these actions would "damage" the fish, and when it reached "0 life" you could jump in the water and grab the fish.

• 105 posts
    January 20, 2018 10:37 AM PST

I'd like to see something complex, more than just clicking at the right time, a proper fishing sub-game.

Then you could have different rods for different pools, different bait for different catches, fishing up treasure maps or rusty keys that will lead you on a treasure hunt. It would also be nice if fish led to the best food items in the game when cooked properly, to give high end fishing a real purpose in the world and to give people who have invested significant time into fishing a suitable reward. 

Edit - There is already a thread on this, a mere few down below... https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2873/fishing

This post was edited by Kipling at January 20, 2018 10:39 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 20, 2018 11:01 AM PST

No afk anything in Pantheon..period.   I love fishing,  and I plan to be at the keyboard to do so.

• 294 posts
    January 21, 2018 5:33 AM PST

Dwarves like to eat fish. Dwarves like to go fishing. It is fun to pull up an old boot once in a great while too, especially if you happen to find a silver coin tucked in the bottom of it.

• 258 posts
    January 21, 2018 9:49 AM PST

I think there should be minimal interaction but No AFK fishing. Basically: You cast a line in the water. You watch. You wait. When you see a visual indication that you need to reel something in, you click another button to reel it in. If you wait too long, it goes away and you have to reel in and recast. If you click reel in too early, you get nothing. Perhaps player errors lock you out for 10 seconds or so... That way it's harder for people to abuse the system.

Or... whatever mechanics make it difficult to do any sort of AFK fishing but not so complicated that fishing becomes a headache. Just like in RL, I think it should be pretty relaxing :D I do like in-game fishing hehe

The main issue is people will be able to acquire treasure and/or treasure maps and other goodies... With these sorts of awesome rewards on the line (baha...) it's important to make fishing an activity that people can't abuse.

• 77 posts
    January 21, 2018 8:37 PM PST

I like the idea of simple, yet no AFK. AFK would reduce the value of fish in the game, moreover AFK activities do not fit in with the tenets of the game. What I have appreciated about fishing in other MMO's is the opportunity to just stop and relax and do something rather simple, while appreciating the vistas around me. I've had memorable experiences in other MMO's where I was talking with guild mates while just throwing a line down and watching the world go by.

I figure the rest of the game is so interactive and group orientated, people who only have 15 minutes to play on a particular day can pick up their rod, catch a few fish then log out.

It would also be cool to have a title for somehow attaining a master angler status.

• 2752 posts
    January 22, 2018 11:39 AM PST

Make fishing work like Stardew Valley and we are golden. 

• 2886 posts
    January 22, 2018 12:27 PM PST

You may want to continue the discussion in this thread: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2873/fishing

Or this one for Champions: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1655/fishing

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 22, 2018 12:28 PM PST